Skip to content

What would happen if TNO was cremated? (spoilers)

His tattoo says not to tell anyone what happens to him or he'll end up in the crematorium. What if he did?

Were there limits to Ravel's spell? It has been so long that I do not remember if anything about it is said.

I would imagine flesh growing to cover charred bone after a fire. If he was burned to ash, would it reconstitute? What if it were scattered?
Teflon

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    In PST original manual there is something can eat *you*.
    [Spoiler] 5. Being burned to ashes—no coming back from this sort of demise.[/spoiler]
    PugPugtaclane
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I think that's it - it is possible for you to die permanently in various ways in the game as it is.

I think with cremation it's more of a "makes sense so let's not find out" kind of thing.

PugPugTeflon
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    I heard who can kill TNO permanently is [Spoiler] IGNUS but I have never let him do so in melee fight So I cannot tell how he could do that.I talked him a lot but no selection appeared yet oyner than teach mage spells like eye finger gut smoldering...[/spoiler] Anyone know how?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Teflon said:

I heard who can kill TNO permanently is [Spoiler] IGNUS but I have never let him do so in melee fight So I cannot tell how he could do that.I talked him a lot but no selection appeared yet oyner than teach mage spells like eye finger gut smoldering...[/spoiler] Anyone know how?

Haven't tried it, but can you just attack him and turn him hostile, then just stand there and take the "heat?"
    Teflon
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited April 2017
    Teflon said:

I did try it. TNO died and didn't respawn. The screen also got locked on a black screen with just UI visible. No "you failed" box. Menu was accessible.
    Yes, probably a bug. :D

Cremating can kill you as it's not possible to regenrate from ash and dust. Lady of Pain can kill you, so can Lothar (that's what the box says anyway - the game ends as soon as you attack him).
    TeflonAndreaColombomement0Proont
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    It's all a little weird. How can someone die without their mortality? I guess he just remains in whatever the "mostly dead" state is between lives.

It would allow him to "die" without being dragged to the lower planes. Should have been the goal all along!

Or just have a companion reset the Modron Maze with him in it. I did that to Ignus. He still showed up at the ending.
    TeflonProont
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Physically becoming a pile of ash won't neccessarly "kill" TNO. While it would be the end of his humanity, chances are he'd still come back as... something else.

The real question is:
    if TNO becomes decapitated... will he become a second Morte? Or a planewalking Dullahan?
    TeflonProont
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560

Physically becoming a pile of ash won't neccessarly "kill" TNO. While it would be the end of his humanity, chances are he'd still come back as... something else.

The real question is:

if TNO becomes decapitated... will he become a second Morte? Or a planewalking Dullahan?
    Like a specter of some kind? Or an ash golem-beast?

Or the third option, head and body would reunite if joined together, but he'd stay "dead" if they remained separated.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I am now picturing TNO with his head on backwards.
    TeflonProont
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364

If the Nameless One were to be decapitated, his head would grow back.

Or would his head grow a new body?

Any experienced necromancers around? I'm not sure my local library has any ancient tomes that I can consult for answers. Well, not anymore... since the, uh "incident"...
    TeflonProont
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    taclane said:

If the Nameless One were to be decapitated, his head would grow back.

Or would his head grow a new body?

His head would grow a body and the decapitated body would grow a head. There would be two Nameless ones. It's super-effective. Transcendent one faints.
    TeflonAerakartaclaneProont
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited April 2017
    Here's my take on it.

We know TNO's body regenerates, and that

another's life is claimed instead of his when he dies, that his may be returned to him.

Now, the key to what follows is that cremation would not kill TNO; it would merely render his body (or "shell", as the game would put it) incapable of regenerating. The difference is pivotal, because TNO's immortality is not just a body capable of regenerating wounds—it extends to his spirit and consciousness, albeit with the side effect of memory loss

that comes from Ravel's ritual being flawed, as we learn in the game.

If his body can no longer regenerate, his spirit/consciousness doesn't suddenly cease to exist; however, it doesn't have a shell to which to return. What happens to it can be reasonably surmised from this dialog TNO can have with Awaiting-Death in The Gathering Dust bar:

This appears to be the state in which his spirit/consciousness finds itself in-between deaths, while waiting for the body to regenerate and be able to host it again. If the body could not regenerate, the spirit would likely be stuck in that unpleasant state, catharsis forever out of its reach.

That's why he wants to avoid cremation, even though

at first it might seem like the quickest and easiest solution to his endgame, which is dying. The problem is that simply rendering his body unable to regenerate is not, in his case, the same as dying—what happens to him is not what normally happens to people who die in the setting, and it would merely prevent him from pursuing liberation and resolution.

At least this is my interpretation.
    PugPugTeflonProont
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited April 2017
    There are a couple of possibilities for permanent death in the game, such as
    crossing the Lady
    and the death video shows
    TNO meeting Deionarra
    which suggests that
    maybe he becomes a spirit in the fortress of regrets, or at least stays in limbo for eternity
    , a little bit different from @AndreaColombo 's theory, I guess.
    PugPugTeflonAndreaColomboProont