Skip to content

The inofficial Worst Father of the Realms contest

Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
Who makes the worst father of the Realms? Here is a quick rundown of my candidates:

Cernd: After getting his wife pregnant, but before he learns this (yeah right!), he runs off to serve nature. When he finds out he has a son, he hurriedly runs off to rescue the child - and leaves him with other druids while he goes off adventuring again! The rest, as they say, is history.

Coran: Runs out on his (pregnant and married) mistress. When he later learns that he has a daughter, he goes only so far as to save her life, before leaving the infant with the (now widowed) mother.

Keldorn Firecam: Leaves his family for extended periods of time to go adventuring. After almost losing them all because of his negligence, he ... goes adventuring again!

Cor Delryn: Out to prove that alcohol is a dissolving agent, Cor uses alcohol to dissolve not only his business but also his entire family.

Shandalar: Will forget that you murdered his three daughters after you bring him his magical cloak. (If you only burgle his house, he will even make this a polite request.)

Farmer Brun: Living in the middle of an Ankheg colony, this simple farmer doesn't teach his son that Ankheg hunting is a job better left to reasonably seasoned adventurers.

Entar Silvershield: The richest man in Baldur's Gate apparently can't afford a proper upbringing for his daughter Skie, such as teaching her not to go adventuring with the worst womanizer, spouse abuser, and charlatan on the Sword Coast.

Charname: Gorion's Ward chooses to become a god rather than face the life of a family man - leaving Aerie and little Quayle to fend for themselves.

Bhaal: Fathers a multitude of children shortly before his (long anticipated) death - hoping that they will butcher each others as fuel for his own rebirth!
  1. The inofficial Worst Father of the Realms contest37 votes
    1. Cernd
      10.81%
    2. Coran
        5.41%
    3. Keldorn Firecam
        0.00%
    4. Cor Delryn
      16.22%
    5. Shandalar
        8.11%
    6. Farmer Brun
        0.00%
    7. Entar Silvershield
        5.41%
    8. Charname
        0.00%
    9. Bhaal
      45.95%
    10. Other (please specify!)
        8.11%
[Deleted User]JuliusBorisovAndreaColomboQuartz

Comments

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    JoenSo said:

You know that the realms are filled with bad fathers when you for a moment think that Angelo is pretty decent one. At least he doesn't leave his daughter to be executed for a crime he took part in framing her for.

Angelo! How could I forget him? :blush:
    lolien
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

Angelo! How could I forget him? :blush:

Because he's a decent guy who worked for the law, saved his daughter's life and was loyal to the end? Oh wait.
    Montresor_SPdeltago
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I'm at bit miffed at Gorion at times. Not the the worst I suppose but doesn't give second chances when it comes to five finger discounts in CK. He is even heard arguing with Ulraunt bout dying first before chuckin CHARNAME out the gates on his own but is more than happy to blast him to bits with lightning. No talking to, no hickory switches, no trial, nothing,just POW,BAM, ZAP, and one is bbq'ed right on the spot.
    That ain't right man, that just ain't right...

Talk about tough love and being stern. Helps one to an early grave with no chance of redemption.
    Montresor_SPtmaso
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Oh by the way, about Shandalar, that house in central Baldur's Gate isn't his house. It belongs to Oberan, the mage who you find on the second floor. Shandalar's daughters were just staying there for a bit.
    Montresor_SPlolien
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited July 2017
    Entar had the money to hire someone else to raise his daughter to not be a doormat. Big fail imho.

Isn't Angelo the reason Shar-teel is kinda a psycho man-hater? I kinda assumed that.
    Post edited by DreadKhan on
    Montresor_SP
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Cernd, makes excuses for himself to the end. Also, rescuing his son from a Lich applicant and very evil man, STILL somehow manages to raise a genocidal archmage. That is some dedicated bad fathering right there.
    Montresor_SPtbone1Arctodus
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Oh by the way, about Shandalar, that house in central Baldur's Gate isn't his house. It belongs to Oberan, the mage who you find on the second floor. Shandalar's daughters were just staying there for a bit.

Rubbish timing.

I voted Shandalar, because seriously, what the hell??
    Montresor_SP
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I really can't blame farmer Brun. I know I went clean off the chain in RL when I was young, no matter what the folks said. ;)
    Montresor_SPThacoBell
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited July 2017
    DreadKhan said:

Entar had the money to hire someone else to raise his daughter to not be a doormat. Big fail imho.

