Skip to content

Status of Unfinished Business for PST:EE?

SoulReaverSoulReaver Member Posts: 33
I've bought PST:EE, but before I play it I really want to see the content from Qwinn's Unfinished Business mod (as well as some tweaks, like the Save Nordom tweak) available for it.

Does anyone know what the status is on converting those mods to PST:EE? Is Qwinn even interested in working on such a thing, or is it up to other modders to take up the cause? Would love to know where it's at.

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    No idea. Maybe @AlexT or @JuliusBorisov know this as they've contacted Qwinn during the PST:EE-making process.
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Seconded. Plus the banter accelerator, or a sticky explaining how to do it ourselves.
  • SoulReaverSoulReaver Member Posts: 33
    I'm a little bit concerned that there's been no news from Qwinn (or anyone) that they're actually working on porting some of the old must-have mods and tweaks over.

Is it possible for someone to reverse-engineer the old mods and recreate them for EE? Or is it going to have to be done from scratch if it doesn't get done by Qwinn?
    Saber83
  • Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94

I'm a little bit concerned that there's been no news from Qwinn (or anyone) that they're actually working on porting some of the old must-have mods and tweaks over.

Same here. I REALLY hope someone is working on the mod as I would like to play it with those quests etc added.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited May 2017
    I too wonder what is going on. Somebody on the Steam forums said they messaged Qwinn to see if he is doing it or if they could do it if Qwinn doesn't. I just asked if there is any news since that was said April 23rd. I hope that is fruitful. Otherwise that means somebody will need to do their own iteration which means more work (and could mean nobody is up for the task). It'll be a pity if Unfinished Business becomes a Legacy-only mod.

It doesn't look like the demand for it is super high. I personally would be content in trying the mod on the original since I own it. However, I'm still hoping. I already finished the game in EE and am waiting to see if Unfinished Business comes out for EE for my second playthrough.
    Post edited by themazingness on
    edited May 2017
    I think the safe assumption is that Qwinn isn't working on a new version of Unfinished Business - I've not seen any indication of him responding to any messages, and neither he nor Beamdog have indicated he is working on it. I personally think the last version of it is an excellent mod and the only thing I leave out in my installs is the restored Morte dialogue as it doesn't flow with the rest of the game - the game feels incomplete without it.

My question to the more experienced modders still stands: is it possible to reverse engineer Qwinn's old mod to make it compatible? Or would require a modder to recreate what it did from scratch?
  • ScuDScuD Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2017
    This is what Qwinn is working on these days, and he seems to be pretty busy with it:
    https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4981245-qwinn´s-unofficial-fix-pack-20/page-56
    Post edited by ScuD on
    JuliusBorisovSoulReaverProont
    Thanks for that. I've sent him a PM on Nexus to see if he has any plans to update his mod, or if he might be able to provide materials to help others do it. Hopefully he has some time to reply.
  • Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94
    Well it seems to me most of the ones I enjoyed are either easy or medium difficulty to implement. Good luck if you are going to develop the mod @winterheart.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    @winterheart, do you think you'll be able to create this content so that it is usable on Android? Here's one hoping for that... :smile:
  • winterheartwinterheart Member Posts: 18

@winterheart, do you think you'll be able to create this content so that it is usable on Android? Here's one hoping for that... :smile:

Well, I tried to make zipped mod for translation, so there should no big issue.
    @badungu , You done most of work :).

What's problem with CRE? I think is standard CRE V1 from BG2.

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @winterheart - PST used a custom CRE format, v1.2. PST:EE uses the BG2 v1.0 format.

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/cre_v1.2.htm
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
    I wish you guys all the best. I really hope to play PS:T EE with UB.
    I think there should be also Qwinn's Fixpack revision. Some fixes are already applied to PSTEE, but other may not.

I suggest to create standalone "Fixpack-UB" mod that will incorporate all changes that left.
    Saber83BROJ
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited May 2017

I think there should be also Qwinn's Fixpack revision. Some fixes are already applied to PSTEE, but other may not.

I suggest to create standalone "Fixpack-UB" mod that will incorporate all changes that left.

Is that really necessary? According to the devs (taken from the beta forum):
    AlexT said:

Qwinn's PST Fixpack has undergone a thorough review by the PST:EE development team. As a result, all objective bugfixes have been integrated into PST:EE (with Qwinn's permission).

