Skip to content

modmerge: merge your Steam/GOG zip based DLC into something Weidu/NearInfinity/DLTCEP can use.

Comments

• SirRonnocSirRonnoc Member Posts: 2
    When extracting the mac osx version I simply get a .txt document but no .exe. I'm not really sure what to do or if I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @SirRonnoc - It's not a text file, it's a binary file, but the executable flag isn't properly set.

I set the executable bit and added a .command file to set the working directory. Copy the modmerge-osx binary and modmerge-osx.command file into the game folder and double-click the modmerge-osx.command file to run modmerge.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SereverusSereverus Member Posts: 70
    i have issues runnign the executable on Linux, even with Wine, which i'm not too surprised by, it gets about halfway through extracting the files, then just stops, and hangs there
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

I've found a bug in CHARSND.2DA after modmerge is run, but since I don't know how exactly it's generated, I'm not sure whether it's a problem in modmerge or in the DLC data itself. So, here's what it is, and I'll let you guys figure out where the problem lies. :smiley:

After running modmerge from a fresh Steam install of BGEE, in CHARSND.2DA, column MALE8, rows 8 and 20, the sound ID for both is 68739. Row 8 should actually be 68738. Even updating this with NI, though, I then get the right sound for boredom, but not the right text, which is still the severely wounded text. Not sure how to fix that.

That's not a bug in modmerge. But it is definitely a bug.
  • babyglockbabyglock Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, long-time player first-time mod user here. I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff ...

I've converted modmerge to an exe. and placed it alongside the chitin.key however I get the "no such file or directory" error message when I try to run it in Terminal, I'm guessing this is because chitin.key is listed as a Keynote file.
    How can I change it to something modmerge will recognise?
    Thanks in advance, can't wait to get stuck into some of these mods!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'll tag @ScottBrooks

This is not my area of expertise. But why are you converting it to an exe on a mac? Does the mac file found here not work for you?

https://github.com/ScottBrooks/modmerge/releases

This ^^^^ is what I get after downloading modmerge for OSX, the file on the right is what I get after extracting the zip.
    edited August 2017
    So, following Scott's advice to another Mac user in that thread:

On a mac: After you have copied modmerge beside your chitin.key file, start terminal.app
    type the following.
    cd "Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" chmod +x modmerge ./modmerge

Step 1 changes your current directory to where steam has downloaded things. Unless you've changed locations that's where it should go.
    Step 2 makes modmerge executable
    and Step 3 runs it.

I get this:

If I make that same modmerge file an exe. and run it in Terminal I get this:

I managed to disassociate the chitin.key with Keynote by opening it in Brackets (it's just a text file now) but still having the same problem, guess I am making a stupid mistake somewhere?? Thanks for your time
    edited August 2017
    Make sure when you put in these lines into Terminal

cd "Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition"
    chmod +x modmerge
    ./modmerge

that the modmerge file you downloaded is just called modmerge (and not the default modmerge-osx)
    Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisov
    That's done it. Thank you so much!
    elminster
  • KaitekKaitek Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2017
    Do I still need to use this merge step when installing EET with the BWS Tool? I have BGEE, SoD and BG2EE on Steam.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Kaitek said:

Do I still need to use this merge step when installing EET with the BWS Tool? I have BGEE, SoD and BG2EE on Steam.

I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes. I ran it before using the BWS tool and had no problems with it.
    JuliusBorisovCaradoc
    edited September 2017
    You're right Grimwald, BWS tool just told me to do it. Thanks. I assume there's no more need to link the dialog.tlk file like before. Although I'm worried some downloads with BWS won't work because apparently G3 and SHS websites are down.
    Let me know what you can't download and I'll see if I can help. Mine were downloaded within the last month using BWS so shouldn't be too out of date.
    JuliusBorisov
    Thanks for the offer but there are a bunch of mods missing so I can't install EET, I haven't been able to find a mirror site. Can't even check out a lot of the mods to decide if I even want them in my game, managed to open cached links for a few but that's about it.

