Skip to content

BG original experience

ilhdrilhdr Member Posts: 33
I'll start a new playthrough, and my plan is to play it as much as possible as the original BG, that I didn't play it.

- Don't use any new item
- Don't use any class kit
- Don't be a half-orc
- Don't dual wield
- Don't use style proficiencies
- Don't use rest until healed

Anything more?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    just remember that if you import a bgee character into SoA you will not be able to choose a class kit if you aren't kitted in bgee
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    get a mod that alter weapon proficiencies to bg1 like, wider weapon groups, like large swords, blunt weapons etc.
    ThacoBell
  • VitharVithar Member Posts: 70
    @ilhdr Remember in classic BG the characters didn't run - they walked.
    BigfishAerakar
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    No quickloot bar or highlight button
    Ammo Stacks cap at 20
    Can't quickslot a bow or 2-handed weapon if you're wearing a shield
    Certain autopause conditions unavailable (but I don't remember which)
    Thieves can't set traps
    Don't put any thief points in Detect Illusion
    ThacoBell
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    No barbarian.
    No monk.
    No half-orc.

ThacoBell
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    If you're going to go through all this trouble, why not just play the original BG?
    PokotaThacoBellAerakar
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited April 2017
    No automatic pause when checking inventory.

That's the big one IMO.

I both hate and love the change.
    The game was more exciting and challenging when you couldn't stop and search through your belongings mid fight (I mean you could but the enemies weren't quite so polite about it).

On the other hand, it did mean you used less variety in your approach to fights simply because you had to be damn quick if you needed to change something or a potion.

Is there a mod that has ever restored this option?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    If you really want to do this, why use EE? Why not just play the actual original version from GoG?
    Aerakar
  • ilhdrilhdr Member Posts: 33
    Cause after playing it so much I'm inclined to try new approaches.

And, something I forgot to say, I still plan to use the new conveniences, and the auto-pauses and the quick loot bar.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    If you don't play zoomed in all the way, you're missing 50% of the experience.
    Aerakar
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    You may wish to use the mod that removes the new EE NPCs...
    megamike15
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Living in the past is so much fun NOT.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I always use the tweaks anthology component to bring back original proficiencies *cough*plusweaponstyles*cough*.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    ilhdr said:

- Don't use any new item
    - Don't use rest until healed

To be honest original BG has way more powergaming stuff, such as gloves of dexterity, ogre power and archmage robes, but these have an oldschool feeling that should never be removed. I also agree with not always resting until healed. I try to roleplay certain timed situations, such as when you're going to rescue Dynaheir and it's better to rest 8 hours and cast spells than rest 16 hours to rememorize your healing magic, so I guess that original BG made some stuff more PnP like.
    ilhdr said:

- Don't be a half-orc

ilhdr said:

- Don't dual wield

As much of an oldschool feeling it might have, aestheticaly these things already existed - drizzt dual wields and mulahey is a half orc, so it seems a bit unfair not to be able to do the same.
    ilhdr said:

- Don't use any class kit
    - Don't use style proficiencies
    -

Although these didn't exist in the original BG and they do make certain classes more powerful , I think that weapon styles and kits were something that AD&D have always loved and I think that they could just be nerfed . For example , weapon styles could only be bought from 3rd level and above (just like grandmastery) and kits immunities and bonuses could also be gained later , and special abilities could start less potent and become the original versions when you get closer to 89k xp ( BG2's vanilla starting XP).