Skip to content

Just need a bit of help!

Hey everyone, hope you're doing well.

Just looking for a bit of advice about missions in BG2: EE. I used to play the original back in the day and seemed to have no issues. Now I'm replaying the new version and just can't seem to stay alive. I did the D'Arnise hold pretty ok, but got absolutely screwed on Haer'Dalis' mission and the Planar Sphere? Is it recommended to do these later because the game seems to promote that you can do them pretty early on.

FYI, I'm playing as an elven sorcerer. Once again thanks for the help and I'm aware I'm probably just not as good at the game as I think I am haha, but it does seem to be incredibly more difficult than last time.

So what am I doing wrong?

Cheers, have a great day.

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    As the easiest thing to do, you can check the difficulty setting in gameplay options. You get the same choices when you create a new protagonist and start the game. You can change the setting any time in game.
  • Batdragon123Batdragon123 Member Posts: 13
    Hi, I'm playing it on normal/core rules. I played BG1 fine on these difficulties. But I feel like I'm having to always resort to 'story mode' to just bypass some battles, which i kind of don't want to do.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    BG2's difficulty curve is a bit different than BG1's. Even for smaller fights, its expected to make better use of your myriad abilities to overcome (and with the much greater list of options BG2 gives, this makes it more complicated). The Planar Sphere IS pretty difficult for a lower party though, it can help to come back to it. It is worth noting that any non-dragon, non-lich fight is feasibly doable out the gate, but some encounters will be more difficult until you learn or re-learn the necessary tactics.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited August 2017

Hi, I'm playing it on normal/core rules. I played BG1 fine on these difficulties. But I feel like I'm having to always resort to 'story mode' to just bypass some battles, which i kind of don't want to do.

The various quests you have in chapter 2 of BG2 are not all on the same difficulty level even if they are more or less all available early. Kangaxx or Firkraag are on another level than shadow thieves or Nalia's castle. You need the experience of some to get the level and equipment for the others. Still, there is no fixed sequence or dependency. This way you are free to decide how you go about.
    BG1 was different, since difficulty grew as you grew through the chapters.
    As with many things in the games, it comes far more natural if you play the game parts in sequence and *grow* with it, rather than to take them part by part.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    The Planar Prison is a rather hard quest indeed, if only because once started you HAVE to complete it, while most other quests can be interrupted at any point if they are too hard. It should be one of the last quests you do in chapter 2-3. Prior to Kangaxx, Firkraag or Twisted Rune, but after all the simple quests (Most NPC quests or stronghold quests fit in this category).
  • Batdragon123Batdragon123 Member Posts: 13
    Ok thanks guys, great advice, I take things a little more steady and complete some smaller quests.

Cheers!
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    It's not you, it's the game.
    Those quests are hard but it's part of "the game" to find that out and try them later.

I'd suggest the Copper Coronet slavers as an early quest and then going to Trademeet. Good equipment and lots of gold on those as well.

Personally I find D'Arniss Keep tricky even nowadays (too many things hitting too hard) so you can't be doing too badly.
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112
    The difficulty of the missions depends on who you are keeping in your team.
    If you are using a cleric charname, then the sewers first; D'arnise if you are keeping enough fighters around(who doesn't require sleep after every couple of fireballs); Dragons as soon as you have enough skull traps(and a sequencer to hold them), etc.
    But Haer'Dalis' mission should always be one the last...
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Do try to start with the Slavers and Copper Coronet back rooms if possible, then you should buy gear relevant to what you plan to do next... ie the shield of balduran for the sewers, daystar before the ranger quest, etc.

Planar Prison is rougher than some, but lowering the difficulty might be a good call if you're going to stall there, as its impossible to interrupt. What part is holding you up?
  • ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2017
    While Sorcerer is extremely powerful, it won't hurt to also have a strong fighter up front like Half Orc Beserker Dual Wielding or 1H + Shield. They can soak up a lot of damage for you while your sorcerer is in the back pummeling them with range weap and spells. Dwarf Fighter/Cleric or Dwarven Defender is also a really good tank.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Planar prison is easy. Relatively. Just save before you enter it and you can rest inside and outside of prison. Done numerous times relatively early. Actually, there is no rush to save Haer'Dalis. When he gets kidnapped, feel free to rest then enter.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Also, planar prison is easier with some kiting (aren't everything really?). The old classic way of tiptoeing ahead until you see a single enemy or two and then bite and kite them or AoE from outside their PoV works for large portions of the planar sphere's upper parts.
    Down in the weird meat pits you can always send in a guy or two, do some damage, then exit, breathe, heal and then go down again. Most definitely avoid going down with half your team into a githyanki meat trap and have half of the team being swarmed by enemies above so that you have to try and gather your team whilst running around being mobbed.

Btw, are you playing a sorc with a party or soloing as sorc?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317

The entering fight is very tricky when you are still learning the game

I agree with that. One way to make fights generally much simpler though is to approach them with everyone in stealth or invisible and that's certainly the case with the entrance fight here. If you're buffed and invisible when you enter you can kill the bounty hunter mage pretty easily while he's casting true sight and the rest are then not too much trouble. As was noted above you can rest without restrictions in the prison and more use of invisibility will continue to help as you work through the various groups (though you still need to be on your toes for enemies that see through invisibility :)).
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417

Cvijeta said:

Planar prison is easy. Relatively. Just save before you enter it and you can rest inside and outside of prison. Done numerous times relatively early. Actually, there is no rush to save Haer'Dalis. When he gets kidnapped, feel free to rest then enter.

I don't agree, few quests are particularly "easy" if you don't know the game and have certain party setups. And it's not very encouraging to call them "easy" when somebody starts a thread asking for help because they are finding them hard.

The entering fight is very tricky when you are still learning the game, which it's meant to be to give you the idea that perhaps you should come back later. But it's not made clear in BG2 that that's the "correct" thing to do, (come back later), because everybody is nagging you to help them.
    It's still relatively easy..
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112
    DreadKhan said:

Tests are pretty easy when you've got solutions memorized. ;)

Or at least when you have learned the subject. :P