Skip to content

Some Chain Contingency Questions (Mostly EE Related)

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me answer a few questions related to Chain Chain contingency on the enhanced editions. I've got SCS installed.

1. Can a projected image cast chain contingency?

2. Do spells loaded in a chain contingency assume a level 9 spell value for the purposes of penetrating "protects against spells of level x and below effects" (e.g. Globe of Invulnerability) and Lich/Rakshasa spell level protection?

3. Does the old trick of firing a party-unfriendly spell in a chain contingency at yourself to penetrate magic resistance still work in EE (e.g. Fireball?

4. Can chain contingencies still target foes that are completely invisible?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    1. Nope. Original caster only. Casting it won't do anything, and the original caster's contingencies will only trigger on them; not their clones. Same goes for spell sequencers and triggers; the clone can't create them or use them.
    2. Nope. Only the original spell levels matter; three level 8 spells will strike as three level 8 spells.
    3. No, EE changed that. A bunch of Sunfire spells will still be terribly strong, though.
    4. Yes!
  • Livegood118Livegood118 Member Posts: 48
    Great – thanks for the help!

Couple of questions for bonus points:

1. Does Shapechange work with project image?
    2. What Enchantment level do mindflayer tentacles hit with in EE?

I'm trying to think of ways to combat demons in SCS with a sorcerer and frankly it's not looking good. They can auto-invis (making them untargetable), teleport at will, immune to fire, high magic resist, strong resistances/saving throws etc ...
  • Livegood118Livegood118 Member Posts: 48
    Wow - best answer I could have possibly hoped for. Cheers.