Skip to content

Eclipse!

Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
I don't usually start conversations myself but I'm getting a headache thinking about politics right now.

My parents live in Crossville, TN right in the middle of the total eclipse zone on Monday. From everything I've heard, witnessing a total eclipse is pretty awesome. If the weather holds it should be pretty spectacular! I'll be on a pontoon boat in the middle of a lake if everything goes according to plan.

I was wondering if any of my fellow forumites have plans to experience this once in a lifetime event..
gnaumiectbone1ShikaoAstroBryGuyZaghoulThacoBellNonnahswriter

Comments

• gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    We'll have a 90% eclipse in Little Rock, AR (1:18 PM CST I believe). Should be a pretty spectacular sight!
    Balrog99tbone1
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2017
    There probably won't be any Russians on the lake in Tennessee so no worries!
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Balrog99 said:

There probably won't be any Russians on the lake in Tennessee so no worries!

In it, maybe.
    Balrog99
    Not in Tennessee. Too far from the coast...
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2017
    I'll be in southern Illinois, near the point of greatest duration.

Ozzy Osbourne is playing a festival called Moonstock nearby. He is supposed to play Bark at the Moon during totality. :tongue:

Ozzy Osbourne is playing a festival called Moonstock nearby. He is supposed to play Bark at the Moon during totality. :tongue:

That is awesome. I love Ozzie!
    Good luck on the weather...
    AstroBryGuy
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Pity it won't be visible at all in this part of Europe =[
    Fly to Nashville. I'm sure there's room on my folks' pontoon boat!
    If you can't see the eclipse where you are, NASA is broadcasting it live!

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive
    Balrog99tbone1ThacoBellNonnahswriter

If you can't see the eclipse where you are, NASA is broadcasting it live!

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

Not quite the same though as I understand. There are people that follow these things religiously once they've experienced them.
    gnaumiec said:

We'll have a 90% eclipse in Little Rock, AR (1:18 PM CST I believe). Should be a pretty spectacular sight!

It will. Be sure to have proper eyewear, or make a pinhole viewer!

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety
    Balrog99
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited August 2017
    Balrog99 said:

I was wondering if any of my fellow forumites have plans to experience this once in a lifetime event..

Actually there's like a dozen solar eclipses in the next 6 years or so. Although to be fair, a number of them will be over the Pacific ocean, or Antarctica.

It's more of having to get into the path of where the eclipse will be.

Here in Texas, there's one in 2024 I might have to move only a little ways to see instead of 800 miles north during the school semester.
    Balrog99
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Were getting totality up here in wilds of Transylvania Co. NC. NASA is even returning in force to the satellite tracking station they built here in the 60's, now a privately funded astronomical research institute (PARI). Shoot, I think folks are coming from overseas even.
    I believe one of the high altitude balloon teams is doing a release there as well on the same day.

The moon's goin 'full monty' here at 2:36pm for 1min. 47sec.
    Balrog99AstroBryGuy
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I'm in one of the 95% areas; I'm actually getting off work right as it all starts so whether or not I want to see it, I get to see it.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    0% visibility over here in Eurasia. Most of us non-Americans have to suffice with the nasa live streams. Although some places like the Canary Islands will be able to witness an ever so slightly partial eclipse. Nothing worthy of mentioning though.

Ah well, next European total eclipse entry will be in 12.08.2026 for Portugal, Spain and South France. Germany on the other hand has to wait all way up until 03.09.2081 for its next total eclipse. *le sigh*
    Shikao

Balrog99 said:

Actually there's like a dozen solar eclipses in the next 6 years or so. Although to be fair, a number of them will be over the Pacific ocean, or Antarctica.

It's more of having to get into the path of where the eclipse will be.

