Skip to content

[MOD] The Power of Belief

AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
edited June 2017 in PST:EE Mods
The Power of Belief makes it possible for the Nameless One to become a Priest (while maintaining their Fighter, Mage and Thief levels).

The newest version of this mod is available on GitHub.

Features

This mod is being actively developed, and will be expanded as my free time permits. Currently, the mod consists of a few extra dialog lines that allow the Nameless One to become a Priest, specialization bonuses for reaching 7th or 12th level as a Priest, two new tattoos available only for a Priest-specialized Nameless One, and changes to a handful of Maces and Warhammers to make them usable by Priest Nameless Ones.

The Nameless One can gain access to the Priest class by speaking to Mourns-for-Trees after encountering them during Mebbeth's quest or by becoming a Disciple of Aoskar while talking to Aola. Should the Nameless One step off the path of faith, they can speak to either Mourns-for-Trees or Fall-from-Grace to resume progression in the Priest class.

The specialization bonuses are:
- 7th level: +1 Wisdom
- 12th level: +2 Wisdom, +1 Charisma, +10% Magic Resistance

The Priest specialiation tattoos, available from Fell, are:
- Tattoo of Belief: +1 Wisdom, +1 1st and 2nd priest spell slot. (Costs 3600 coppers; requires 7th level Priest Specialization.)
- Tattoo of the Hierophant: +3 Wisdom, Doubled 1st and 2nd level priest spells slots. (Costs 12000 coppers; requires 12th level Priest specialization.)

This mod is currently available in English, Russian (courtesy of Saigon1983), and Polish (courtesy of mstar).

Upcoming Changes

I am currently working on the following features:
- New divine spells.
- New spell acquisition methods (including alignment, factions, and quests).
- New items for Priests, including The Nameless One and Fall-from-Grace.

Features listed above will be pushed to the live version when I am satisfied with stability and behavior. If you have ideas for future updates to this mod, please let me know in the comments.

Technical Limitations

I am aware of the following inconsistencies and do not believe there are ways to prevent them, as much of the class system in PSTEE is hardcoded.

- Whenever the Nameless One changes between Fighter and Priest (e.g. switching their first active class between these two), there is a slight pause as the game determines the previous active class' experience. During this pause, you will enter cutscene mode, hiding the UI and preventing player input. Control will be returned upon conclusion of the xp check.

- If you get the Priest specialization bonuses, the game will still tell you that you have received the specialization bonuses for other classes. These should all be automatically counteracted via scripting (and some text explaining that specialization bonuses have been negated), but the display might be slightly confusing.

Want to Help?

I am looking for BAM editors/artists and translators. If you are either of these and want to help with the development of this mod, please send me a private message.

Feedback

If you encounter any bugs while using this mod, please let me know.

As with all of my mods, if you have any ideas, comments, or criticism, please do not hesitate to post in this thread.
Post edited by Aquadrizzt on
GrammarsaladKamigoroshielminsterronaldomf2112Swifty_MageeDoubledimasJuliusBorisovbob_vengMoradinGamingFreakRedrakebooinyoureyestbone1GuboRaduzielartificial_sunlightTimbo0o0o0Isewein

Comments

• wandererhahawandererhaha Member Posts: 8
    Thank you very much !
    It's amazing!
    I will try it later...
    Aquadrizzt
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I believe I will be adding this to my installation once I've bested TTO for the first time. Yes it's contrary to the game's lore. No I don't care I love playing priests.
    Aquadrizzt
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it's not contrary to the lore, it's just not supported in the game's script (scenario), but with new dialogue this can be alleviated
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    I comend what you did but personally I won't be using it.

I'm not a fan of priests in PS:T, they seem lacking in most directions. Next to no weapons for them, healing is obsolete, I usually ditch Grace (tagging two priests? ugh) and specializations and tattoo giving you +6 WIS is hurtful moreso than helpful since you are essentially starting with a what - 12-13 WIS in order for those to not be wasted and gimping yourself of early XP?

