Skip to content

Lilarcor: Love it or Hate It?

ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
Seriously, I'd love to know your opinion.
  1. Lilarcor: Love it or Hate It?48 votes
    1. Love it!
      68.75%
    2. Hate it!
      10.42%
    3. Indifference
      20.83%
[Deleted User]tbone1

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    I love the guy, he's a great sword that is accessible from pretty much the beginning of the game. He's very useful and entertaining at the same time.

I also enjoy pairing him with Minsc, because I'm insane.
    sarevok57[Deleted User]tbone1ThacoBell
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I find it too annoying to use - and always have - despite the great immunities it provides.
    ZaramMaldovarAttalussmeagolheart
  • AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156
    It's a good sword. I always give it to Keldorn. That way I don't have to use up a pip in early game for two-handed. But, to quote the dwarves in the game, his chattering gets on me nerves! I wish there was a way to shut it up
    Beetle
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    I also give the sword to Minsc. Between Lilarcor and Boo, I figure he'll never be without somebody to talk to. I just wish there were some specific Lilarcor/Minsc dialogues.
    Arctodus[Deleted User]tbone1Raduziel
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I just found out recently in SoA, Lilarcor's banters to show up over head anymore, they only appear in the dialogue window, is there a way to make them appear on the game screen again?
    Quartz
    edited June 2017
    @sarevok57
    Shrugs, I dunno

I never really noticed this problem, nor have I had difficulty with it. I wouldn't know how to fix it but perhaps one of the wizards might.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Lilarcor's best ability is the immunity to confusion, which means it gets used when that is an issue and only then. For all the other times, Joril's Dagger is a +3 two-handed sword that is just strictly better and about as early to get.
    OrlonKronsteensemiticgoddess
    @Lord_Tansheron

Well sure...but Lilarcor is Free!
    sarevok57ThacoBellQuartzsemiticgoddess

Well sure...but Lilarcor is Free!

It may not cost money, but you pay for it just the same. With nerves.
    tbone1OrlonKronsteen
    edited June 2017
    @DJ_Sweatz_2013
    Maybe you will :P I enjoy the conversation.

It is a bit annoying to hear dialogue when you first enter the game though, especially when I have to reload multiple times.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    tbone1ThacoBellBalrog99
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    Since I turn off the sound in game anyway (after so and so may plathroughs I rather listen to something else instead), maybe I can't fully see the problem. I see some funny text that does not bother me but I can imagine if the thing really talks it might be annoying (but so are all the selection sounds etc after a while.) As a weapon I usually go for daystar in early BG2.
    @PaulaMigrate
    Daystar is a good one.
    But why not both? Give Lilarcor to Minsc and Daystar to another fighter.
    Souplesse

@PaulaMigrate
    Daystar is a good one.
    But why not both? Give Lilarcor to Minsc and Daystar to another fighter.

That's a personal thing probably, I play very large modded installs with EET, the vanilla contents (NPCs and items) plays a lesser role for me, there is so much else. And maybe the truth is that I played the quest to get Lilarcor so often that nowadays I tend to skip it.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Apropos of nothing, I've often wondered whether Lilarcor's "don't you wish you could dual-wield me?" interjection was a subtle jab at Diablo 2, which was released three months earlier and in which you actually *could* dual-wield two-handed swords, if you were so inclined.
    QuartzOrlonKronsteen
    edited June 2017
    @SomeSort
    Perhaps. Diablo 2 was direct competition at the time and is still being debated over. I've never played any of the Diablo Games mysef though, so I can't join the debate on which is better.

Also @ThacoBell I'd just like to reiterate how awesome your name is.
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen

@SomeSort
    Perhaps. Diablo 2 was direct competition at the time and is still being debated over. I've never played any of the Diablo Games mysef though, so I can't join the debate on which is better.

Quite possible. The game is full of such privat jokes by the devs that today probably not many players understand anymore.
    ThacoBelltbone1QuartzOrlonKronsteen
    @PaulaMigrate

Exhibit A: Lord Foreshadow
    ThacoBelltbone1QuartzBalrog99
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

@PaulaMigrate

Exhibit A: Lord Foreshadow

Or Larry, Darryl, and Darryl.

Also, I've often wondered if Willow Aspen Maple might be a reference to something from an old BBC radio show, though I doubt it.

ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited June 2017
    Liked his character, but I have no need for puny two-handed toothpicks. At least that sentient weapon on HotU was able to change its edgy shape.

But what we really need is a character overhaul for the Gnasher. It being the only other sentient weapon in the game. Everyone would love to have a talking wolverine spirit after all!
    Zaghoullolien

But what we really need is a character overhaul for the Gnasher. It being the only other sentient weapon in the game. Everyone would love to have a talking wolverine spirit after all!

I'd love to see that. Perhaps a darker take instead of the goofy Lilarcor, goading you to bash heads and pulp faces.
    lolienKamigoroshi
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

@SomeSort

They're different games. Both are ostensibly RPGs, but Diablo essentially defined the Action RPG genre, while Baldur's Gate is probably closer spiritually to turn-based strategy. Might as well compare them both to Mass Effect 2 while we're at it. They scratch different itches.

With that said, as someone whose first experience with an internet message board came on a forum for the BG/IWD series, I can attest to the fact that there was still a very large rivalry between BG2 players and D2 players back then. It left me irrationally biased against Diablo II and kept me from playing it for years, which is a shame because it's likewise one of my all-time favorite games.

In fact, the only games installed on my computer are BG1, BG2, IWD, Diablo II, and Terraria.
    ArctodusQuartz