Skip to content

Should I get this?

Hi Everyone,

Just wandering if I should get Siege of Dragonspear (may sound like a funny thing to post in the siege of dragonspear forum I know!). Its just by all accounts i've heard mixed things. Just wandering what its really like?

Also is the Shaman class worth a try?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• Batdragon123Batdragon123 Member Posts: 13
    Okay, thanks guys, I'll look into it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    SoD is okay, kinda like ToB of BG1 in sense of linearity, but not as obsessed with combat. Main quest may not the BG1 or BG2 quality, but that drop is easily lost with all the goodies that come with expansion. I don't regret buying it.
    batoorJuliusBorisov
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    I am an old school fan and I like it. It has it's ups and downs but overall I would rather include it in my run of the games than leave it out. In fact, I look forward to it while I am playing the first game. The sound, story, characters and gameplay are all good and the graphics see a nice boost compared to the first game that you are importing from. With the difficulty cranked it can be a nice challenge and an overall rewarding experience.
    ShikaobatoorJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I don't like it at all. I wish I did.

That said, you should definitely play it at least once or twice.
    And by buying it support the makers which is important IMO.

It's not a waste of time by any means even if you decide it's not for you in the long run. You will enjoy it.
    JuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteen
  • Batdragon123Batdragon123 Member Posts: 13
    Ok thanks again guys, I'll look into getting it.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    SoD is the ginger hair kid of the series.
    Raduziel
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Wesboi said:

Come now, we all know thats IWD2.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    Wesboi said:

Yes, unique and awesome.

ThacoBellShikaotbone1Queegon
  • FoxterFoxter Member Posts: 20
    You should buy but after the next patch comes up. Until then you should wait.

I played the initial SoD release (non patched) until the coalition camp and I found it OK story wise.

However the bugs from that version stopped me from continuing the game. I will play it again after all the remaining bugs are solved.
  • ZeshinXZeshinX Member Posts: 88
    Definitely worth the money. It doesn't compare in overall "feel" (meaning you know this was never originally part of the saga as you play through this portion), but that's to be expected.

It has good moments, bad moments, excellent moments and truly terrible moments, but overall and most importantly, it's fun to play.

I don't care much for the new NPCs. Not because they're bad (they aren't), I just didn't care for them much in that "Meh" kind of way (I'd rather have continued to use un-voiced original BG party members).

I have one massive negative about SoD though. The end-game boss encounter (the climax, not the epilogue). It was mechanically atrociously implemented. One, single, enormous rules oversight ruined the entire encounter for me (from a mechanical stance). Story-line wise I absolutely loved it.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I played it through and found no significant bugs. There were minor things that were annoying(for instance missing out on one of glint's relatives because doing his quest caused him to disappear suddenly), but nothing too major.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JacobJacob Member Posts: 9
    Well @Batdragon123 , *I* think so. But I'm very biased.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellNimranOrlonKronsteen
  • BrutaleBentBrutaleBent Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2017
    @Batdragon123 Recently bought it, and just finished it - was great! Definetly a worthy addition to a great series! ;)

READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL! THERE BE SPOILERS/FORESHADOWING!

If anything though, there's gonna be some things missing/unresolved when you get into BG2:EE, as, afaik, any continuity, mainly characters and events, are not added to have any effect/resolving in BG2.