Skip to content

Haven't played in a while but having lots of issues now.

KanaricKanaric Member Posts: 31
I previously played BG2 EE about a year ago exactly and wasn't having any issues. Now I am getting weird freezing and delays, sometimes effectively crashing the game on me.

If I click any of the left side interface buttons there will be a momentary freeze, if I try to do things too quick in the menus that come up the game will freeze completely. When I try to skip videos, like the intro video, it will sound loop and eventually close.

The regular gameplay interface when you are walking around runs fine but if I try to equip weapons it will do this. If I accidently double click something it usually will force me to restart.

Any ideas?

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Sounds like possible video driver issues, updated recently? What version are you running, Beamdog client version, or Steam, or Gog? Any mods installed?
  • badungubadungu Member Posts: 53
    Maybe you should also tell us on which operating system you're playing (Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, iOS, Android... ;))
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited June 2017
    Hi @Kanaric, couple of quick Qs. What OS are you using? What beast are you playing on (table / laptop / desktop, discrete graphics card etc)? and what version of BG2EE is it? I will assume a Windows 10 platform with the latest version of BG2EE.

Initial thoughts are that it sounds like it may be a graphics driver prob.

- If laptop / desktop with Windows 10, it has likely gone through a major patch and some minors since you last played. Make sure you have the latest graphics card driver installed.

- Reinstall DirectX 9 and force the game to use either DirectX or OpenGL. If you are running BG2EE 2.x, check your baldur.lau for this line:

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')

If it is a 1, then try changing it to 0; if it is a 0, then change to 1. 1 = DirectX, 0 = OpenGL

- If you have a discrete graphics card, make sure it is using the card and not the integrated Intel (or vica versa to test...). To help with this, I have included below a sample of what I have in my baldur.lua with regard to the graphics card (Laptop with GeForce 770M, Windows 10) using DirectX...

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','renderer','GeForce GTX 770M/PCIe/SSE2')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','vendor','NVIDIA Corporation')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','version','DirectX 9.0c')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')

Same laptop using the integrated Intel card, OpenGL

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','version','OpenGL version 4.3.0 - Build 20.19.15.4501 - build XXXX')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','vendor','Intel')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','renderer','Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600')

Hope this helps
    Gus

Edit: Well, it seems that others have had the same idea...
  • KanaricKanaric Member Posts: 31
    Using Steam version and on Windows 10.

Version of the game is the current Steam version.

Using 382.53 nvidia drivers.

I'll try this open gl thing
    Ok for some reason my replies were not being posted...

Windows 10 version

Current STEAM version off the game

Nvidia driver 382.53

I edited the baldur.lua to use open gl and the forever freezing stopped it seems but it still freezes for like 10 seconds when i'm clicking through the spell menus instead of totally freezing to where i have to crash the game out about half the time.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Kanaric Your replies here were caught in the site's spam filter. I have returned them to the forum and verified your account so that this should not happen again.
    So I have played for a while with this Open GL renderer and while the freezing has been reduced it still happens often enough to be an annoyance.
    Tresset said:

@Kanaric Your replies here were caught in the site's spam filter. I have returned them to the forum and verified your account so that this should not happen again.

Thanks
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Can you attach a directx diagnostic please.
    (Windows/R, type dxdiag, click ok, when the green progress bar completes save all information).

In the meantime I suspect a slightly newer graphics card driver may be available, but I wouldn't want to rule out other possibilities such as sound card at this stage.

Thanks
    I upgraded the graphics driver and this did not resolve it.

dxdiag is attached.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Kanaric - Sorry to hear you are still having probs... Nice system (I have an old nice Windows Tablet with entire 2 GB RAM that works and we can swap if you want ;) )

With the updated video driver, try switching back to DirectX. For my systems, I have found that switching to DirectX fixed a number of problems (SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')).

Did you try and (re)-install DirectX 9.0c. From a previous discussion, you may need to download the offline installer to set it up. Here is where you could pick that up. It wont downgrade DirectX 12 and the two live peacefully together with no bickering.

Could you also open your baldur.lua (..My Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Baldur.lua) and post (or you could just post the entire contents in a spoiler) the lines that start with:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics', ..)

It appears you have two video cards and I am guessing that you run them in SLI. Have you tried disconnecting one just to see if that makes a difference. I am not expecting that it will but it would remove any doubt...

Did you manage to update your sound card driver?

Are you running any mods? Apart from Windows updates, did you make any system changes since it was playing well?

OKay, enough for the moment. Lets try these then continue on.

Fingers crossed (gotta love it when the technical magic in computing comes down to how the fingers look and where the tongue is located).
    Gus
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Nothing stands out that I can see.

Could you try installing / re-installing directx 9.0c (it can install alongside later versions)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

If that doesn't help could you try out the remaining steps (other than) 3 at https://beamdog.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206729933-Windows-My-Game-Won-t-Launch-Or-Is-Crashing-On-Launch and advise if any of them help.

Thanks