Isn't Angelo the reason Shar-teel is kinda a psycho man-hater? I kinda assumed that.

Angelo is her father. Not sure how much of that is explained in vanilla game though, it's elaborated in detail by BG1NPC project mod (which is kind of half-vanilla/BG1-canon meanwhile). Shar-Teel Dorsan - Angelo Dorsan.
    DreadKhanMontresor_SP
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    What about Vaeleg, Lissa's husband from Jan's quest in BG2? Surely he has "earned" a spot on this list.
    Montresor_SPDreadKhanJoenSoThacoBell

DreadKhan said:

Angelo is her father. Not sure how much of that is explained in vanilla game though, it's elaborated in detail by BG1NPC project mod (which is kind of half-vanilla/BG1-canon meanwhile). Shar-Teel Dorsan - Angelo Dorsan.
    I was aware of that; I was under the impression his poor parenting was a major contributor to his daughter's issues. Isn't there heavy handed hints of abuse?
    Montresor_SPThacoBell
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Overall, Bhaal is the worst, no doubt about it. But from mortals, it's tougher pick. I'd probably choose Cor Delryn, especially since I happen to work in addiction clinic and let's say I managed to find out how serious having alcoholic family head can be.
    Montresor_SPbatoor
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    edited July 2017
    DreadKhan said:

I was aware of that; I was under the impression his poor parenting was a major contributor to his daughter's issues. Isn't there heavy handed hints of abuse?

I always assumed so too, but I don't think it's ever outright stated? It's just that Shar-Teel hates men, Angelo and the Flaming Fist for some reason. And I guess that's enough information to draw some conclusions.
    Montresor_SP
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    DreadKhan said:

DreadKhan said:

Not by her father. He was just typical macho. Girls learn cooking and household and such, he wouldn't let her pick a sword instead of a broom. She ran away.
    She was abused by an officer and his men later, when she already lived an outlaw type life.
    Angelo may just be an old fashion model of father, and an oppotunist and weak man, but he did not misuse his daughter and all in all does not qualify for the championship in this topic.
    Montresor_SP
    I don't count BG1NPC stuff as cannon, is that where the specifics are from? I've traveled with her a few times and never come across that. I did get the unpleasant father daughter vibe from the Fist compound.
    Montresor_SP
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Definitely Coran. He's quite a douchebag for somebody supposedly Chaotic Good.
    Montresor_SP
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    How about Abizagal?

Leaves his son outside on his own to face Charname knowing full well how dangerous they will be. While keeping quite a few guards near himself to cover his own sorry arse.

Then there's Marlowe you meet in Amkethran, sells his soul to the devil, first lets his wife die for it and then watches his daughter dying for the same reason and still won't go to see the lich.

Montresor_SPDreadKhanArctodusMortianna
  • AbYsMaLAbYsMaL Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2017
    I'm voting for Entar because the OP's post forgets that he paid Kagain (who, mind you if you meet him at his shop is basically paying you dirt and is probably a known cheapskate) to send a caravan with his son through bandit-infested areas. Sure, that seems like it's a great plan, but considering how Kagain is, it's much more likely than Kagain was paid to make sure the caravan took a dangerous route or met a bunch of unsavory peoples considering how far the caravan would be from Baldur's Gate (if a level 1 character could make it to Beregost without a scratch and a caravan with armed mercs was taken out in that same area... something is fishy).

Fatherly indeed.

P.S.: I'm aware that the quest is broken and that obviously there was meant to be more for the quest. But I'm sure a lot of people do forget that Kagain is tied to Entar with that caravan. And I'm basically using the Kagain/Entar thing as more conspiracy theory... but has no one else noticed the bizarre timing of that caravan request besides me? And I'm not really saying the OP forgot about the relationship Entar and Kagain had since this is still more theory than not.

P.P.S.: I still haven't beaten BG1 yet after a year and a half, and so I won't move on to Baldur's Gate 2 until I do. I'm still working on it slowly but surely... it's only been about a year or so.
    Post edited by AbYsMaL on
    Montresor_SPDreadKhan
  • tmasotmaso Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Nine-way tie for first place. They ALL sound like creeps.
    DreadKhanMontresor_SP
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    I give Cernd some extra points for knowing he's not father material and still goes to rescue the child he didn't know about and then try to put it with better parents. I don't know about EE but in the original game I want to say you had a few options about where to place his son.
    Montresor_SP