Skip to content

iOS BG:EE BG:EE II ID:EE Not compatible - iOS 10

ThalinorThalinor Member Posts: 2
I just picked up a new iPad (switched from android) and noticed a lot of the reviews are saying there are compatibility issues with the latest iOS version. You just released torment, so obviously you are still in business, do you plan on releasing updates for you other iOS titles? I am sick and tired of spending money on apps that get abandoned, which is why I left android in the first place. If an app is still being sold it should be updated, if not it shouldn't be sold. I just bought a different app only to find out it was not compatible so I don't want to go spend more money on three apps you are selling only to have the same issue. None of the titles listed above have been updated since 2015!!! Why are they still available for purchase if they have been abandoned? I checked a price history too and noticed you would run sales every few months however nothing since 2015 which again leads me to believe these apps are truly abandoned. I will say it one last time; if an app is not being updated and has compatibility issues with the latest OS why is it available for purchase? Please update your apps. I am considering buying ALL of them (despite having played them all MANY years ago) however no updates means no purchase, including torment as it shows you are not willing to keep supporting your apps.

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    You mean with the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit? Yes, they're working on converting the apps to 64-bit.
  • ThalinorThalinor Member Posts: 2
    Excellent Thank you.
  • davebaumdavebaum Member Posts: 4
    They definitely feel abandoned.

I purchased both BG1 and BG2 for the ipad. I also bought BG2 for Mac because I wanted to play it mostly on the ipad and occasionally on the desktop. For a while this worked well and moving saves back and forth was easy.

I think it was iOS 9 that introduced sandboxing, which meant you could no longer easily transfer saves,portraits, etc and mods became impossible. A proper fix would have been to embrace itunes file sharing, which is how other apps support sharing files between an iPad app and computer. Instead, beamdog added "long press on quicksave will email your saved game". That's ok as a crutch, and at least lets you get a saved game out, but even then they only released it for one of the BG games and not the other (I forgot which). Both BG1 and BG2 lag far behind their desktop versions, and they are also still 32 bit apps.

I considered buying IWD when it was released. I'd really like to play torment. But the past experience with BG1 and BG2 gave me pause. Show me that you actually care about the iPad and you'll win back a customer.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Thalinor

Let me assure you, they are in NO WAY abandoned. Beamdog is a small shop and we have to balance new releases with bug fixes and patches to our older software. We have never yet "Stopped" supporting a game. It may take a while for a patch cycle to come back around, but that does not mean a game is unsupported or abandoned.

Yes, the games are indeed throwing a message about "this may slow down your device" when you open then. I assure you also that's not happening. That is a generic warning from apple that is unfortunately being applied in this case due to the fact that the game has not been re-uploaded/updated for iOS 10.

That doesn't mean it doesn't work...on the contrary there are plenty of us both at Beamdog and customers around the world playing these games happily on their iOS 10 devices.

When a new iOS version comes out, the QA staff at beamdog does indeed test to ensure compatibility of the game on the new device. iOS wise, we've not yet (knocks on wood) had an iOS version come out that our games didn't support day 1.

Again, yes, there's a warning when loading the game. It is perfectly safe to load and play the game on your device. If you have any issues or problems with the game the support forums are active and bug reports on all games are filed and go into our backlog for processing.

If you have additional questions or concerns, feel free to ask.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @davebaum

Valid concerns. I'll let someone more experienced with iOS address this in a technical way, but I believe we do support drag/drop of saved games into iTunes to transfer them from Desktop to Tablet versions in the same way many other games do. (I could be incorrect on this and would appreciate being corrected if that's the case - And maybe that's only for BG1 which supports cloud saves).

You are correct about only one of the two games supporting the file sharing (It's BG1, and it's not just "email", you can enable any cloud sharing file transfer protocol such as Dropbox to move files around). BG2 and IWD have not received an update patch at this time allowing us to enable that content.

The games aren't abandoned, they will all eventually receive an update.
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    Illydth said:

...but I believe we do support drag/drop of saved games into iTunes to transfer them from Desktop to Tablet versions in the same way many other games do. (I could be incorrect on this and would appreciate being corrected if that's the case - And maybe that's only for BG1 which supports cloud saves).

@Illydth
    BG:EE v1.3.1 on iOS does not have iTunes File Sharing enabled. The only way to move saves off the tablet right now involves the Quick-save long-press feature.

