Skip to content

How do you RP Lawful Neutral?

Pretty much the good and bad alignments write themselves. But Lawful Neutral? Hm. I always play a good character but recently revisited with a Solo Sorcerer (First time with Insane SCS, love the tactical challenge) of Lawful Neutral alignment. Apart from loving order and discipline, what motivates them?

Comments

• Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Sounds good to me. The legitimate thing especially, I was thinking the Iron Throne are organized and such, but I can't not oppose them right ^^
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Ha, exactly, it's a tricky situation but seeing as Scar asks you to investigate them I think that is juuuuust about enough justification for a LN character to think that perhaps the Iron Throne is acting in opposition to the good of the realm and thus are to be treated as rebellious swine.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Like the others have said, a lot of LN is open to whatever you deem your character's particular morals to be. And that's more flexible than you may realize - for instance, as a Sorcerer you'd want to do the Planar Sphere quest and get your Stronghold, and I'd argue that you can. You would just have to justify it by virtue of Tolgerias' dishonesty having voided your contract. It's shaky, but good enough to fly with if you want to, so that you can help Valygar escape an unjust fate.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Thanks all. Just murdered Prism, just would not come quietly. :[
    Onwards and upwards.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    atcDave said:

I would admit LN is a tough to get a handle on. But as a government employee I've certainly known people who are so wrapped up in rules amd bureaucracy that they become more important than the actual "mission". Specifically, air traffic controllers (especially supervisors) who are more concerned about the letter of the law than they actually are with the welfare of the flying public. I find this comical and maddening. It's almost worse than the person who just tries to manipulate every rule for their own selfish interests; it's making the rules themselves more important than either the good or the bad of them.
    That's how I see LN.

Very good post - not only as it pertains to the game, but probably life in general as well.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    An alterantive take would someone who has OCD or similar personality that makes them obsessively rule following.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Just be a commoner... Most of them are LN, right?
  • frede957frede957 Member Posts: 7
    Well a good exampel is a Thief from the Shadow Thiefs, a LN from those guilds his loyalty is proberly put in
    his/hers guild instead of Amn.
    While a LW soldier of Amn will try to fight and put these Thief to Justic
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    LN seems fairly straightforward to me. Trust the law, and trust those that are lawfully in charge to uphold the law. Laws exist for a reason, and those who violate the law without regard for the consequences are a danger. Anything unlawful is bad for society, because society creates the laws it needs. Unjust laws should be changed from within the system, since then the replacements will best suit society.

If you play with that mindset, it should make sense. Problem is that I'm fundamentally good and lean chaotic, so I'm in opposition to LN.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Lawful neutral is character of judge - he is ruler and he has to obey order - but also be objective.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Hmm, I think I might be out of step here.

The above ^^^ discriptions wouldn't be anywhere near my interpretation. They sound more like "lawful lawful" or "neutral lawful"

The character is neutral, the lawful bit is the adjective.

I'd read it as not having much of a stake in good/evil but content to follow the law.
    Why do thy have to have such a stick up their posterior?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @UnderstandMouseMagic I had to double take that I actually share an RP interpretation with you :smiley:
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    The same way I RP everything else, Pinkie. Try to take over the world!
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The only time I play LN is when I want a ferret. I let the ferret do my dirty work...

"Come on you rascal, cough up those ankheg shells!"
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    edited August 2017
    Post edited by GreenWarlock on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    A lawful character (of any flavour) will instinctively obey a "keep off the grass" sign.

A chaotic character will jump on the grass (good place for a pit trap).

A neutral character will stand there for 20 minutes trying to decide if it is worth the risk of getting caught to take a short cut across the grass that will save 5 minutes journey time.

Note that a character can have an alignment, without being at the extreme end of an alignment. Slightly more likely to obey a law than break it is enough to make a character lawful rather than chaotic.

And there is no particular reason why a character's alignment should be their main motivation. People do things for reasons other than morality and philosophy.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    A truly chaotic character will obey the sign just to mess with you, if they know you put the sign out for their benefit ;)
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

A truly chaotic character will obey the sign just to mess with you, if they know you put the sign out for their benefit ;)

Or they would change the sign to say "Keep On The Grass."
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    ThacoBell said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic I had to double take that I actually share an RP interpretation with you :smiley:

You Will Learn... :p
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Thread-necro FTW :)

For me LN is about following the law you abide too, this does not mean laws others like. This means that if a character is LN and just a commoner they will probably see the laws of the city as just and follow them to the letter. They might even join the militia and uphold them vigorously. But they can equally well join a trading company that has other codes (profit ûber alles?) that break the city laws. So if some other order or group scoops them up and get them to prefer those codes or laws over the city laws, they will instead follow those. I think it would be very hard to play a character who believe ALL laws are absolute and that always strive for upholding them, even laws that should go against other laws they also want to follow, ie; You should not kill, it's against the law! You must kill all thieves, it's the law!

Also for me, in my headcanon, Paladins are better portraied as LN and not LG. They have codes that transcend other laws in cities and states and they will follow their own code no matter the action, meaning killing whatever and whomever they perceive as enemies no matter what. Like Keldorn killing Viccy. There's nothing good in that, but there's plenty of law-abiding and neutrality there.

I've played LN and when I do it's always characters who are in some kind of order or military branch, maybe they've just read about paladins in books and are fiercely into upholding their creed or similar. Same with monks.

I also disregard alignment restrictions I don't like and change them as I see fit myself, so I don't claim to be aligned to the "true" interpretation of alignments. This is all IMHO.