Maybe with additional priest rebalance mod. Or making TNO a fighter/priest multi-class.
    Swifty_Magee
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    @Queegon, that's fair. I've encountered the same issue in regards to providing an absurd amount of bonus Wisdom, but thematically that is what the bonuses should be. I've made it possible for priest TNOs to use almost all clubs and warhammers. I'm working on making Priests more interesting than just heal bots, that should come in future updates.
    Swifty_Mageeelminster
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited April 2017
    A mage/priest multi-class might be cool though. Best of both worlds with a choice of specialization upon reaching an equivalent of lvl 12 for a single-class. Level 12 in multi-class would be reached at the end of the game.
    Swifty_Magee
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2017
    Food for thoughts:
    From a roleplaying point of view, it may perhaps be more interesting for the (single-classed) Priest to have their own spell medium. It could be a book like that from Mebbeth's questline. Or possible an upgrade-able token fetish made from the scarce trees in the game. (Mourns-for-Trees tree -> Black-Barbed Maze trees -> ? )

Best of all of course would be various kinds of such spell mediums. Given that AD&D's Priest class does include more than just the classy Cleric. Each of them would then have their own unique quirks for replayability.

I'm thinking here of something like this:
    - Wooden Fetish: Druid-ish Belief
    - Skull Fetish: Shaman-ish Belief
    - Written Scroll: Hierophant Belief
    - Holy Symbol of the Forgotten Deity*: Oracle-ish Believe

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Queegon, unfortunately I don't believe that it is possible to make TNO advance in more than once class at a time without completely breaking how the engine handles the existing classes.

@Kamigoroshi, way ahead of you on this front. I have plans for certain quests resolutions to allow TNO to learn additional spheres of spells.
    The three I list in the .tp2 file are a Nature sphere for completing Mourns-for-Tree's "Believe in Trees" quest, an Experience sphere from doing one of Grace's quests (or a new one, tbd), and an Oblivion sphere from Hargrimm in the Dead Nations (which might be made mutually exclusive with a Hivemind sphere from Many-as-One).

I might also have it tied to your currently alignment and faction, as those are the two most representative metrics of your beliefs within the game, but I'm not sure what my goal for final scale of this mod will be. Any ideas are always appreciated.

@subtledoctor , you and your insider info... :wink:
    elminster
  • jkhristianjkhristian Member Posts: 15
    Cool Mod! I always thought Mourns-for-Trees was a druid though. I don't know where I got that.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2017
    @Aquadrizzt Like I said, it was merely food for thoughts. ;)
    That being said, I'd really like to see you implement something with the Aoskarian faith as well.
    There's so much interesting material in the game about him after all. What with the burnt cathedral, the misfortune Aola and good ol' Fell being the proxy of Aoskar himself.

Although the Lady of Pain would very much kill TNO on the spot if he'd ever spoke of being part of that priest order openly. But then again, our protagonist is pseudo-immortal anyway. :P
    I just fixed two pretty major bugs with class checks at some of the more important points in the game. One of the bugs I've squashed is something that prevents completion of the game, so seriously consider redownloading if you are playing with this mod installed.

The bugs I've fixed are:

- Allowing you to put Morte into the Pillar of Skulls without a fight if you are Priest specialized.
    - Allowing the Transcendent One to actually spawn on the Fortress Roof if you are a Priest going into the encounter.

Because class checks are quite finicky in PST, if you encounter any other places where you can't seem to advance due to being a Priest (rather than a Fighter, Mage or Thief) let me know and I'll patch it.
    elminster
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    @Aquadrizzt, hi! This is russian translation for your mod with modified tp2-file. But... I can't install it (nor russian nor english versions) because of error/ See screenshot in attached files
    JuliusBorisov
    @Saigon1983, first thanks for the translation. I'm glad that you find this mod interesting enough to be worthwhile translating.