As @davebaum pointed out, I also remember moving saves back and forth via iTunes when the game was released 4-5 years ago. However, when I recently came back to revisit it, I discovered it is no longer possible. iOS 8.3 introduced strict sandboxing in Apr 2015, and BG:EE's most recent update was a couple months later, so it is possible that it never got iTunes File Sharing explicitly enabled.

Though, on a positive note, PST:EE does have iTunes File Sharing enabled. The bad news is that it stores everything in "Library" , not the "Documents" folder that is normally exposed to iTunes users. However, it is still possible to use third-party tools to browse through the "Library" folder of an app that has File Sharing enabled. I've been able to transfer PST:EE saves on and off non-jailbroken devices, as well as do things like edit baldur.lua or install/uninstall the terrifying Morte easter egg mod.

It never really occurred to me that iTunes File Sharing not being enabled may be worthy of a bug report. Apple users are so accustomed to being locked out of their data, it sadly just seemed business as usual.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    @Thalinor I can attest the games still run great on the latest iOS version. You may get the pop-up telling you the app might slow down your iPad, but I haven't noticed any issues whatsoever. PS:T especially runs fantastic. I'm super impressed with the quality of the UI in it. Hopefully some of those updates will make it to the other games soon!
  • rehkirschrehkirsch Member Posts: 2
    PS:TEE crashes constantly on my iPad 4 on the newest firmware. Takes about 20seconds. I don't know if I'm the only one, but so far I wouldnt spend 10 bucks on it.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    @rehkirsch there are reports of problems with some iPads when using languages other than English. If this is what's happening for you please try temporarily disabling voice and setting feedback to never (or try in English). n.b. the latter may be required to prevent crashes in the Gathering Dust bar.

If that doesn't help or you are playing in English, could you report a new bug as per http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs

Thanks
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    I just noticed this thread, but I've had questions about this for a while.

Can I play BG:EE v1.3.1 on iOS/Android multiplayer with a Windows desktop user using the latest version of the game (v2.3.67.3)? In other words are they cross-compatible in their current state?

If not, is cross-play multiplayer possible with the Windows version of 1.3.1? If so, where can I get a copy of this older version of the game if I already own the latest version?

I have family members who will only play on a tablet, so I'd love to buy a second mobile copy if this is possible for multiplayer.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Q: Can I play BG:EE v1.3.1 on iOS/Android multiplayer with a Windows desktop user using the latest version of the game (v2.3.67.3)?

A: No.

Q: Is cross-play multiplayer possible with the Windows version of 1.3.1?

A: Yes.

Q: Where can I get a copy of this older version of the game if I already own the latest version?

A: On Steam, you can opt in beta of 1.3. To ask for a Steam key (if you have acquired the game from Beamdog), send an email to support@beamdog.com.
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    I own it on GOG. Can I get an older copy from there?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723

I own it on GOG. Can I get an older copy from there?

I don't believe GoG offers an option to roll back to previous versions.
  • AJCQube64AJCQube64 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new notification in the middle of a game saying it will no longer be compatible with the OS coming out. Hopefully that's not the case?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @AJCQube64 That's been showing up,for a while. You can still play the game. Beamdog is getting back to rolling out the 2.x update to iOS, Android, etc, which will fix that.
    @AJCQube64 What @tbone1 says is true.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    From the latest post on the Beamblog:

"......Our fans on iOS will be pleased to hear that we’re aware of the notification you’ve all been seeing regarding 32-bit applications and can rest assured that we will have all of our Enhanced Edition games upgraded to 64-bit as part of our 2.4 patch series. The Beamdog team has already started on the 64 bit update for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and plans to address the same issue on Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition afterwards. Expect to see more details on these iOS patches later this summer......"
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Official: 32-bit apps won't run on iOS 11:
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/06/ios-11-32-bit-mac-app-store-64-bit/

Dear developers,
    The time has come.......
    edited June 2017
    This is why all the work now is on the 64 bit update.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

This is why all the work now is on the 64 bit update.

And I can tell you, as someone who did 16- to 32-bit conversions on C/C++ and 32- to 64-bit conversions for a variety of languages, that ain't a small task. Granted, the tools today are better (I did my first one using vi and sed), but there is also a lot more code.