Skip to content

Can someone explain me how do I use the ilithium?

I've read many times that you can use it to improve a weapon, but I don't understand how you would be able to discover it in a playthrough. I was never able to forge it

Comments

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    You find a certain smith who deals with exotic material to make a weapon.

Such a certain smith might live in the Docks district. Perhaps on the far east side.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited July 2017
    You can use it on one particular weapon.

The Mace of Disruption+2 can be upgraded to +4 using Ilithium Ore, the one chunk that you can get during the Sir Sarles quest. Only the actual ore will do, NOT the substitute; you can get both, then give the substitute to Sir Sarles later, and still complete his quest (don't talk to him with the real ore in your bag or he'll take that).
    At the south-eastern edge of the Docks there is a house with the dwarven smith Cromwell in it, who forges all the items that are possible to make/upgrade in SoA. He can use the Ilithium and the Mace of Disruption+2 to make the improved version, just talk to him while you have both in your bags and ask him to look for things he can use. It will take quite a bit of gold, too, but it's worth it. The weapon is an insane undead killer, and comes with Protection from Negative Energy, too.
    JuliusBorisovlolientbone1
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Just to clarify @Lord_Tansheron's post as it can be a bit unclear in game.

When you speak to the iron ore merchant, you need to find out the name of the contact for the real illithium and comission her to make the alloy so you end up with two "lumps". Then, and this is important, take the alloy only to Sir Sarles. If you have both, drop the real illithium just outside the house and pick it up straight after leaving the house when you have talked to him, or put it safely in a container. Sir Sarles will always take the real illithium if you are carrying it, leaving you with a useless lump of alloy.
    ronaldotbone1
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Doesn't Sir Sarles totally call you out on the alloy if you give him that instead of the real thing?
    DreadKhan
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Yes, but the temples are not as dismissive of the outcome of the quest if you mess up with Sir Sarles
    ThacoBell
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

You can use it on one particular weapon.

The Mace of Disruption+2 can be upgraded to +4 using Ilithium Ore, the one chunk that you can get during the Sir Sarles quest. Only the actual ore will do, NOT the substitute; you can get both, then give the substitute to Sir Sarles later, and still complete his quest (don't talk to him with the real ore in your bag or he'll take that).
    At the south-eastern edge of the Docks there is a house with the dwarven smith Cromwell in it, who forges all the items that are possible to make/upgrade in SoA. He can use the Ilithium and the Mace of Disruption+2 to make the improved version, just talk to him while you have both in your bags and ask him to look for things he can use. It will take quite a bit of gold, too, but it's worth it. The weapon is an insane undead killer, and comes with Protection from Negative Energy, too.
    IIRC, the MoD should start as a +1 weapon. It is then upgraded to +2 with the ilithium (though it strikes as a +5 weapon). Or has this been changed?
    ThacoBell
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

IIRC, the MoD should start as a +1 weapon. It is then upgraded to +2 with the ilithium (though it strikes as a +5 weapon). Or has this been changed?

Could be, I haven't played unmodded in literal years. Either way, the upgrade is still ridiculously powerful, chunking liches left and right.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @OrlonKronsteen It is indeed a +2 that strikes as a +5, I just assembled it 2 days ago.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    @ThacoBell Enjoy your rampage with it! It can be great fun, although sometimes it feels too powerful, IMO. I usually give it to Viconia.
    ThacoBell
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    I usually give it to Minsc. He's specialized in the mace proficiency, can dual wield for extra attacks per round, and his racial enemy is Vampire. It's practically made for him.
    tbone1ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen