Skip to content

Adventures through the realms! The challenge of challenges!

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
edited November 2017 in Challenges and Playthroughs
Gog did a great little deal on Neverwinter Nights recently... They gave it away free. No big deal. I already owned it and it worked pretty well already... But... They included all the extra adventures that Bioware released (and I did not own all of them) So I created an account and filled my boots...

But Gog had found my weakness. The Forgotten Realms. The land I was surely birthed in, before I was whisked away by foul smelling harpies as a babe, who then threw me, carelessly, into the reality vortex. I emerged into this dreary negative plane in which I grew, longing to return to the lands that I lost...

And... A portal was opened... A way back! Gog, like Beamdog, had gone over some of the old Forgotten Realm games and made them playable on modern machines (Some from as far back as 1988, to put that into context, the Pyramids were only built a few thousand years before!)

So here is my challenge. To play-through every single Forgotten Realm video game from Pools of Radiance (Released circa 1988) all the way up to Neverwinter Nights 2 (Released 2009).

Although perhaps that honour for the last released game should go to Icewind Dale: EE (2014) or perhaps Siege of Dragonspear (2016) an expansion of such grandeur it could be classed as a game in itself... but for the sake of timeline continuity... I will use the vanilla release date.

The only rules I have set myself are the following:

Rule 1: Play games in sequence, porting characters to the next game wherever possible.

Rule 2: Take one character (In this case moi, Anduin) into (and out of!) each game.

Rule 3: A screenshot of the end sequence needs to be taken to prove that the game has been completed, and/with main character wherever possible, proving that the game has been completed.

A rule imposed on me... But should be mentioned... Is that I will be playing games that are playable on a windows based OS. Games such as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance are not included in my list.

I do this in part to give reviews for the wonderful fanzine The WildSurge. Hopefully you will be able to read up on reviews later in the year!

I must now go... The realms call...

EDIT: Typos and clarifying "The imposed rule."
Post edited by Anduin on

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Anduin said:

If your wondering why I crossed out XCom: UFO Defence... It is because I recently finished it. A great little turn based isometric adventure where @mlnevese and his Martian mates try to wipe out mankind. I thoroughly recommend it.

Not set in the realms though... But here is a finish screenshot for you as a taster as to what to expect...

Clearly not real Martians... if real Martians were involved there would be no try in that sentence... and no humans alive to read this...
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Anduin Hehheh. I remember that all to well, even the darn head. I remember now how they listed age. Maybe those massive orc battles in Pool will run faster on today's computers, the lag used to be almost unbearable at times. I saw they had the Krynn series as well that I liked as well. But 7 bucks for a half dozen plus games I spent ALOT on back then ain't too shabby.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Anduin said:

You will not believe how far character creation has come...

This reminds me of a song... I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay!

It's from Leisure Suit Larry: Descent to the Depths of the Underdark

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Update...

I'm doing well. Xp is starting to come in thick and fast.

Many of the monsters simply flee (no xp or loot) or surrender (no xp some loot)

But with the higher levels I can kill the critters with impunity. Plus my fighters have gained the ability to sweep... They charge in and kill everyone around them... Plus my wizard can now cast TWO spells...

The loot screen... Whilst different... is very, very familiar...

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I have this same feeling I've seen it somewhere...