Some of the more subjective changes were left out as they contradict original developer intent. This is not Qwinn's fault, as he didn't have access to the original design documents (which we do) nor to PST's source code (which we also have) so he had no way of knowing. As an example, PST:EE leaves out the fixpack change that gave enemies the ability to run towards the player while engaged in combat. The original design documents and the source code both clarify that enemies were deliberately prevented from running.

So it would basically become more of a Tweak-package than a fixpack.
    Post edited by Doubledimas on
    AncientCowboy
  • BROJBROJ Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2017

Well, I started some porting of components of UB. There some major issue - Qwinn heavily used core engine fixes, that modifies Torment.exe itself. So, there will be no 100% port of original UB. Some components are easy WeiDU sub-mods, but other not. Here quick short list for original 4.12:

• Restored Able Ponder-Thought Research - medium mod, requires VAR.VAR
    • Restored More Morte Mortuary Moments - easy mod, only DLG replace
    • Restored Candlestick Quest - medium mod, requires VAR.VAR and some script rewrite, intensive testing
    • Restored Deionarra's Truth Conversations - easy mode, only DLG replace
    • Restored Pendant of Yemeth Quest - easy mod, new scripts, intensive testing
    • Restored Elyce and Company - easy mod, new scripts, intensive testing
    • Restored Curst Citizens - easy mod, ARE changing
    • Restored Curst Prisoners - easy mod, ARE changing, new scripts
    • Restored Carl Parfidor - easy mod, script rewrite
    • Restored Alley of Dangerous Angles Thugs - easy mod, only DLG replace
    • Restored Morte & Ingress's Teeth Banter - easy mod, only DLG replace
    • Restored Items - easy mod, ARE changing, new scripts
    • Restored Party Comments and Banters - nearly to impossible, core changes (Banters already implemented?)
    • Restored Mebbeth - easy mod, script rewrite
    • Restored Lower Ward Encounters - medium mod, ARE changing, new scripts
    • Restored Bestiary Entries - hard to implement, core changes, INI changes
    • Expanded Deionarra's Truth mod - medium mod, script rewrite
    • Restored Item Cheats - Not Recommended - easy mod, DLG replace, 2DA changes.
    badungu said:

@winterheart,

you forgot that also the file format for creatures, items and spells are different between PST and PST:EE, which means all of the included cres, itm and spls have to be reworked and also the patching of the existing ones have to be checked... ;)

The VAR.VAR changes aren't needed I think, cause PST:EE handles the variables like every other ToB based game.

I started working on converting PST-UB some time ago (two weeks or something), for my own, cause I didn't know how to contact Qwinn and uploaded my results on github yesterday, maybe we could join forces... :)

https://github.com/badungu/PST-UB (this is currently only for modders, nothing is tested ingame... ;))

Also it's easier for Qwinn to look at the changes made to the mod, when then changes are documented on github..:)

So what are the percentages on completion for each of the listed items, and how can I help out? I have professional development experience and free time. Unfortunately, however, I know nothing of Weidu.
  • BROJBROJ Member Posts: 6
    Since I received no reply, I'm going to start by testing the above weidu patch and take detailed notes.
    SoulReaver
    edited May 2017
    BROJ said:

Since I received no reply, I'm going to start by testing the above weidu patch and take detailed notes.

Thank you for taking the initiative BROJ.

Would be good if the modders could work together on this to prevent double-up work?
  • Andrei132Andrei132 Member Posts: 5
    Hey, just wondering on the status of this mod. Can I expect a release anytime soon or is there a lot of 'unfinished business' >:)
    badungu said:

Also I've done the Save Nordom Tweak, this one should work fine for PST:EE (I tested it today... :))

You could find it here: https://github.com/badungu/PST-SaveNordomTweak
    Direct download: https://github.com/badungu/PST-SaveNordomTweak/archive/master.zip

Spectacular, thank you. This is one of the big things EE was missing for me. Can't wait for the rest of UB.

Andrei132
    Great, keep it going!
    Andrei132JuliusBorisov
  • Andrei132Andrei132 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2017
    Any updates guys? Appreciate what you're doing I'm so excited for this mod :D
  • badungubadungu Member Posts: 53
    Currently no updates from my side, I'm still researching the engine and nobody contributed to the mod yet, it's done, when it's done.... :wink:
    JuliusBorisovAndrei132SoulReaverProont
  • scientscient Member Posts: 4
    I can provide some information regarding any internal binary changes related to this mod that still need to be understood. However, most of my efforts were applied to the fix pack that I worked on in conjunction with Qwinn. I do not have a copy of PST:EE, so I will not be able to do any static analysis of the complied code but I can likely point you in the right direction.
    JuliusBorisovAndrei132