Skip to content

Next Game

So we have BG 1 & 2 plus interquel, PT, and IWD. Is there another enhanced edition game in the works? For that matter, are there any games left that they could remaster that goes with this group?

Comments

• islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    There's always IWDIIEE, but I prefer BG3 :)
    Winterisle
  • TheNPCTheNPC Member Posts: 57
    But what would be the story of BG3?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    TheNPC said:

There wouldn't be. The story of the Bhaalspawn is done.
    Wandering_Minstrel[Deleted User]kanisatha
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    TheNPC said:

Murder in Baldur's Gate?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/160318/Murder-in-Baldurs-Gate-5e
    ThacoBell said:

I read a interview of BD ceo somewhere that there could be a new BG game with IE, let's to hope :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2017

ThacoBell said:

I read a interview of BD ceo somewhere that there could be a new BG game with IE, let's to hope :)
    Where have you read it?

I recommend to listen to the podcast with Phillip Daigle from May 12, 2017, during which a glance into future has been given.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    tbone1batoor
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    I'd like to see an IDW2EE, but from what I've read, that could be a little difficult, since it apparently used a different system, or engine, or something like that. So I'm not going to let myself get too hopeful. :D

I think a BG3 could be interesting as well. Move on from the Bhaalspawn, and on to a different charname in a post-ToB storyline.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    No Bhaalspawn is neccesary.
    Two ideas
    1. Post-TOB Storyline that leaves vague what happened to Gorion's Ward.
    2. Post-SOD Two Words: Soultaker Dagger
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Seriously, just make Baldur's Gate: Soultaker about a new character's quest to locate Soultaker Dagger to restore life to Skie (with other more nefarious options if they are evil).
    It could even throw in a few NPCs from the Original Game (only ones not joinable for Gorion's Ward in BG2) and have some tie in to Tales of the Sword Coast.

There could even be an optional side-quest where the leadership of Baldur's Gate tasks charname with finding out as much as they can about the wherabouts of Gorion's Ward and the Fist's inability to do anything once it is discovered they are in Amn due to having no authority there.
    Papa_Lou[Deleted User]
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    ThacoBell said:

Its time to move past Gorion's Ward. That story is wrung dry at this point. The Soultaker plot centers around such a small NPC that almost no one ever uses, it can't really support a full game. It would fit much better as a side plot in BG2.

I wouldn't mind something smaller in BG2 regarding unfinished stuff from SoD, possibly Caelar or I don't know some fallout from the Dragonspear crusade. I'm not sure if it's a good idea though and it seems very unlikely to happen. Not that interested in Skie either, but the entire affair is unfinished in a sense or at least that's the feeling I got from it.
    [Deleted User]ThacoBellhelmo1977
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I think it is not explained how a disgraced Abdel Adrian from SoD is later accepted to become one of the dukes. That would require a soultaker saga.
    [Deleted User]batoor
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    batoorlolien
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    nlyh said:

Its no good dwelling on BG all the time, that story is done. We need a new exciting and fresh game set in the Forgotten Realms (With a toolset and persistent world capability).

Something new is great as well, but personally I wouldn't want them to focus on a toolset/custom content. That benefited nwn in the long run, but really hurt the development of the base campaign and wasn't really redeemed until SoU/HotU came along.
    [Deleted User]ThacoBell
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    TheNPC said:

I imagine it would feature a new cast of characters, but cover similar themes about choosing goodness despite your evil bloodline.

Probably take place in the distant future, since The Forgotten Realms have undergone a lot of changes since Baldur's Gate 1, and it'd be easier to keep it with the current canon than keep trying to dig up what The Realms looked like in 1368DR.
    [Deleted User]islandking
    edited June 2017
    Well aware of that, but consider this.

Not accepting the name means not accepting the happenings in murder in baldurs gate and other related canon (5th edition and the rebirth of bhaal).

I think that is a rather limited view.

If anything just ignore the books.

Btw of someone wants to get rid of the books, I know someone willing to read them (me).
    edited June 2017

Where have you read it?

I recommend to listen to the podcast with Phillip Daigle from May 12, 2017, during which a glance into future has been given.

Don't remember where, but the gist is:

-When asked the possibility to set in a new fantasy world rather than FR-
    Sticking to FR has advantages, being familiar with it, able to constantly improve knowledge via internet (FRWikia??) while other settings can't.

-When asked the possibility to create a new engine rather than IE-
    IE still has potentials, but when creating a engine is needed, it should be well made for future devs for many years to come.
    lroumen said:

Not accepting the name means not accepting the happenings in murder in baldurs gate and other related canon (5th edition and the rebirth of bhaal).

Btw of someone wants to get rid of the books, I know someone willing to read them (me).

I do ignore all the "canon" outside of the games with respect to the games' story. Its stupid and Wizards ruined it.
  • TheNPCTheNPC Member Posts: 57
    lroumen said:

I tried looking that up a while back. How did Bhaal get rebirthed for 5E?
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

The character is simply Gorion's Ward.

That's all well and good for BG1, but Charname balks at the idea of still being identified first and foremost as the ward of Gorion in a new town where pretty much no one has even heard of Gorion, (though they've certainly heard of Charname him/herself).
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    I hope I dont get banned for saying this, but, considering the sheer amount of vitriol targeted at beamdog following SoD (even discounting the hulabaloo surrounding a single dialogue piece spoken by a certain completely ignorable NPC) I think BeamDog needs to hire a professional storyteller if they make something new rather than polish something old.

For instance, there is like fifty artists making DnD / pathfinder / Star Wars / etc comics. I am sure most of those would jump at the opportunity of writing the story for BGIII. Doing something that high profile is like getting your black belt in karate.
    The general storyline was proofread by wotc though, wasn't it?
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    lroumen said:

WOTC thinks Adrain Abdel is canon. Nuff said.
    ThacoBell
  • SunderSunder Member Posts: 56
    DrakeICN said:

I hope I dont get banned for saying this, but, considering the sheer amount of vitriol targeted at beamdog following SoD (even discounting the hulabaloo surrounding a single dialogue piece spoken by a certain completely ignorable NPC) I think BeamDog needs to hire a professional storyteller if they make something new rather than polish something old.

For instance, there is like fifty artists making DnD / pathfinder / Star Wars / etc comics. I am sure most of those would jump at the opportunity of writing the story for BGIII. Doing something that high profile is like getting your black belt in karate.

1. What would you call David Gaider? A volunteer writer?

2. 38 Studios & Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning would seem to indicate that hiring high profile professional story tellers is not a guarantee for success. (Regardless of how ya feel, I think we have to agree RA Salvatore is a professional story teller).

3. The issue is trying to write a story to fit in/be similar to others' work I think.

Read "The Girl With the Red Dragon Tattoo" & the read the sequels written by other writers based off some ideas the original author laid out before he died. Very obvious they are trying to be of the same vain, but very obvious they are very different writers.

No, to me, they need to write their own story and move away from the bhaalspawn altogether. There is a LOT of room for epic stories in the Forgotten Realms, a lot of room in the same basic geographical area for that matter. No need to keep trying to add to an already great saga who's story has ran its courae IMO.
    ThacoBell
    DrakeICN said:

lroumen said:

...and he is...

lroumen said:

DrakeICN said:

lroumen said:

...and he is...

*plugs ears* lalalalala I can't hear you. Abdel doesn't exist and everything in the lore of 4e never happened.
    DrakeICNBelgarathMTHZilbermlnevese