Skip to content

Why "RESPONSE #100"?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
Why not just "RESPONSE #1"? Would save our fingertips.

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    Is this a joke or a real question?
    Probability 1 per cent is the same as 100 per cent?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    edited June 2017
    It's not probability. Those are relative values. You write:

RESPONSE #1
    -something-
    RESPONSE #2
    -something else-

...and the second one will happen twice as often as the first. Same as if you had written #100 and #200.

I don't think he understood that it represent a percentage probability.

I myself never knew that. Is that really true?

Yes. There is no point to overtyping.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It's a 'weight' (for lack of better term) and accepts any positive number. It determines the probability a response is chosen in relation to all available responses in the same response set. The specific numeric value is irrelevant if you only have a single response in the same response set (although I would stick with #100 for consistency reasons).
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    My guess is that initially the RESPONSE value was coded as actual percentage, and at some point later changed to weight but everyone kept using 100 out of habit (or to keep it pretty looking and consistent).
    argent77 said:

(although I would stick with #100 for consistency reasons).

What consistency reasons? Keep doing the useless thing because we've always done it?

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Yes. When you work with large volumes, you really want to keep them well structured and organized, even if it costs a little extra effort to maintain.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    By using a default value of 100, you are allowing it to be extended in either direction, up or down. You can add responses with an equal probability(100), a lower probability(1-99), and a higher probability (101+).

A default value of 1 would only allow adding additional responses with an equal or higher probability, since there is no lower value you can use.
    Nor do you want to, 99% of the time. You people can do whatever you want. I know I'm not stealing zeroes from the door of a loo to put them in a script so that God can look from on high and pat me on shoulder.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Why do you have to be like this with all these people who accept to help you again and again chimeric...?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited June 2017
    Let it go. It's not something that's going to affect anyone.
    edited June 2017

Why do you have to be like this with all these people who accept to help you again and again chimeric...?

They do it because they want to. This isn't charity. We work together and swap ideas. Here's a small but obvious case when people should change their habits - it's for their benefit, but nooo. Well, I know I'm going to save myself this extra bit of work.