Skip to content

Happy 150th Birthday Canada!

deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
Happy Birthday to the country that brought us both Baldur's Gate and the Enhanced Editions!
AerakarHurricane[Deleted User]ThacoBellsarevok57elminstersemiticgoddesstbone1NonnahswriterBalrog99MirandelJuliusBorisovAlexeiPepers

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Countries have birthdays now? Does that make Alaska the icing on the birthday cake?
    [Deleted User]ThacoBell
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yep, im going to spend Canada day chillin (literally) inside my central air conditioned house, it's way too hot outside
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Canada is great. Canadians are just plain good people.
    sarevok57Mirandel
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Happy Birthday, Canada! We'll forgive you for Loverboy since you also gave us Rush.

ThacoBellsarevok57
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Odd to think that Canada is "only" 150 years old...
    Balrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Thank you Canada for Dudley Do-Right, John Candy, Jim Carrey, Dan Akroyd, and Stevey Yzerman (huge Detroit Red Wings fan!).
    ThacoBell
    sarevok57 said:

yep, im going to spend Canada day chillin (literally) inside my central air conditioned house, it's way too hot outside

What's the temp there, 65? That's 18.3 Celsius if you're unfamiliar with U.S. temperature readings...
    Balrog99 said:

sarevok57 said:

What's the temp there, 65? That's 18.3 Celsius if you're unfamiliar with U.S. temperature readings...
    where I live it was 36 Celsius so I think that is around 95 F
    Yikes! I stand corrected. That's hotter than it was in Pensacola where I was vacationing last week. Where in Canada are you?
    in the Okanagan in BC, summers will hit 95 F here, its not unheard of for it to even hit 100 F here, but that is still pretty rare, 90-95 is more common, thankfully its relatively dry here, so you don't die from humidity
    Balrog99
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Balrog99 said:

Wow, talk about a stereotype. "Oh it's Canada, it must be cool there." There are plenty of areas here that can get into the 30's in the summer, it's not an unusual occurrence at all. I grew up in Southern Ontario, and sometimes with the humidity thrown in it can feel like it's in the 40's. They quite often issue humidex warnings there. We're not a nation of snow and ice, and no we don't live in igloos or get around on dog sleds.

Belanos said:

Balrog99 said:

Wow, talk about a stereotype. "Oh it's Canada, it must be cool there." There are plenty of areas here that can get into the 30's in the summer, it's not an unusual occurrence at all. I grew up in Southern Ontario, and sometimes with the humidity thrown in it can feel like it's in the 40's. They quite often issue humidex warnings there. We're not a nation of snow and ice, and no we don't live in igloos or get around on dog sleds.

Here in the US, 30's and 40's sounds like stocking cap and mittens weather. As a scientist I know better of course!
    ThacoBellsarevok57
    it was 36 in my backyard yesterday in the shade, thankfully where i live its quite dry so that crazy heat isnt so killer, plus central air, my god is central air a life saver, dont know how i survived without it before
    sarevok57 said:

it was 36 in my backyard yesterday in the shade, thankfully where i live its quite dry so that crazy heat isnt so killer, plus central air, my god is central air a life saver, dont know how i survived without it before

Lots and lots of swimming!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2017
    Saw this on Reddit today and thought it was hilarious.

(anyone from Canada should hopefully find it at least amusing)

semiticgoddessArctodusJuliusBorisov
    Balrog99 said:

Here in the US, 30's and 40's sounds like stocking cap and mittens weather. As a scientist I know better of course!

That's only because the US is about the only country in the world that still uses the Fahrenheit scale for measuring temperature. Don't you think you people should finally get with the program? It's almost an embarrassment, everybody else switched over in the 1970's. You're about 40 years behind the times.

Balrog99ThacoBellMirandel
    Belanos said:

Balrog99 said:

That's only because the US is about the only country in the world that still uses the Fahrenheit scale for measuring temperature. Don't you think you people should finally get with the program? It's almost an embarrassment, everybody else switched over in the 1970's. You're about 40 years behind the times.

I don't disagree with you. I use the Celsius scale and metric measures at work anyway so it wouldn't be hard for me. The rank and file Americans are a tougher sell. Any official switching to metrics would be looked at like a government plot to corrupt our children or something. If you don't believe me check out the public response to daylight savings time back in the day...
    DreadKhan
    Belanos said:

I have heard the British use Fahrenheit for warm weather because it makes things sound hotter but Celsius for cold because it makes things sound even colder. At least in the US we're consistent.

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    In the defense of Americans assuming Canada is pretty cold, much of it actually is pretty cold; we cower close to the southern border mostly.

Still, southern Ontario is bloody humid and hot enough to make heat stroke a real possibility.
    sarevok57
    DreadKhan said:

In the defense of Americans assuming Canada is pretty cold, much of it actually is pretty cold; we cower close to the southern border mostly.

Still, southern Ontario is bloody humid and hot enough to make heat stroke a real possibility.

I grew up in the southern Midwest next to a swamp and my grandparents lived within a mile of the Ohio River. I thought I knew humidity.

Then I moved to D.C. Did you know that, before air conditioning, people working at the British embassy in D.C. received jungle pay because summers were so hot and humid?

Balrog99sarevok57
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    To celebrate Canada's 150th, the government brought in La Machine for a whopping $3M Went today, and it was pretty epic.

The best part was the live band that was following the spider. Here is a quick collage of the event.

sarevok57ThacoBell
    tbone1 said:

Belanos said:

I have heard the British use Fahrenheit for warm weather because it makes things sound hotter but Celsius for cold because it makes things sound even colder. At least in the US we're consistent.

i heard rumors somewhere that america was thinking about switching over to the metric system sometime in the near future
    sarevok57 said:

tbone1 said:

Belanos said:

i heard rumors somewhere that america was thinking about switching over to the metric system sometime in the near future
    Maybe in another generation or two. They are teaching the metric system to my daughter in elementary school. I didn't really know anything about the metric system until chemistry class in 11th grade. I guess that's progress...
    sarevok57DreadKhansemiticgoddess
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Balrog99 said:

sarevok57 said:

tbone1 said:

Belanos said:

Maybe in another generation or two. They are teaching the metric system to my daughter in elementary school. I didn't really know anything about the metric system until chemistry class in 11th grade. I guess that's progress...
    Metric's big payoff is its simplicity, so if Americans can get past their knee-jerk resistance (Ha!), it'll be a relatively easy conversion. The other way around would be extremely difficult.
    ThacoBell
    They taught the metric system to me in the 70s. America will switch when enough politicians get bribed.
    Balrog99ThacoBellMathsorcerer
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Rumors have been going around about switching FOR YEARS. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Balrog99sarevok57
    Balrog99 said:

Any official switching to metrics would be looked at like a government plot to corrupt our children or something. If you don't believe me check out the public response to daylight savings time back in the day...

I don't doubt you on that, I can remember a great deal of opposition here in Canada when we switched over to metric years ago. I guess maybe our political leaders just have more courage than yours when dealing with unpopular measures.

Balrog99
    Well, 2 liter bottles caught on so maybe there's hope...
    ThacoBellsarevok57