Skip to content

BUG - Skull Trap spell (not just the trigger bug)

alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
Recently, I've been testing the skull trap spell.
Not only is the trigger bugged (as in baddies practically playing shuffleboard with the skull and it not going off) but the area of effect and what creatures it damages also appears to be bugged.
On multiple occasions I have cast the spell a good distance behind enemies who are engaged in melee with my front line and, on the times it actually triggered, it sometimes damages my closest party member but completely bypasses a kobold that is directly between that member and the casting target. Even if the game skipped displaying the damage to the kobold and it did the absolute minimum damage for the spell, the kobold should still be dead. So, for some unknown reason, Skull Trap doesn't actually damage all creatures within the 30' radius, like it's supposed to.

Is this something that can be fixed or is it just game engine mechanics that I'll have to live with?

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,872
    Hi @alceryes
    If you can reliably reproduce the issue (e.g. from a save cast skull trap, then trigger it with results as above) please report it so we can investigate.

I've included a link to the reporting guidelines.
    Thanks
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    Unfortunately, there is a randomness involved in how Skull Trap operates. So a save won't really do you much good. If you test the scenario above you've got a good chance of reproducing the bug (probably within an hour).
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,872
    While that may be true, it could hide additional factors that are affecting the results. Providing a save together with instructions on what you are doing helps us deal with the correct cause rather than our intepretation of it.
    Thanks
    Hmmm, okay.
    I'll see if I can find a situation where it happens 'semi-regularly'.
  • Ploughed_JesterPloughed_Jester Member Posts: 93
    So, I have a situation where it happens EVERY time... If you set a skull trap in bgee in Ulgoth's beard where the annoying cult guards spawn, they don't set it off on arrival. Then when they attack the party, they leave the area and trigger it taking no damage. This was never an issue in the past. Is this a known bug and in the works by now?
    @Ploughed_Jester If you have a save where it's reproducible please open up a redmine bug tik here - http://redmine.beamdog.com/ and upload the save.

I could never get it to ALWAYS 'miss' enemies. It just happened randomly.
  • Ploughed_JesterPloughed_Jester Member Posts: 93
    I was finally able to upload a save showing the repeated failures, but it's so tough to duplicate since you basically need to find a cheese spot where you know things will spawn to display the issue correctly. It consistently misses any that spawn nearby and only triggers on those that run past when the baddie stops inside the area. it's kind of ridiculous to set up the 8 skull traps that I setup, but I guess it's worth it since it'll display the bug properly. Hate playing the game this way, but the spell is supposed to be better than this by a longshot.