Skip to content

Improved Alacrity Disappeared from Spellbook as a Sorcerer

SC_SorcSC_Sorc Member Posts: 6
Greetings! I have yet to encounter any bugs in the EE up until now, but now I find myself stumped. I am playing a sorcerer character and I am in Chapter 5 of SOA (BG2 EE). I did a completionist playthrough, so I got to above 3 million XP around the end of Chapter 4. In the original, this would be above the level cap, but in the EE they removed it for SOA and set it to the same as TOB. Thus, I took time stop as a 9th lvl spell, and improved alacrity as an HLA (which was added to my spellbook).

I just finished killing the mind flayers in the eastern tunnels. When I returned to Ust Natha, I found that improved alacrity had disappeared both from my spells to cast as well as my spellbook. I have determined this to be a result of the temporary INT drain my sorcerer suffered from a mind flayer hit or two, which created a permanent loss of Improved Alacrity by reducing the max number of spells known. This, to me, seems like a bug. Or failing that, a really frustrating and unfair game mechanic that punishes sorcerers.

I was puzzled but determined to fix the problem using EE Keeper. However, I can't find Improved Alacrity in EE Keeper in order to add it (I went through the whole list and used the search function - it's not there).

When that didn't work, I resolved to use EE Keeper to add enough xp to level up, select Improved Alacrity, then manually remove all the other changes in EE Keeper in order to return my level to what it was (Lvl 18). However, this didn't work. When I leveled up, the level-up screen displayed Improved Alacrity as having already been chosen, and could not be selected again. But of course, it was still unavailable to cast and missing from the spellbook.

I am tremendously frustrated by this. As a Sorcerer I can't fix it just by buying a scroll. I'm stuck. I don't wanna go through the game without one of my hard-earned HLAs, so I'm stuck loading my last save all the way back at the beginning of Chapter 5. I'm just posting in the hopes that someone has a fix that is less tedious. For now I'm going to switch to another game because its just too much of a hassle.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2017
    In the original, this would be above the level cap, but in the EE they removed it for SOA and set it to the same as TOB

Actually having TOB installed does this. It's not an EE addition.

As far as your issue goes there isn't much I can do without a save to look over (preferably one that has not been touched by EEKeeper). In the meantime I'd say you should enable the console, put your cursor over your character and then type in C:AddSpell("spwi921") then hit enter. See whether that addresses it.

That all said intelligence drain won't remove spells from your spellbook. The intelligence thing also only applies to mages and bards anyways.

Post edited by elminster on
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    Could it be an attack by a Nishruu, that has caused this? The drow party in the middle of the underdark map are very fond of that spell.

The spell summon Nishruu says in its description, that the Nishruu will remove the most powerfull spells. I dont know if it can remove a sorcerers spell though..
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    I just tested it in version 1.3. The nishruu can remove spells from a sorcerer, but they will still be in your spell book. So when resting your spells will be reinstated. So if you have already rested, then the nishruu isnt the problem...
  • SC_SorcSC_Sorc Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2017
    Hi, thanks for your reply @elminster ! I realize that intelligence drain shouldn't affect the spellbook or have permanent effects. Its just that its the only hypothesis I can come up with for why all my Quicksaves in or after the mind flayer lair have the bug, but my Chapter 5 Start save does not. I don't think its the Nishruu, I remember taking hits from them elsewhere and not having the bug. I appreciate the suggestion though. If its not caused by the mind flayer attack that worries me, because then it might be harder to avoid it happening again. Regardless, I've attached the save I have. Unfortunately I started playing this morning and didn't keep a quick save that hasn't been touched by EEKeeper, my apologies. This is a file saved using EEKeeper, but I checked and I actually hadn't attempted my 'fix' yet (increasing xp to lvl up). I think I just hit save in EEKeeper not knowing what to do. I hope it is still useful to you. I would very much appreciate hearing your thoughts on what's going on.
    edited August 2017
    @createaccount Yes, I rested, but only improved alacrity is gone. Doesn't appear in the spell tab or spell book. I still have all the uses of time stop appropriate to my level (3 castings of 9th level spells). I appreciate your effort to investigate!
    Also @elminster, I tried the console command, does not seem to do anything. I haven't been using the console much, so just to be clear, if the command was entered correctly, you should just see the same thing you entered in appear in the text box, right? When I entered it in, it just read C:AddSpell("spwi921"), no error message. Regardless, it made no change to my file in any way.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited August 2017
    It will display: "The Party Has Gained Experience: 9000" when it works, sometimes takes a couple tries, make sure the cursor is over the character (avatar, not portrait) when pressing enter.
    Console command worked for me (you need to put your cursor over the character in question for it to work). Hopefully you should be able to use this save while I look into the issue further.
    edited August 2017
    You running any mods? (check your override folder anyways to make sure)

I tried using a Nishruu (which uses the same weapon as a Hakeashar) and that didn't do anything. Same with a mind flayer.
    edited August 2017
    @elminster Ah, I am a noob with the console. I wasn't putting the cursor on the avatar. Now it works! Thanks to everyone for the help. Regarding the cause, I have figured it out. It's caused by EEKeeper itself.

I should have thought of it sooner. EEKeeper seems to have an incomplete database of items/spells in the game. Ive been using it throughout the game to do some mild cheating (adjusting my reputation to avoid Viconia leaving). Often it would prompt me that certain items were not in the database, and that if I saved the file using EEKeeper the items would not be saved. This I ultimately found out was not true, I saved and then loaded the game and my inventory was unchanged with no errors.

I didn't notice, but I checked and it showed a similar prompt warning me that a spell was not found in the database: spwi921. In this case, a newly-created edited file will permanently remove Improved Alacrity from your character. In this case, it must have happened when I adjusted my reputation in EE Keeper after freeing the slaves in the mind flayer lair. In retrospect, I should have figured it out. It's just that EEKeeper hadn't caused any problems up until now. In my experience thus far, it seems to be the only one missing. Still, they should probably correct the fact that their application is missing one of the best HLAs in the game.

Thanks to everyone for your help! I really appreciate it.
    edited August 2017
    Improved Alacrity is listed under level 9 spells in EEKeeper.

edited August 2017
    @elminster I am using version 1.0.3.6. It seems to be missing for sure because I used the search feature for the name and resource. I thought it was the latest version but guess I was wrong. Guess it was all my bad then, hilarious! :sweat:
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    I doubt if the problem is the EE Keeper version - I just checked on my 1.0.3.2 installation that improved alacrity is present. When you open EE Keeper it should anyway catalogue all the resources available in your particular installation - you might want to double check that you do have EE Keeper pointing to the folder with the installation you're currently playing with.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    + you could use a console command to set reputation if that helps. Example
    C:Eval('ReputationSet(16)')
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Another alternative to keep Viconia would be to kick her out yourself as soon as you get a reputation increase up to 19 - that boosts reputation to 20. Then immediately re-recruit her - pushing reputation back down to 18 to ensure she won't leave of her own accord.