Skip to content

[MOD] Lefreut's enhanced UI (for BG1EE, SoD, BG2EE and EET)

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Jhaycen said:

That makes perfect sense, lefreut. Consistency is probably the best solution. Thanks again for putting together what I consider to be the definitive UI for these games.

Agreed. Its honestly far superior than the base UI. No disrespect intended to the devs. And also, no disrespect intended to other UIs, but the design elements are perfect. Its not over the top with symbols and heads of monsters, etc. Its the perfect, weathered, artistic, old-world look
    AncientCowboy
    edited May 2017
    I'm curious @lefreut is there a way to not have the Journal spawn entries for a quest that is already closed? Example -- I'm getting entries for Prism the Sculptor, even though Prism is long-dead and that quest is closed. It would be cool if you already closed out something, if it didn't put new entries on a later chapter of your journal that then, never close. My thought anyway.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    edited May 2017
    lefreut said:

@HaHaCharade is it something you notice with the latest version or do you also see it with previous version ? It can be an unwanted side effect of a fix in v1.9. The journal code is really a mess :/

As usual, if you have a save I can look at it to understand what happens.

Attached. Talk to one of the performers at the fair who mention Prism. It might be a result of the fix, and you're right the Journal is just so jacked up. I just don't want my Journal to show entries for things I already did. Maybe its because I hadn't been to this area *before* Prism, so it wants to put the entry somewhere.
    edited November 2019
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    @HaHaCharade I believe that's an issue with the game itself. If you get a journal entry for a quest after you've completed the quest, it just stays open forever.
    HaHaCharadeAxie

@HaHaCharade I believe that's an issue with the game itself. If you get a journal entry for a quest after you've completed the quest, it just stays open forever.

Yeah and I guess with @lefreut's change, it just makes them as new entries now, instead of tacking them on to the closed one. The journal is just jacked. I clean it up manually the best I can.
    edited November 2019
    AndreaColomboRavenslightGusindaJhaycen
  • JhaycenJhaycen Member Posts: 19
    lefreut said:

Add install option to reverse the +/- buttons position.

B) Thanks.
    AndreaColombo
  • VarlothenVarlothen Member Posts: 8
    Hey @lefreut I love you're work, it is an absolute must in my load order, for both the functionality it provides and the mistakes from Beamdog's poor UI design that it fixes. That said I thought I could get away with posting what is essentially a wishlist of features I would love to some day see be added to this mod. Since I'm not a modder I have no idea the feasibility of some of them but I would certainly like to hear your thoughts.

-----Character Creation-----
    Gender/Portriat
    Shift: Change Gender
    Arrow Keys: Navigate Portriats

Attributes
    Return speed to held add/subtract buttons
    Return roll buttons to horizontal position
    R: Reroll
    S: Store
    C: Recall

Spell Selection
    Do what you can

Misc
    Return Button Art to the Race, Class, Alignment Screens
    Show Unselectable Class/Aligments as Greyed Out
    Contain Multiclasses

-----Gameplay-----
    Dialogue Box
    Return Expand/Collapse Buttons
    Return Page Up/Down Functionality

Map
    Remove Zoom Out Effect
    Return Worldmap and Notes Button
    Return Single Click to Map Travel
    Return Travel Time to Tooltips
    edited November 2019
    Axie
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I’m curious about the expand/collapse buttons that were replaced with manually dragging the top of the dialogue box up and down. I really disliked that change, but I was under the impression that it couldn’t be modded out. Is it even possible to put the button option back in?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited June 2017
    Thank you! This is very nice indeed, makes the new version playable for me.
    I still miss the page turning sfx of the mage book/priest scroll when travelling between spell levels. It sounds lifeless as of now, but the visual is a big improvement over the original 2.0+ factsheet approach.

I also adore how you use some assets from the old bg2. I got mine scrollbar from there too, (guiscrc) feels like an old friend.
  • VarlothenVarlothen Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2017
    @lefreut Thanks for the reply and going over the suggestions. Any additions at all would be amazing.
    I'd be willing to clarify a few points though:
    Varlothen said:
    Arrow Keys: Navigate Portriats
    lefreut said:
    Up/down keys already scroll the portraits list. I can add other action to Left/right.

It seems like the Page Up/Down Buttons already do this, though I don't mind as long as the functionality is there.
    Varlothen said:
    Return speed to held add/subtract buttons
    lefreut said:
    I don't understand what you mean.

I thought I might have worded that poorly. Let's see... After 2.0, when rolling stats the +/- buttons became noticeably slower when you hold them down to drain or max a stat. Almost to the point that rapidly clicking them is more efficient. And while I can't confirm it, I believe this is extended to assigning thieving skills. I honestly have no idea why this is. Maybe its not an issue everyone has and its just lag from the new UI, but I seriously doubt it. Rolling back to 1.3, you can see the difference. ...does that make more sense?
    Varlothen said:
    Return Worldmap and Notes Button
    lefreut said:
    Right click directly opens the Worldmap. I find it much more efficient than having to open the map and then click on a button.

The Notes should still be here.

Why not both? Redundancy is good no?
    I meant more as an actual Note Button and less of a checkbox, but I'll admit its a small concern.
    Post edited by Varlothen on
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Ravenslight, the EEUITweaks Mod Collection has a fix to add the buttons back in, or you can goto here to see the original mod for the code.

Gus
    RavenslightAncientCowboy
    edited November 2019
    AndreaColomboRavenslightGusindaUnionhack
  • UnionhackUnionhack Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2017
    I'm having some trouble with it. I installed it, but with the mod installed I can no longer open the game. With it uninstalled everything runs fine.

I click baldur.exe or the shortcut, either way, but all that happens is that the loading wheel next to my mouse runs for a sec and then nothing happens. No launch then crash or anything, the game just doesn't launch at all.
  • raizoraizo Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2017
    Hi @lefreut,

It probably would take a lot of time, but I thought I would ask anyway.
    Recently I switched to a new monitor with a 2160p resolution and the UI looks ... tiny.
    So, a 4K UHD version would be nice.
    edited November 2019
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Love it. I've been experimenting myself with making the gameplay window look closer to vanilla BG2. I can send you some stuff if you'd like.
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    I think the current screen has better graphics resolution and looks more crispy and sharp compared to the old version. Please do not replace current graphics or at least give the player a choice during installation.
    Your mod is perfect :) Keep up the good work.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    it looks fantastic, @lefreut. I'm wondering if you made that "Baldur's Gate II" title yourself or simply cut it from some wallpaper. If you found the right font and a way to fill it with that golden, shaded color I would be interested in your source XCF/PSD files. I'd like to create several new title texts in this style.
    edited November 2019
    switAndreaColombo
  • SenSayNyuSenSayNyu Member Posts: 20
    Imho, original BG2 UI art is outstanding in terms of quality and beauty (functionality aside). My wet dream would be revised UI with reworked art that copies BG2 style. Alas, that is quite a task to do.
    edited November 2019
    GusindaAndreaColomboRavenslight
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    i'm just getting back to the games and looking for "almost-canon-mods":
    is this the UI to choose if you want to have an improvement over the vanilla 2.3 UI from Candlekeep to Throne, or are there other options?
    It seems this is the only one maintained actively and works across all the games?

I'm more into functionality over total aesthetics, and best useage of my 1920x1080 laptop screen.
    edited November 2019
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    oh this is wonderful - that would have been my next question: the wish for improvement and consistency in functionality, but some more adjusted optics to each part of the saga ... looking forward to try this :)

(SoD-skin? *cough* i'm asking for too much now ...)