Skip to content

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Manual (NOW AVAILABLE!)

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
Cutters, you have been waiting for it!

Enjoy.

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Manual
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
taclaneAndreaColombohook71kaguanaHurricaneHadarAbelkanisathaproccoTeflonMontresor_SPmement0elminsterlolienVirrenCARV3RProonts0ulafein

Comments

• kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Thank you
    JuliusBorisov
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    I'm getting all barmy! Thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Is there a reason why Appendix A (stat charts and experience points/spell level charts) from the original manual is not included?
  • DoodlerooDoodleroo Member Posts: 28
    Was really looking forward to this after the awesome and beautifully laid out documentation you guys created for BG and IWD, I mean, even the release notes were great...
    But seeing this, I have to admit, I'm underwhelmed... pretty much looks like the cheap html-to-pdf exports you often see for 'business applications' :'(
    _Luke_BaptorAedan
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    It's the same manual as for the original PST, except it's missing 20 pages and added a Chris Avellone "thank you note".

Guess you should download the original manual, it's readily available on the web.
    edited April 2017
    This is a worthy fun read serving as a introductory material, includes spoilers though.
    Post edited by Queegon on
    Montresor_SP
  • DoodlerooDoodleroo Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2017
    Queegon said:

This should be the trailer and introductory material, and how else? In written form.

Thanks for that one - that's very cool and well done!

I'm a sucker for well laid out books. I have lots of RPG books at home which are simply a beauty to look at. The BG manuals and release notes followed this tradition. I enjoyed them a lot.

I just re-downloaded the original PST manual from GoG and compared to this new manual it is laid out much nicer. I mean there is not even a title page, proper index or page numbers in this new document. And as you already mentioned the original also contains additional information.

Just one example regarding layout, look at page 8 (Gameplay section), it ends with the header for the 'Find Traps' skill and the description is then on page 9, you don't do this if you lay out a document!

Sure, this is minor stuff and nobody reads manuals anymore nowadays anyway, but still, after the attention to detail Beamdog gave to previous documentation, my expectations for this manual certainly were higher and I can't help but feel disappointed. This whole document says 'rush job' to me :disappointed:

Still, I'm very grateful for all the work put into the EEs, so, if the money saved for a proper manual helps funding IWD2:EE, then I'm all for it! :smile:
    proccoTeflon
    You can see from the vision statement that there were more plans for the TNO and depth of the game/dialogues/choices but didn't quite make it to the finished game.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Um great to see official manual. :D
    @JuliusBorisov Will there be translation and if yes, would be done by that third company? Which did steam page and so on?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    I too was looking forward to a manual as comprehensive and aesthetically pleasing as those that came with the other Enhanced Editions (the manual that came with SoD is especially good.) I'm glad to hear the team are considering a revised version of the manual that would be worthy of the great game Planescape: Torment is :)
    taclaneBaptor
  • HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
    Put me in the camp of those disappointed by the "here's a word document rendered into PDF" approach to the manual, especially since the PATCH LOGs for other EEs had wonderful art in them.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    This is the ugliest manual Beamdog has ever made...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Teflon said:

Will there be translation and if yes, would be done by that third company? Which did steam page and so on?

It's not planned at this point.
    Teflon
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Details on the rules (XP charts & so on), would be welcome.

But the background lore and bestiary parts of the BG & IWD manuals would not fit Torment. Too much charm of the original was discovering the exotic world - and it makes perfect sense, that the Nameless One, waking up an amnesiac, has no background knowledge.

In PS:T the "lore manual" is part of the journal (i.e. NPC and bestiary section) and entries are unlocked at appropriate moments during the game.
    RawgrimAndreaColomboineth
  • PanthrosPanthros Member Posts: 15
    Any update on a new manual?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Not yet.
  • alboyalboy Member Posts: 59
    Is there a new manual yet as it is a year now since your last post?
    Aedan
  • Timbo0o0o0Timbo0o0o0 Member Posts: 60
    Is there a new manual yet as it is two years now since your last post?
    I don't believe there has been any progress, sorry. I guess there's no big chance a potential v2 of the manual will happen.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    @JuliusBorisov I wonder if Beamdog or WotC would allow someone to make an unofficial manual for PST:EE (especially since they are probably not planning to make a new one)? I could probably design a good one (at least much better than the current one), but don't know the legal stuff around it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AzureHawkAzureHawk Member Posts: 4
    I need the manual for the Android/mobile phone version of the game. Honestly the manual should have been added into the game. Things like having no mouse and no right clicks need to have work arounds published!