Skip to content

ASUS Eee PC Touch (T101MT) and BGEE (SoD, BG2EE)

MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
edited May 2017 in Troubleshooting
Is it possible to run the game on such machine at all?

Here is specs:

CPU Intel Atom N455 / 1.66 GHz
Chipset Type Intel NM10
RAM DDR3 2GB

GPU Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (ASUSTeK Computer Inc.)

OS Windows 7 Pro x32 SP1, DirectX 11

What happen is - both games (and DLC) installed without any problems. When game is started, the introduction movie (with Sarevok) runs well enough (minor lag, mb). However, during character creation I can not see any portrait (neither original nor custom) - it's all a blur (though I can switch between those colorful spots). Then, after character all set on the first introduction text sequence (You are Gorion's ward, etc.) game freezes.

It looks like it's graphical problem, especially since in game System Requirements description it was said "Intel graphics chipsets are NOT supported". But you can run it on even lighter tablets (with Android, though)!

Have anyone tried BGEE on computer like that? Or may be original BG or BGT?
Post edited by Mirandel on

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited May 2017
    Hi @Mirandel, I am currently running BGEE, BG2EE, IWDEE and PSTEE on an HP Omni10, which has similar (although newer) specs to the Asus.

Intel Atom Z3770 - 1.46GHz quad-core,
    2GB RAM,
    Intel HD Graphics running at 1920x1200.

Have no problems with running any of the games. I updated the OS from Windows 8 to Windows 10 Home. Had no probs running the 1.3 version of BGEE on Windows 8 (except for the touch controls so limited to keyboard and mouse). I also ran BG2 (widescreen modified) original on this tablet prior to buying the EE packs.

I am running a UI Mod (Lefreut's UI) but I don't expect that this is the problem. Any chance you could post the 'SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics'...)' lines that are in your baldur.lua file? (If your not aware, this is found in the 'Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition' folder.

For my installation, I set everything up on my PC (incl mods - UI, Wandcase and components of Tweaks Anthology), copied the folders to the tablet then set desktop shortcuts.

Gus

Edit: One thing I forgot to ask is which versions are you running, 1.3.x or 2.x.
    Post edited by Gusinda on
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Thank you for answering.

I was trying to run only latest version of the games (2.x). Would not mind to go to previous version (or even to original games, though I like "EE" part and SoD).

With mods (though, I used a lot of them I did not touch anything graphical) the game was freezing at the first character generation screen - gender selection. I could click the button "done" - and the game was "done" with me, freeze.

These are the "Graphic" settings from lua file:

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Zoom Lock','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Greyscale On Pause','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Show Black Space','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Hardware Mouse Cursor','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Scale UI','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','version','OpenGL version 1.4.0 - - Build 8.14.10.2230 - build XXXX')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Nearest Neighbour Scaling','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Character Highlights','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','vendor','Intel')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','renderer','Intel Pineview Platphorm')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Sprite Outlines','0')
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Your graphics chipset is using OpenGL 1.4, if a newer driver is available you could try that. If it doesn't help, you could change the LUA Graphics Backend setting to 1.

n.b. from the information provided so far I think a newer driver is available but best to check with the driver update utility on the page
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20019/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-Series-Chipsets?product=47610
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited May 2017
    Gate70 said:

Your graphics chipset is using OpenGL 1.4, if a newer driver is available you could try that. If it doesn't help, you could change the LUA Graphics Backend setting to 1.

n.b. from the information provided so far I think a newer driver is available but best to check with the driver update utility on the page
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20019/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-Series-Chipsets?product=47610

The first solution - changing the LUA Graphics Backend setting to 1 - helped right away!!!

Thank you so much! I installed classic BG (and it worked without problems) but I happen to love EE perks and SoD and would miss all of it sorely.
    Post edited by Mirandel on