Here in Texas, there's one in 2024 I might have to move only a little ways to see instead of 800 miles north during the school semester.
    Only a few of the solar eclipses over the next 6 years are total solar eclipses (e.g., all the solar eclipses in 2018 are partial eclipses). And totality is an awesome experience, very different than seeing a partial or annular solar eclipse. A total solar eclipse occurs about every 18 months (on average), but the path of totality is narrow ~100 miles wide. So, only a small swath of the Earth gets to see totality each time.

The average time between total solar eclipses being visible at any particular location on Earth is about 375 years.
    ShikaoBalrog99
    PARI will have a live stream here at least for those not traveling.
    Not sure what you other guys are seeing but,
    Lawdy, lawdy, lawdy. People are going buckwild here in the mountains. B)
    Some of the things I hear, right here:
    *Schools are closing on Monday.
    *Emergency Management was putting up big flashing signs on our one curvy lil road E-W through this area, not fast on a good day. "Eclipse, expect delays".
    *Ppl are getting up to 25k for a four day rental of there homes in places near here.
    *The gym is closing Monday at 5pm, AFTER the eclipse. ???
    *Emergency personnel are expecting an influx, in this remote area alone. of 100k ppl in 2 counties that don't number anywhere near that many people alone, even during 'leaf peeper' season coming up in Oct.
    *Blue Moon beer and SunChips are being trucked in on mass.

*This is the best one though, while I was stocking up on regular stuff at the grocery store I overheard the suppliers asking employees how many Moon Pies they needed on hand. :p
    ( I WAS gettin my bread n milk, heh, ;) but because no way am I going out in that mess.)

Balrog99ronaldoThacoBell
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've never seen a solar eclipse, even a partial one. I hope it's as special as I hear.

Probably had plenty of lunar eclipses in my life, but who cares about those?
    Balrog99Zaghoultbone1
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2017
    Apparently where I live in Canada (Toronto) I'm only getting like 70% of an eclipse. I don't have eclipse glasses and just finding them has gotten kind of insane. So I think I'm sitting this one out. Thankfully in 2024 there is one that has its path of totality traveling within a few hours drive of where I live.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    elminster said:

Apparently where I live in Canada (Toronto) I'm only getting like 70% of an eclipse. I don't have eclipse glasses and just finding them has gotten kind of insane. So I think I'm sitting this one out. Thankfully in 2024 there is one that has its path of totality traveling within a few hours drive of where I live.

There are other ways to enjoy an eclipse than merely watching it. Like, for instance, totality eclipse sun bathing! And all while being blindfolded! That's an experience only a selecteed few can boast with I can assure you. :)
    elminstertbone1Balrog99
    elminster said:

Make a pinhole viewer!

http://eclipse.illinois.edu/pinhole.html

Yeah 2024 goes right over the Falls. :smile:
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    elminster said:

About the same here in Vegas. Plus there's a 40% chance of thunderstorms throughout the day which adds up to a darker than normal cloudy day in the desert.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    On the downside the one in 2024 is apparently in April. So it's probably going to rain then :(
    Balrog99bleusteel
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Apparently newspapers are going to reprint a very old Charlie Brown strip about a solar eclipse.

Linus is out in the rain, looking up at the cloudy sky, and Lucy goes to ask him,

"So how's the eclipse?"
    tbone1ThacoBellbleusteelBalrog99
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You feel an eclipse, even if it is cloudy, or you're blindfolded. The temperature drops precipitously, and the birds go quiet.
    semiticgoddesstbone1Balrog99ThacoBell
    Mostly sunny here in Tennessee. Should be great for eclipse viewing!

Hope everybody else's luck holds...
    ZaghoulThacoBell
    Hopefully, if not, I worry some folks here across the border from ya are gonna be tearin their shirts off and stompin on their MoonPies from frustration. It certainly is the 'time of the gatherin'.
    I just knew that my idea of building a stone circle on top of the mountain might not be such a bad idea after all. B)
    Balrog99ThacoBell
    Ten days with sunny weather and NOW we get clouds
    So, maple leaves can make a really good series of pinhole cameras.

ThacoBellNonnahswriter