Skip to content

Bragging...solo monk run including Durlag's Tower

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

I did it! Surprised myself too seeing as how I always complain how underpowered monks are.

Lessons learned:

(1) To avoid traps walk close to the edge of a wall. You can get around insta kill traps, such as the wall crushing trap on the bottom level of Durlag's Tower
(2) Monks can't kill most foes. Terrain can.
- In Durlag's Tower you can lure elemental bosses out of their rooms. I pulled them back to the fireball room, closed a door, and let the terrain kill them for me (ice bear and air wyrven)
- Grael was too much for me. So I ran away and drank a potion of invisibility over the acid floor. He followed and stood there until he died.
- In the final fight with Sarevok I couldn't dispel his haste so kiting with ranged was impossible. But the room has unlimited skull traps. I ran over those until the room killed him.
(3) The game feels different when you are weak. Fighting trash mobs like guards in the cloakwood mines was challenging without full buffs. The character really felt mortal.
(4) Anyone can be a god.
- I really wanted to destroy the dopplegangers in Candlekeep for RP reasons and I had to save the Dukes. A monk can easily, with potions, get Str25 Dex25 AC-11. That is a force of pure destruction...not on a dwarven level, mind you. But those fists can punch through steel.

Anyways, just proud of myself so wanted to share. :)

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2017
    @UnderstandMouseMagic
    Thank you. :)

One thing I forgot to mention. When I first beat Sarevok, I got that dialogue message. Then Tazok popped out of the shadows and killed Charname. Then the end credits happened.

I was so bummed that I reloaded and did the end fight again. I still failed to kill Tazok, as he was 'near death' when Sarevok failed.

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    Cudos. Very well done.

PS. And its not bragging: its an insightfull lesson to most ;) - well at least for me
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited September 2017
    No wolf cloak? That item would be central to my strategy if I were to do a solo monk.
    In case anyone forgot: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/29500/how-to-make-monks-work-offensively-in-bg1-ee-with-just-one-item-really
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I had it and never used it. Never even thought about that. Ah well...might not have had to run away so much from random mooks if I had known about it. Thanks for the tip though.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited September 2017
    The wolf cloak may be helpful in straight-up melee combat, but a solo monk will probably be either at ranged or using stealth attacks most of the time.