Skip to content

Baldur's gate 2 ehanced edition replacing NPC portraits (GOG)

LeinLein Member Posts: 6
I've tried to get this to work, because I can't play this game with the ugly default portraits, obviously nerds who have drawn upon photos of themselves. Anyway, I have looked around and it seems you should be able to just place images in the portraits folder in your documents folder to replace the NPCs but I guess because I'm playing the "GOG" version of the game this doesn't work. I downloaded the EEkeeper to try to edit a save game and change the portraits that way but it won't detect the game.

I'm not playing through this with the default portraits so I wonder if there's someone who has a quick and easy solution to this. Maybe a folder with all the NPC portraits that I can drag to whatever location works for the GOG version of the game, then I could easily edit the portraits without having to mess around with where to place them. I've manged to add a custom portrait to the main character by the way, but there seems to be no good place to put the NPC portraits.

Thanks

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    For portraits to be usable by the game they have to be in a very specific format. Here is a link to a guide on how to make portraits work for your game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Also, NPCs' portraits should go to the Override folder, not to the portraits folder, and have correct names, and be available in L, M and S versions.
  • LeinLein Member Posts: 6
    I have gone through that tutorial multiple times, they say both in the comments and in the tutorial that it should be possible to place the NPC portraits in the portrait folder inside of your documents but that doesn't work. The override folder, well I assume since I'm using the "GOG" version of the game and not some older version or the steam version that folders are arranged differently.

You find the game not within the programs directory but right under /C: under GOG games, inside the data folder there is no numbered folder to put the override folder inside of. And just creating a folder inside of the data folder named override and placing the portraits inside of that doesn't work either.

I have named the images following the list that is in the tutorial, doesn't the GOG version of the game support changing of NPC portraits? I have never played this game before mainly because of the awful portraits as silly as that might sound. Anyone who uses the GOG version and managed to change NPC portraits?

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Lein said:

You find the game not within the programs directory but right under /C: under GOG games, inside the data folder there is no numbered folder to put the override folder inside of. And just creating a folder inside of the data folder named override and placing the portraits inside of that doesn't work either.

This may be your problem. The override folder does NOT go inside the data folder. Try putting your override folder in the same place as the chitin.key file and the baldur.exe file. In other words the override folder should go inside the "Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition" folder.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited September 2017
    Or you can create an additional override folder in your Documents/Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition folder (the same one which includes the "Portraits" folder).

"comments and in the tutorial that it should be possible to place the NPC portraits in the portrait folder inside of your documents" - this is not correct. The "Portraits" folder is only for those portraits you can choose for your main character. NPCs' portraits should go to the Override folder, be it in the "Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition" folder, or the Documents/Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition folder.

This is similar for all versions, Beamdog, GoG, Steam, - it doesn't matter.

Here's what I got, still Imoen's portrait doesn't change ingame. I was loading a save, saves should update right, or do you have to start from the beginning for changes to take into affect? The portrait is just a placeholder I just want to figure out how to do it before I exchange them for better looking faces.
    Yes, saves should update. Yo don't need to start from the beginning.

The names of the portrais are correct. Make sure bmps are all 24 bit.

I see the baldur.ini file, while 2.x versions use the baldur.lua file. Which game version is it?

Just a test - check if these work for you (as they, right now, work for me):

edited September 2017
    It's v 1.3 2064 and no I placed these portraits in both the documents folder and the game directory. It doesn't work, it seems to freeze for a few seconds when I load the saved game though, so maybe it's noticing something. It's very strange, thanks for taking the effort to upload those though.

Maybe I'll just have to get the other version of the game, because these ugly portraits got to go. I come from icewind so I'm spoiled when it comes to the portraits.
    Ok I got another version installed, this one came with an "override" folder, I put the NPC portrait you sent me in that and...nothing. I'm starting to get slightly ticked off at this, is there really no easy way to change these portraits?

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Try adding a N to her name: NIMOENL NIMOENM NIMOENS
    That worked, thanks a lot now I can finally play through this game, hope it's good.