5. Dungeoun Be Gone
6. Kelsey
7. NPC Strongholds
8. Quest Pack
9. Unfinished Business
10. Xan
11. Wheels of Prophecy
12. SCS

I also have trouble installing the initial required part of SCS. I have been directed to a hotfix but I don't know what to do with it.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited July 2017
    Have you considered using Big World Setup to install the mods? It should always have the latest versions and fixes, and will determine conflicts and install orders on its own.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2017
    @Lord_Tansheron
    But the board says that BWS can't fix mod errors and I'd need something called BW Fix Pack.

Besides, I'd rather not install another mod simply to install mods.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

@Lord_Tansheron
    But the board says that BWS can't fix mod errors and I'd need something called BW Fix Pack.

BWSFixpack is included in BWS. You really should use it, because it knows the right installation order.
    And typically in your case, the current version of SCS is bugged but BWS fixes it.
    If you really don't want to use BWS, browse the General Modding board. There's a stickied SCS thread and in one of the sub-threads it links to, Subtledoctor gave a way of fixing it. But really BWS is much simpler if you aren't too much into technical details
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    If you use the BWS, there is an option during your mod selection that lets you pause the install before some selected mod. It is odten a good idea to do this for SCS. If there is any problem with SCS you can revert to manual install and can install the components one after the other rather than one big chunk. Afterwards just let BWS continue. Helped me and others when doing big modded installs.

@Lord_Tansheron

BWS doesn't fix errors, that's true, but since it always fetches the most recent versions of mods, chances are those versions have had their errors fixed by the people responsible. That's the case for SCS, where the standalone download has errors with the latest patch of the EE, but the BWS version already contains the fixes you would otherwise have to apply manually (see explanation above).

Also, BWS is not in itself a mod. It's just an installation tool. It basically just provides a convenient interface to automatically download mods, select them, select their components, and make sure everything is installed with as few conflicts between mods as possible. Doing that manually can be very tricky, but if you prefer running executables yourself for every single mod feel free :) The content is the same.
    @Lord_Tansheron
    Ok that makes sense, but just like the hotfix, I can't seem to figure out how to get BWS to work.
    @ZaramMaldovar What's the problem, exactly? I find it fairly well documented and very intuitive to use. Have you looked at the picture guide in the thread? Is there something in particular that you need help with, maybe?
    edited July 2017
    @Lord_Tansheron
    Ok, got it installed. Now do I uncheck mark mods because I don't want to install them all

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I'll get back to you if I have any other problems
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    edited July 2017
    @Lord_Tansheron
    Will I be able to manual uninstall components I don't want?, because BWS installs everything automatically.

Also how to do I fix the install so that it doesn't try to force me to install EE Trilogy related mods that I can't seem to uncheck.

BG1 was easy
    BG2 is looking like it isn't going to be so easy.
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    There are very few required components. Go with the minimal template, then enable what you want (rather than going with everything and DISABLING what you DON'T want).

You probably can manually install/uninstall afterward, but I would not recommend it. Installing small mods on top of an existing install is probably okay. Uninstalling will probably mess something up. Try to be thorough with your initial selection, or otherwise restore the backup and redo it from scratch. Unfortunately BG2 is a bit complicated to mod, due to how the engine works. BWS makes the modding interface easier, but it can't really change the rules of the code.
    Ok thanks, I'll remember to do that next time.

If I run across any bugs, I'll know to restore my backup and start over again. I know how to manually install mods for BG2, but I found BWS was supposed to make it easier, not try to force install mods on me.

I click an option that says BGII:EE/EE Trilogy

Am I supposed to click BG:EE even it's BG2:EE? Or will that not work? How do I uncheck the EET mods that I don't want. Will it just tell me they can't be installed since I don't have EET? Or will it force me to have EET?

I wish installing SCS wasn't this complicated.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

If I run across any bugs, I'll know to restore my backup and start over again. I know how to manually install mods for BG2, but I found BWS was supposed to make it easier, not try to force install mods on me.

Am I supposed to click BG:EE even it's BG2:EE? Or will that not work? How do I uncheck the EET mods that I don't want. Will it just tell me they can't be installed since I don't have EET? Or will it force me to have EET?

SCS is INCREDIBLY tempramental. Its a tribute to how loved it is that people are willing to put up with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited July 2017
    ThacoBell said:

SCS is INCREDIBLY tempramental. Its a tribute to how loved it is that people are willing to put up with it.
    You select the option that says BGII:EE/EE Trilogy. You put *-* when asked about your BGEE folder and only point BWS to the BG2EE folder
    You either chose a preselected compilation or do your own choices. If you unselect the EET itself, it will remove all the mods that require EET. You select NO in the EET_end component.

SCS is what the primadonna for a lot of reasons I will not dwell on here.
    There is an option with right clicking on the BWS mod selection menu where you can *Pause installation* prior to some mod of your choice. Do this for SCS. Do the SCS install manually. May be some extra effort but the success rate is higher (I always managed to get it installed this way regardless how complex and big my mod selection was + with EET). Even if a component has issues you will not have to wait for hours and hours to recognise it. Break SCS into chunks - you can leave the install and resume it after each successfully installed component. As a side effect this method gives you better chance to consider which SCS components you REALLY need or want. It may be less than you thought.
    Once SCS is installed with your selection unpause BWS and let it to the rest.
    Post edited by PaulaMigrate on