Skip to content

Inglorious Basterd - sword

Hello there!

Would someone care to explain how the bastard sword functions in BG?

Does it count as a two-handed weapon if you're not dual wielding or carrying a shield?
What are the benefits and downfalls of the bastard sword.
Which niche does it fill?

I'd be grateful if someone could elaborate.

Comments

• ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited August 2017
    They are just another type of one-handed swords. There is little variety to them, in particular in BG1. BG2 is not much better, hence their low popularity.
    However ToB introduces two interesting choices Purifier (a nice alternative for Paladin, in particular if you are tired of running Paladins with two-handers) and Foebane - both are found in Watcher's Keep
    Artonadarko1beamdogJuliusBorisov
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @karl_maulder, I am at work right now so I can't check in game, but wiki says bastard swords do 2D4 damage and some other forum posts also mentions 2D4. Are you sure it's 1D10?
    karl_maulderJuliusBorisov
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2017
    @Shikao I stand corrected. It seems that the damage HD changed from a 2D4 to a 1D10 in the later D&D editions (3rd, 4th and 5th ed).
    JDow
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Shikao said:

They are just another type of one-handed swords. There is little variety to them, in particular in BG1. BG2 is not much better, hence their low popularity.
    However ToB introduces two interesting choices Purifier (a nice alternative for Paladin, in particular if you are tired of running Paladins with two-handers) and Foebane - both are found in Watcher's Keep

My first character was a paladin who dual wielded bastard swords (well in BG1 it was sword and shield). Jhor the Bleeder and the Searing Blade. Then when TOB was released, Purifier and Foebane. So while there aren't a lot of options, the ones you have are pretty good. You just need to take an early trip through Watcher's Keep, or hold out for the Underdark. Theres Albruin in the Underdark too. And Kondar if you deal with some slavers.

Anyways, my point is that they are the best weapon for collecting nazi scalps.
    Shikao
  • darko1beamdogdarko1beamdog Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2017
    @MERLANCE - hehe

@ - everyone
    I thought they a hybrid between a long sword and a two-hander, in terms of game mechanics.
    A slow 1-hander for when a shield is needed to help against projectile weapons, or a lighter/faster 2-hander when you want the extra bit of damage.

'Tis a shame.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Yeah BG/DnD is weird that way, they didn't really do their homework when creating the weapon categories and their respective usages and damages. Longswords which are shorter and less damaging than bastard swords, twohanded swords that are most definately longswords, katanas wielded onehanded etc etc..
    Artonadarko1beamdogAerakar
  • darko1beamdogdarko1beamdog Member Posts: 31
    @Skatan - Yeah, that's a complete mess.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Daevelon said:

In BG, magic bastard swords are much more uncommon compared to other weapons. There is a +1 sword at the Feldpost Inn

I think it's in "Thunderhammer Smithy" shop, inside a locked chest. Very easy to obtain in the beginning, it's just needed to go inside the shop during the night, otherwise the guards will annoy you
    I love being able to steal it and then sell it back to Thunderhammer. Makes up for the fact he charges me a "a wee bit more" than his competition for everything else.
    LoldrupSkatandarko1beamdogBalrog99

Do you people have any idea how many years it took for me to realise that you could steal from Thunderhammers Smithy at night?

I usually play as a thief and I have often wandered in there hoping to sell stuff and found it was already "closed" for the day. And then go and rest waiting for it to open the next day.

And not once, until literally a few months ago, did I think to steal anything or open the chests.

Talk about a proper "well duh, am I stupid" moment.
    Embarrassing. :(

You should be proud: you are the only Lawful Good thief in the Forgotten Realms.
    tbone1profanitywarningStummvonBordwehrdarko1beamdog
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Permidion_Stark

Don't say that, I'll never live it down. :o

I think the main reason was because I get quite engrossed in the game and always thought "somebody" would know. Kind of FR ancient, perhaps magical, CCTV. Perhaps it was because it was so obvious, it therefore looked very suspicious?

I do remember (it wasn't that long ago after all) expecting some alarm system to trigger the first time I opened the chests. Seriously didn't think I'd get away with it.
    Permidion_Starkdarko1beamdog

I do remember (it wasn't that long ago after all) expecting some alarm system to trigger the first time I opened the chests. Seriously didn't think I'd get away with it.

I was definitely worried that alarms would go off, the door would slam closed, locks would clunk into place and I would be stuck there waiting for Taerom Fuiruim to turn up and use his hammer on my head (I always thought his name looked quite scary, even though I tend to say it to myself as "Tea-room Fee-room"). But my biggest fear was that later in the game he would refuse to sell me the Shadow Armour that I so coveted.
    darko1beamdogUnderstandMouseMagic
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I rather prefer basturd swords over basterd swords.
    darko1beamdog