Skip to content

Deities in-game BG 1&2 EE and their purpose

Does anyone wish that these had more of an impact in game? For example Neverwinter online you can pick a deity and it gives you some sort of bonus (I think?) An example of these could be picking Tymora and be under the 'luck' spell permanently.

Even more interactions and significance in game I know the priest of Cyric in the docks but more quests and indepth around the religions. The churches content could be even expanded upon. Picking alignment in character creation is something but it would be cool if for example you made a rogue and picked evil then could select The mask or maybe even Lloth of you were an elf. As a result gaining some allegiance with the drow in the undercity.

Some of these could be modded into the game but it would be nice if more depth was added into an update. Depending on what you picked to follow there could be encounters of you being hunted by other religions. Whenever I come across a temple or something else to do with the deities it feels empty, unfinished and almost just that they're there for the sake of being there.

The shadow thieves feud was a good start but there are so many more factions and religions battle ing it out according to the forgotten realms handbooks.
AerakarZaghoulJuliusBorisov

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    In BG1, cleric sub-classes are just kits, really. In SoD they can affect some dialogues to certain extent, if I remember correctly. Although I played only Priest of Tyr, so I can be mistaken.

In BG2, cleric sub-classes can decide which Priest temple you can join after doing one of most notable side-quests. Aside from that, kitless Cleric can choose a temple based on his alingment. I'm not sure how Priest of Tyr is handled.

And yes, the more official kits for the game, the merrier. For me personally it provides more possibilites of role-playing characters.
    AerakarcomebackhomeJuliusBorisov
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    1. Look for a mod called Faith and Powers if you want more choices of clerics.
    2. There is a large number of joinable NPCs added to the game by mods who serve a specific deity. Their stories, actions and sidequests often are related to their god or goddess.
    3. As for the protagonist being a priest, the game keeps this generic and that is a good thing. Making a specific quest or quest solution available for just one specific cleric kit is not a very good idea.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254

2. There is a large number of joinable NPCs added to the game by mods who serve a specific deity. Their stories, actions and sidequests often are related to their god or goddess.

Which Mod are you referring to?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @comebackhome I like the idea, mostly for non cleric classes. I usually headcanon ALOT of the story with respect to character background and how he reacts to NPC's, those that can join a party and those that cannot, both. With clerics in particular I often choose NOT to take a temple stronghold due to it not fitting my character's chosen background and deity.
    I do not think so much of special abilities for non cleric's as cleric's should probably have that reserved for their special devotion but quests and interaction's for non clerics that feel a deep connection to a deity would really be nice. This would be some major modding I suspect but would be most welcome. I try to tie in various magic items that often seem a good fit for a background and that helps a little as well. But for the most part it is just down to the imagination to go with.
    So yep, I like the idea. :)
    ThacoBell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited June 2017

Off the top of my head:
    - Gavin (gets some quests for Lathander in BG1)
    - Finch (has a quest for her Deneir)
    - Tenya (Umberlee in BG1)
    - ... I forget who else.
    some more
    - Sirene for Illmater
    - Isra for Sune
    - Sandrah for Mystra
    - BG2 Ajantis for Helm
    - Modded Keldorn for Torm (Keldorn romance mod)
    - one for Cyric in BG2 (was it Kido?)
    - Nethaniel for Lathander
    Another deity worth mentioning in the trilogy is Eilistraee, the Dark Maiden, daughter and opponent of Llolth. She is worshipped by drow who fled the Underdark (except Viconia > Shar) and surface elves who wish peace with their dark brothers and sisters. She has (obviously) a key role in Eilistraee's Song mod but also in the Solaufein related mods and in the Sandrah Saga due to her connections to Mystra.
    ThacoBell
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2017

Off the top of my head:
    - Gavin
    - Finch
    - Tenya
    - ... I forget who else.

Off the top of my head:
    - Gavin (gets some quests for Lathander in BG1)
    - Finch (has a quest for her Deneir)
    - Tenya (Umberlee in BG1)
    - ... I forget who else.
    some more
    - Sirene for Illmater
    - Isra for Sune
    - Sandrah for Mystra
    - BG2 Ajantis for Helm
    - Modded Keldorn for Torm (Keldorn romance mod)
    - one for Cyric in BG2 (was it Kido?)
    - Nethaniel for Lathander

Just to be clear - are these individual mods or do they come in a compilation such as BG EE NPC mod.

@JuliusBorisov Any plans for the final patches for the BG EE series to flesh out certain aspects of the game such as religions/deities/guilds/cults/factions etc?
    The mods in the combined list are all individual mods.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    O_Bruce said:

I'm not sure how Priest of Tyr is handled.

Same as any non-kitted cleric. Its based off of your alignment.
    O_BruceJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Any plans for the final patches for the BG EE series to flesh out certain aspects of the game such as religions/deities/guilds/cults/factions etc?

We do not have anything to share at this time about patches beyond 2.4.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Any plans for the final patches for the BG EE series to flesh out certain aspects of the game such as religions/deities/guilds/cults/factions etc?

We do not have anything to share at this time about patches beyond 2.4.
    Do you have anything to shave at this time, then?
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2017
    Makes sense for a mod but as a general change? Doesn't make sense for non-cleric BG classes because it only complicates things. You ARE already the spawn of a god, adding additional D&D deity drama to the mix would be like combining multiple ancient Greek myths and hoping that the end result still makes sense.

The thing about D&D gods is that they're basically just superpowered people, and like any normal person they have their issues, their baggage, their unique quirks and idiosyncrasies, and they are completely fallible.
    While their are a few gods who take their portfolios seriously and try very hard to embody the ideals they're supposed to represent, these are more the exception rather than the rule (eg. Helm, Waukeen). These particular deities also have a habit of dying or getting kidnapped or whatever.
    Just because you refuse to act like a shark doesn't change the fact that you live in a sea full of sharks.
    PaulaMigrate
    edited June 2017
    Nuin said:

Makes sense for a mod but as a general change? Doesn't make sense for non-cleric BG classes because it only complicates things. You ARE already the spawn of a god, adding additional D&D deity drama to the mix would be like combining multiple ancient Greek myths and hoping that the end result still makes sense.

The thing about D&D gods is that they're basically just superpowered people, and like any normal person they have their issues, their baggage, their unique quirks and idiosyncrasies, and they are completely fallible.
    While their are a few gods who take their portfolios seriously and try very hard to embody the ideals they're supposed to represent, these are more the exception rather than the rule (eg. Helm, Waukeen). These particular deities also have a habit of dying or getting kidnapped or whatever.
    Just because you refuse to act like a shark doesn't change the fact that you live in a sea full of sharks.

I fully agree to your point of leaving such changes out of the vanilla game. The concept of *gods is that they're basically just superpowered people, and like any normal person they have their issues, their baggage, their unique quirks and idiosyncrasies, and they are completely fallible* is the stuff from which mods, quests and episodes are woven. I'm currently in a playthrough with those mods listed in the earlier post and I now and then have encounters based on that, e.g.Talos, some overgrown chaotic misbehaving child trying to scare me, or the mad Cyric obviously trying to spy on someone who could endanger his portefolio as the current God of Murder after Bhaal. This is mod contents and should stay as such for those who are interested. I am but I can understand that others may think differently if those superpowers make their appearance in the game, even if it's just their mortal avatars and they do not really challenge you for fights.

In essence - since there are already mods that give you these options, there is no need to change the game in this respect. Mods are free and available to anyone, if you want such contents you can simply add it to your game at choice already now.
    Nuin