Skip to content

Killing Shandalar

yksimaltyksimalt Member Posts: 115
Greetings all,

The other day, in one of my numerous random attempts to kill Shandalar after having fled the island, I succeded in stunning him with a wand, and after that it was quickly over.

What are the odds would you say, that the wand successfully stuns him?

The xp for the kill was amazing :)

First time ever slaying him, and thus my save-game file henceforth for CHARNAME is "Shandalar killed".

/A.

Post edited by yksimalt on
sarevok57

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    He came back, at least in my game, with the help of his daughters. However, this might have been mod added contents in my EET install.
    He ambushed me on the second floor of the Sorcerer's shop in BG City after I killed the other mages there.
    Raduziel
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I always kill him by setting some nasty poison and a hail of magic missiles. It's just a matter of timing.

Usually go with Charname (dagger of venom, arrows of biting, poisoned arrows (SCS Kobold random drop), Assassin's/Strifleader of Cyric poison, Eldoth's poison arrow, Poison spell, dart of wounding), some arcane spellcaster to break its minor globe of invulnerability and four others to throw the magic missiles.

Works 9 out of 10 times.
    Aerakar
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

He came back, at least in my game, with the help of his daughters. However, this might have been mod added contents in my EET install.

He ambushed me on the second floor of the Sorcerer's shop in BG City after I killed the other mages there.
    I 99% guarantee a game mod added that.
    ThacoBellAerakarSkatansarevok57
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Has to be mod. I killed the guy once and he stayed dead. Paralyzation wand cheese, the most obvious kind of cheese.
    SkatanAerakarsarevok57
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well looking at his stats here that matter for resistance against the wand:

save vs wand is 1, and he has 5% magic resistance due to his robe

the chance of him being paralyzed by the wand first try are 19%
    AndreaColombo
  • yksimaltyksimalt Member Posts: 115
    Are you sure about the percentage?

Pretty sure that I have tried a wand of stunning more than 5 times in a row, times the times I have tried it (20-30) without success.

/A.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @yksimalt are you playing with mods?
    No mods.

/A.
    edited July 2017
    @yksimalt if you've tried it that often without success then it sounds like you've been unlucky :p.

Checking in the game, the saving throw of 1 quoted above is the unadjusted one - that's reduced to a save of 0 by the robe of the neutral archmagi. That thus means chance of being paralyzed by the wand is:
    - wand of paralyzation has a save at -4, so adjusted chance of failure is 3 out of 20 or 15%.
    - MR from the robe is 5% so will kick in on 1 in 20 of those occasions where saving throw is failed, leaving overall chance at just over 14%.

Remember also that if you don't succeed with your first attempt Shandalar is likely to buff up - using globe of invulnerability will prevent any further attempts from succeeding.
    AndreaColombotbone1sarevok57
    ah, oops, completely forgot about the saving throw bonus from the robe in my calculation haha
    Well, if that is the case, seems a bit too easy gaining some 20k xp.

Save game. Use wand of stunning. Reload and try again...

How does one take him down without cheese?

My problem seems to be that every time I get him fairly wounded (used a Cleric tank and the rest of the team were using bows and darts) he bails out with his portal and leaves.

/A.
    Any encounter is easy if you're prepared to reload constantly, but I don't see why establishing an enemy's weaknesses and gearing your attacks to those should automatically be considered cheesy. Is it cheesy to use protection from petrification (or Korax, or a familiar) to take advantage of the easy XP from basilisks?

If you want to kill Shandalar, you need to do that quite quickly. He has 80% resistance to physical damage and 100% resistance to elemental damage, but his weak link is he has no magic damage resistance. Hence things like magic missiles (particularly through minor sequencer), skull traps and unholy blight can all do good damage. Try and stagger attacks slightly in order to disrupt his attempt to buff and allow your casters another round of damage.
    ArtonaAndreaColomboQuartz
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Ok, just killed him having only Imoen (Psypher - a psionic kit from @subtledoctor 's Might and Guile) and Charname (Ranger, wearing the Bracers of Blinding Strike that Alora got from Drizzt by accident).

Spammed Psionic Crush (it bypasses MR and have a save penalty) and attacked him with 8 APR (Charname is using Thalantyr's upgraded Dagger of Venom) from the Improved Haste.

Easy as goblin pie.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ...wouldn't blueberry pie be much easier? Goblins are weak, but they fight back, blueberries don't even have thorns! I suspect lichti tomoato would be the toughest pie, what with the inch long spines. :open_mouth:

I definately found the wand of paralyzation to be bugged in my game; it had no penalty on it's save, so bosses were safe. Made by Bard solo pissy as a gallon of beer, was really annoying! I had no mods either.
    DreadKhan said:

...wouldn't blueberry pie be much easier? Goblins are weak, but they fight back, blueberries don't even have thorns! I suspect lichti tomoato would be the toughest pie, what with the inch long spines. :open_mouth:

I definately found the wand of paralyzation to be bugged in my game; it had no penalty on it's save, so bosses were safe. Made by Bard solo pissy as a gallon of beer, was really annoying! I had no mods either.

are you sure the save penalty didn't work in an unmodded game? my game is unmodded and my wands of paralysation come with the -4 save penalty, in fact the perfect way to test it would be to see if shandalar gets paralyzed by it, since the only way he could possibly fail would be if he had a penalty to the save