As for your error, I am not able to reproduce it. I have incorporated the russian .tra file and necessary code into the github. Maybe try downloading it from there again and installing it again?
    @Aquadrizzt. nope(( Same issue
    @Saigon1983 , mind posting your Weidu.debug file?
    Mind sending me your XPLEVEL.2da, it looks like yours differs from the base game's.
    @Aquadrizzt, this might be. I previously install CDTWEAKS mod...
    @Aquadrizzt, yeah, I removed modded file from override and it works!
    @Saigon1983 , I'll look into what was causing the issue (because its coded to behave with any setup of XPLEVEL.2da), but for now that sounds like its the best option.
    edited May 2017
    Okay so if anyone had encountered the XP underflow error (your XP would shoot to 999,999,999), I believe it has been addressed in the new version.

Furthermore, this mod now offers a polish translation, courtesy of mstar.

Finally, TNO can also become a priest by becoming a Disciple of Aoskar. Be aware that this has consequences.
    CahirKamigoroshielminsterNicolBluetooth
  • NicolBluetoothNicolBluetooth Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2017
    Great update, I've been waiting for Aoskar support. I was just wondering, when a player successfully completes the Many-as-One quest without lying or pissing it off, it gives the player a memory of fighting Kytons using class-specific skills. Does the mod have dialog of fighting them as a Priest prepared, or would the lack of priest checks break the conversation?
    Oooooh I didn't catch that, @NickBluetooth. I'll do another pass on Class(Protagonist,XXX) checks. Thanks for the heads up. I'll post an update when I've patched that and other ones I find.
    NicolBluetooth
    edited June 2017
    Okay, I've fixed eight issues with class checks in my local version (not uploaded to the github yet) the live version. Go get all the fixes.

These are:
    - Many-As-One kyton memory
    - Many-As-One's "what use are you?!"
    - Retraining Mage with Lady Thorncombe
    - Retraining Thief with Nabat
    - Retraining Thief with Eli
    - Retraining Thief with Annah
    - Training Fighter with Pophiron
    - Training Fighter with Quisai

The only other major class check that I am aware of is Nordom's class command, but I haven't come up with an appropriately lore-friendly set of bonuses for him yet. I might just take over the Charisma bonuses as teaching him to *believe* in himself but I imagine that could ruffle some feathers.
    KamigoroshiNicolBluetoothelminster
    Okay, new patch out. This one fixes the method by which swapping between Priest and Fighter happens. First, the game should now use the appropriate amounts of experience for FIghter and Priest, rather than Paladin and Druid. Second, you should not lose/gain xp after switching classes.
  • NicolBluetoothNicolBluetooth Member Posts: 48
    Nice patch, a lot of class checks were fixed for priests. Will one still lose Fighter XP the first time the Nameless One becomes a Priest?
    edited June 2017
    @NickBluetooth , yes, you'll still lose excess Fighter xp the first time you swap. I don't believe there is any way to store a stat directly to a variable. This is because leveling up from level 0 does some obnoxious things IIRC. Then again I just retested it and it doesn't seem to do anything.

I think one of the more thematic goals was to have you start from scratch as a Priest, much as you do with Mage/Thief, but then again those don't cost you XP. I'll disable it for now. Note that this has the side effect of letting you accumulate xp as a Fighter that is then instantly applied when you switch to Priest.

EDIT: Okay I have determined the reason I did this in the first place. If you go from level 0 to any level other than 1, you an extra hit die beyond what you should (e.g. you should only receive 1d8 hit points for becoming 2nd level, but you actually receive 2d8).
    edited June 2017
    Update on the xp situation, I have begun work on a system that can track priest and warrior xp seperately. Most of the issues with regards to werid behavior when switching levels will go away once this is finished.

Update 2: Okay so it can now track (relatively consistently), priest and fighter xp. However switching from Mage/Thief to Priest/Fighter now causes some kind of weird xp underflow error. I'm investigating and hope to have a patch up soon.

Update 3: Switching too and from Mage/Thief to Fighter/Priest has been fixed. Current issue is that if you have do some class switching like Fighter -> Priest -> Mage -> Priest, it will give you the wrong xp/level for your Priest class. This requires a simple fix... I think.
    elminsterGubo