Skip to content

Request: Carsomyr Halberd

Necroscope86Necroscope86 Member Posts: 79
edited April 2017 in BGII:EE Mods
Hi There.
I'm currently recording all of BG1/SOD/EE/TOB for Youtube, but I'm wondering if anyone could help me.
CHARNAME is a Cavalier, and obviously I love Carsomyr - but I prefer how Halberds look.
Is there anybody who could potentially help me make a Carsomyr Halberd Equivalent?
I wont be giving it to myself until I take out Firkraag to stay in line with when the REAL Carsomyr appears - Playing with SCS Improved Dragons ;).

It'll have similar stats to Carsomyr, or maybe slightly inferior - thinking some kind of half way house between Carsomyr and Dragons Breath, but overall weaker than Car/DB on there own - I happen to think Car is a little OP myself, but still love it.

I'd be happy to give you a shoutout when the videos go live for anybody who can help? :wink:

I seem to recall many years ago I used to actually MAKE my own items and import them into the game, which I believe is still possible, but I often used to create weapons that would bork the game - I was only young back then, and I dont want to break anything :blush:

The change is pretty much just as I love how the Halberds look in comparision to 2Handers, and I'm not wanting to make the game any easier on myself - Hell, a little harder actually!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    That sounds easy enough. I could try to whip something up on my own based on this, or you could give me some specifics you would like. Let me know what you think...
  • Necroscope86Necroscope86 Member Posts: 79
    Why thank you sir! Much appreciate the response.
    I'd like it to have the base 1d12+5 like Carsomyr if thats possible. Iirc Halberds are normally 1d10.

Name: Celestial Grace (As I love Celestial Fury)
    Halberd +5, Speed 5
    50% Magic Resistance
    +1 Fire, +1 Cold, +1 Acid, +1 Electric on hit.
    Whilst equipped Protection from Evil
    Whilst equipped Immunity to Level Drain

Not sure if there is a decent Graphical Halberd - as I'm a Cavalier, likely something blue/goldy colour and glowing would be fitting graphics wise?

Please take liberty with the item description, mention your username or something, and how you met my CHARNAME (Harry) , as it'll be cool as on Youtube people will be seeing your work ^_^.
    "This Halberd belonged to the Celestial being known only as Tresset. He gifted it to Harry of Candlekeep etc etc :P"

I dont think thats overly powerful, but its certainly less powerful than Car. What do you think?
    A halberd with those powers is certainly doable, although I do question whether or not that is actually less powerful than Carsomyr. I would say those powers would make it about on par with Carsomyr actually for several reasons, and it is certainly much stronger than Dragon's Breath. Still, I aim to please, and if that is what you want I can certainly make it happen.

Graphically, I am somewhat limited to what already exists in the game. I imagine I can pull it off though.

If you are curious about why I think it is about as powerful as Carsomyr, here are my reasons:

Does more damage than Carsomyr in most cases; Carsomyr only does bonus damage to CE creatures and this would do bonus damage to all creatures.

50% MR alone is an incredibly powerful buff, probably the strongest one Carsomyr had.

Protection from Evil would give +2 armor vs. evil constantly... Most enemies in BG2 are evil so this would be a rather large boost compared to most non-armor items that raise AC.

Immunity to Level Drain is a somewhat rare buff and incredibly useful, making it quite valuable.

Again, I have no problem making it do all this, but I don't agree that it is weaker than Carsomyr.
    Hmm fair point sir. How about drop it to. Only protection from evil. And +1 fire and +1 electric?
    In fact... +1 acid +1 cold ^_^. The fire one might be too useful
    Ok then. If you don't mind, I did decide to alter the enchantments slightly to make the halberd more in line with a classic holy avenger weapon. As far as I know, all holy avengers tend to have similar enchantments: Dispelling, Bonus Damage to Evil, and Magic Resistance. So to make it a proper Holy Avenger, I gave it these properties, albeit weaker than the ones Carsomyr has.

Here is what I have:
    Thac0 +5
    1d12+5 slashing or piercing damage +1 acid damage, +1 electrical damage
    +5 magical damage vs. evil
    Protection from Evil while equipped
    20% magic resistance
    25% chance to Dispel Magic on hit

Slightly better than Dragon's Breath but quite a bit worse than Carsomyr, I would say.

All I have to do now is come up with a nice description and change its name.
    Wow that sounds exactly like what I was after bud!
    Ok, It is done now. Let me know if you have any issues with it and I will look into it.

To install just extract the contents of the attached folder to your game directory and run the file named setup-Celestial_Grace.exe and follow the instructions on screen.

Some notes:
    I didn't actually put the item in the game so you will have to create it with the console when you are ready. I recommend doing so right after you beat Firkraag.
    C:CreateItem("cgrace")
    I made the names and pronouns in the description of the item change to match the name and gender of your character. Kind of a neat tick and one I hadn't used before now, so I thought I would mention that.

Enjoy!
    Wow it is honestly awesome my friend! - Love, LOVE the description. Youll be getting a shoutout in my video haha. Do you have anything youd like me to promote? Also - only a side thought, is there anyway to make the flashing colours more just goldish - it keeps going purple at the moment haha. Still love it though! Youve done a fantastic job
    You could tinker with the color glow pulse effects in NearInfinity. I tried to make it blue and gold as you said. The blue admittedly doesn't look all that blue, but it was as blue as I could get it. I suppose I could tinker with it more, but I am kinda tired at the moment since I have been up for quite a while with relatively little sleep.

As for promoting, I dunno. I made a small bunch of tweaks and fixes a while back, but I haven't updated it in a while. It would be nice if you could promote Beamdog and the EE's in general, if you are willing. Just be careful about it; there are a lot of Beamdog haters out there and they seem willing to stoop pretty darn low to bash Beamdog. Of those two I would honestly appreciate support for Beamdog a bit more, I think. It is up to you though.
    I'll do both bud. Hmm okidoke, I'll try and edit it :D. Again, thank you for your help!
    Hmm, I'm playing around with NearInfinity.. I'll get there xD