Skip to content

IWD2 Party Questions

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
Hello~!

So IWD2 is the last infinity game engine I have yet to play. Seeing as an IWD2:EE is either far off or never happening I figure I'll go ahead and give it a run through since I finished my recent Pillars of Eternity run.

My plan is

Half-Elf Bard
Rock Gnome Bard
Strongheart Halfling Rogue/Wizard (more for RP than optimization)
Gold Dwarf Cleric of Tempus
Drow Wizard (Necromancer)
Wild Elf Ranger

Could I complete the game with such a party?

Also, I already installed the widescreen mod and a UI mod to make it so there isn't a black box on the bottom right. I heard thought the widescreen mod can cause a crash at a certain point, is this still true?

And lastly, is there an EEKeeper for IWD2? Like to edit character models specifically. I'm using a Kobold Portrait for my Halfling and if I could would like to give her a Kobold model as well.

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2017
    There are reports of a bug in Fell Wood that can result in the game freezing when using the Widescreen mod. See section 5.2 of this installation guide:

https://zeckul.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/icewind-dale-2-ultimate-installation-guide/

See also:
    https://www.gog.com/forum/icewind_dale_series/cannot_leave_fell_wood
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16904

I don't see it reported as fixed in the Widescreen mod readme (and the GOG bug report is from this year).
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Alright, so I suppose the solution would be lower the resolution back down, complete that part, and then raise it again?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You can complete the game with any party, if you don't die of boredom first...
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I would use some kind of front line warrior though, unless you intend to use the ranger for that.
    Dwarf Cleric of Tempus can front-line.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Fardragon said:

Strictly untrue in 3rd ed. You can really build a bad party in this game unintentionally, let alone deliberately.

A two-handed weapon fighter w/high strength as possible is a real asset. Maybe lose a bard for a half-orc Barbarian X/fighter 4?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DreadKhan I duuno, I'd personally keep both Bards. Bardsong stacking is ridiculous in this game.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    I used a half orc barbarian / priest for frontline. Spells like blade barrier and armor of faith stacks well with lots of hit points.

My party leader was a drow bard / druid. This allows for high int (used in some conversations, if I remember right), wisdom (again conversation) and charisma (again conversation), so that this character could tackle most conversations (being a drow and being able to read lots of goblin messages and such also helps with that). Bard standing back and singing or spamming bard or druid aid spells helps the fighters of the party. In a pinch, shapeshift transforms this otherwise physically weak bard to a fairly decent fighter.
    DreadKhan said:

Fardragon said:

Strictly untrue in 3rd ed. You can really build a bad party in this game unintentionally, let alone deliberately.

A two-handed weapon fighter w/high strength as possible is a real asset. Maybe lose a bard for a half-orc Barbarian X/fighter 4?
    I suspect you play on higher than standard difficulty settings.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Fardragon said:

DreadKhan said:

Fardragon said:

I suspect you play on higher than standard difficulty settings.
    Its not like IWD2 has story mode, and the AI can be pretty effective right out of the box.

Either way, just try running a high ECL party with bad multiclass choices to get a big xp penalty. And take only skill based fests.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Two bards? Yes, that party can beat the game. Stacking songs is quite effective.

Use the Lingering Song feat with Tymora's Melody after you hit level 5 and your party will have a strong edge both offensively and defensively. The luck bonuses work especially well with spears, axes, halberds, hammers, and bows, which deal triple damage on critical hits (luck in IWD2 increases the chance of critical hits).

I wouldn't take two wizards, though. Wizards are good, but like IWD, IWD2 is very short on mage scrolls. Sorcerers tend to be much more user-friendly to play.
    Yeah, scroll shortage is true, I had forgotten that.
    Alright /nods, I may just go pure rogue and use Use Magic Device or do Rogue/Sorc

I'm very familiar with the 3.X Ruleset so I know without prestige classes that multiclass casters can be underwhelming. I mean even with prestige classes they are <_< >_>
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Vallmyr said:

Alright /nods, I may just go pure rogue and use Use Magic Device or do Rogue/Sorc

I'm very familiar with the 3.X Ruleset so I know without prestige classes that multiclass casters can be underwhelming. I mean even with prestige classes they are <_< >_>

Most pure chars benefit from a single starting level in rogue (for lots of lvl1 skillpoints) or warrior (for access to weapons). Depending on your play style, of course. Elf sorcerer with 4 lvl warrior gives longbows with some extra weapons bonus, cant remember exactly. So, whenever you run out of spells you turn to the longbow. Of course, if you run home to mommy every time you stub your toe, spells per day wont be an issue, but if you like me rest only when it makes RP sense, it is not a bad tradeoff at all. You will want 1 lvl warrior, then 5, i think, in sorcerer for fireball, then 3 in warrior for longbow bonus and the rest in sorcerer. Constant longbow support definitely compensates for slightly slower sorc spell gain (unless, of course, you spam the rest button).
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Vallmyr said:

Hello~!

So IWD2 is the last infinity game engine I have yet to play. Seeing as an IWD2:EE is either far off or never happening I figure I'll go ahead and give it a run through since I finished my recent Pillars of Eternity run.

My plan is

Half-Elf Bard
    Rock Gnome Bard
    Wild Elf Ranger

Also, I already installed the widescreen mod and a UI mod to make it so there isn't a black box on the bottom right. I heard thought the widescreen mod can cause a crash at a certain point, is this still true?

And lastly, is there an EEKeeper for IWD2? Like to edit character models specifically. I'm using a Kobold Portrait for my Halfling and if I could would like to give her a Kobold model as well.

Yeah, I don't see any problems with your party. Why are there two bards? Take one out and put something really unique there! Like a drow or an aasimar, plus the sorcerer voice is of KRATOS when you're picking your character's voices! :D

You know what IWD:II really needs, those new priest kits.
    I have two bards since this party is comprised of my favorite RP characters and it just so happens that two of them are bards.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    edited August 2017
    Vallmyr said:

Hello~!

My plan is

Half-Elf Bard
    Rock Gnome Bard
    Wild Elf Ranger

You are missing one warriors and have two mages extra. If you need to have two bards, drop two wizards. Or have wizard and bard, and druid and warrior, without the rock gnome and drow.