Skip to content

Why don't Acid Protection scrolls work in Durlags tower

RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 164
As per title. Specifically on the last level, was trying to work out how to get to Grael without taking damage. Thought i could use the various protection from acid scrolls I've gained during the game but they don't seem to do anything
tbone1

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Protection from Acid scrolls do work. The scroll makes you take half damage from acid. But I think I see the problem. The problem is that damage in Baldur's Gate is rounded up. The acid regions do 1 acid damage; your scroll cuts it in half, but it gets rounded up to 1 again. This makes it seem like the scroll isn't doing anything.
    mf2112[Deleted User]tbone1
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I just tested and the Scroll of Protection from Acid (which really casts the 5th-level Protection from Acid spell on the target) does indeed give 100% acid resistance, meaning you take no damage from the green slime on the floor in that area. The spell still makes you suffer the "I just got hit" animation but no damage takes place--my mage could even cast a spell while standing on the slime. Technically, that damage is a spell being applied but even though the spell is listed as being level 1 casting Minor Globe of Invulnerability does nothing--the damage still gets through.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

I just tested and the Scroll of Protection from Acid (which really casts the 5th-level Protection from Acid spell on the target) does indeed give 100% acid resistance, meaning you take no damage from the green slime on the floor in that area. The spell still makes you suffer the "I just got hit" animation but no damage takes place--my mage could even cast a spell while standing on the slime. Technically, that damage is a spell being applied but even though the spell is listed as being level 1 casting Minor Globe of Invulnerability does nothing--the damage still gets through.

There are 2 Scrolls of Protection from Acid:
    Green - which must be identified, is usable by anyone, and only grants 50% resistance.
    Blue - which is only usable by mages/bards and casts the actual spell, granting 100% resistance.

A spell's level is irrelevant to Spell Defenses(Globes of Invulnerability, Deflection, Turning, SpellTrap), it is the level of it's effects which matters, which is admittedly very inconsistent among traps. This traps effects are level 0 (correct).
    Spell levels are restricted by internal mechanics, and thus are not always an accurate representation of its effects, but for learnable Priest and Wizard spells, this is (mostly) kept consistent.
    Mathsorcererbob_veng
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 164

I just tested and the Scroll of Protection from Acid (which really casts the 5th-level Protection from Acid spell on the target) does indeed give 100% acid resistance, meaning you take no damage from the green slime on the floor in that area. The spell still makes you suffer the "I just got hit" animation but no damage takes place

Thanks. Will check this next when I get there again.

Just tried. Have only found green scrolls no blue ones and I definitely take a 1 hp hit, sometimes a couple
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    as stated, 1 dmg does not get rounded down to zero with the green scroll
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Have you tried using two scrolls on the same character? Most everything in BG stacks, so that should give you 100% acid resistance and let you walk over the floors without a problem.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Those scrolls do indeed stack - I regularly double them up to avoid taking any damage from ankheg acid.
    [Deleted User]
    Cheers on the stacking tip.

So where do these "blue" scrolls come from?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited July 2017
    Protection from acid mage spell is 5th level and I'm not sure there are any of those in BG1. Green scrolls are on sale in the Carnival, High Hedge and Sorcerous Sundries from memory and there's the odd one dotted around as loot as well.