I'm missing these:

BiG World Installpack
    Lucy the Wyvern
    The Minotaur and Lilacor
    Baldur's Gate Romantic Encounters
    BG1 NPC Project Music Pack
    IEP Extended Banters
    Neera Expansion for BG:EE
    Romantic Encounters
    Sword Coast Stratagems
    aTweaks
    klatu Tweaks and Fixes
    Wizard Slayer Rebalancing
    Worldmap
    edited September 2017
    There are a lot of those that I don't have anyway.
    Does anyone know the reason that G3 goes down so often?
    edited September 2017
    Apparently it happens every year which sucks, they're discussing the issue in this thread : https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66222/shsforums-and-giberling3-down#latest
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited October 2017
    I don't know whether this should be a modmerge question or a BWS question.

With regard to Modmerge and BWS, should Modmerge be applied to the initial clean install or to the installation created by BWS when you run the Independent Installation Assistant?
    Kaitek said:

Apparently it happens every year which sucks, they're discussing the issue in this thread : https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66222/shsforums-and-giberling3-down#latest

I suppose that if this is expeccted, we could ensure that we download everything just prior to it going down. Do they give advance warning of this happening?
  • jrperryjrperry Member Posts: 1
    I had to reinstall SoD - it was modded before but I was trying to fix some crashing problems. After the clean install I am trying to run the modmerge on Mac but I keep getting a fatal error from a split stack overflow. Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it? I downloaded the newest version of the modmerge, flagged it as a unix executable, and ran from the terminal but I keep getting that error. Thanks!
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    edited November 2017
    Hi @ScottBrooks @elminster

EDIT: I might be too impatient, because after i see that when I run it, it creates the chitin.key.bak file. But for the rest of the process I left it running overnight and I never get it finished (I never see sod-dlc.zip become sod-dlc.zip.disabled).
    Post edited by MonoCanalla on
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    I've recompile the binary for osx which should solve the stack split error.
    JuliusBorisov
  • compostercomposter Member Posts: 25
    ho to do this
    "Updates your chitin.key" ?
  • Lazlo_ArcadiaLazlo_Arcadia Member Posts: 73
    Guys can someone who is not a computer engineer explain to me what this is supposed to actually do, and maybe how to install it for us NON-IT guys? Yes I read the first page about how one link was the binary...but I have absolutely no idea what that is even supposed to mean.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Lazlo_Arcadia, I will try to be non-technical... If to deep, let me know and I will break down further.

If you have either the GoG or Steam version of SoD (for Windows/MacOS at least, not sure about Linux), then you are unable to mod your game by default. The SoD package is wrapped (Zipped) up and causes errors when trying to apply mods because the files are hidden to the mod.

What modmerge does is to unwrap (unzip) SoD and combine it with the BGEE game (hence the chitin.key reference on first page) allowing mods to be installed. Chitin.key is the index file (read librarian) that knows where all the resources for the game are.

As far as installing it goes, there is no real installation other than copying 'modmerge.exe' to the root (same folder where Baldur.exe and chitin.key exist) of the BGEE/SoD folder and running it.

If you don't have SoD installed or are using the Beamdog version of SoD, then don't run it! Beamdog version of SoD is already unpacked/unzipped.

Hope that helps
    Gus
    lefreutJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • fortysevenfortyseven Member Posts: 96
    Can anyone clarify if this is compatible with the 2.5 beta build? I would have expected that it isn't but gave it a try anyway now some of my strings are garbled up. Now the question I'm faced with did I make an error in my mod or was I just wrong to use modmerge while the whole patch is in beta and not supporting SoD as of yet.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    SoD as a whole is not compatible with the current 2.5 beta build. You are recommended to disable the DLC if you're installing the Beta, which makes modmerge useless altogether.
    GusindafortysevenJuliusBorisov
  • DooblahaachDooblahaach Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    Figured it out.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited June 2018
    as 2.5 is coming up i need to ask if there is a way to rebundle the dlc after using mod merge? i find when i have to update bg 1 it has to reinstall the whole game due to mod merge. i'd rather not have to deal with that this
    time.

edit: nvm turns out the steam backup feature rebundles sod.
    Post edited by megamike15 on
    Wise_Grimwald