Skip to content

Ajantis or Dorn

So I didn't realize there was an issue but found out the hard way I'll need to choose between these two. Is one worth it more than the other? I have a really high charisma and was doing a bit of a multi-alignment party so I was going to attempt to take them both like I've done in BG2.

But since I can't and either one or the other immediately seems to push the issue. Which one might be better to take? Not simply from a max damage stand point but tanking and otherwise usefulness of their kits both technically as paladin's and such as well.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Ajantis is the better tank. Dorn just doesn't have the hp for it.
    Dharius
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    As @ThacoBell said, Ajantis is definitely your best bet for a tank. The blackguard class has some cool abilities though, so I think Dorn might be a better bet for doing damage. I guess it all depends on what you think your party needs the most.

I also tend to enjoy Dorn more as a character, compared to Ajantis, if that means anything to you.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Second to @Papa_Lou - if mod with "NPC do not fight" is not an option and you do not want to change Dorn's alignment with the helmet, it's all about your party needs - Tank (Ajantis) or DD (Dorn). But unless Adjantis is romanced, I would keep Dorn for pure coolness and great VA :)
    Papa_Lou
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited July 2017
    It's also hard for any of the vanilla npcs to compete with EE npcs in terms of quest rewards and so on.

Don't forget two-handed swords can attack with extra reach from behind another npc as well, so you don't have to tank with Dorn at all really.

They're BG1s polar opposites as well... One is a full-blown servant of darkness and the other is a servant of light.

Dorn has a somewhat interesting quest, but his behavior of ''rawr im so dangerous and badass'' can get a little grating. He's also a little bit pretentious in his ''insight'' about other characters in your party imo.

While Ajantis is so devout and self-rigtheous in his quest to slay evil, he comes off as almost insufferable. Made worse by the fact that's all you really know about him, he isn't fleshed out at all and just seems like the typical narrow minded paladin. He is no Keldorn that's for sure...
    ThacoBellQuartzHalfOrcBeastmasterGrum
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    edited July 2017
    he actually is Keldorn. Just with the overzealousness of youth rather than the callousness of age. They are both pretty narrow minded. But that's not an issue for here.

And helmet aligning a change wouldn't help. it's a scripted thing that the two kill each other it seems. Even before you'd have a chance to slap a helmet on either of them.

anyway. thank you on the thoughts. It's something I hadn't been able to decide between.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Artona
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Actually, he's a servant of Helm, he just happens to be a Paladin... Helm is a relatively challenging patron actually, since his adherence to 'the law' can interfere with being a goodly paladin.

Ajantis is a great tank with item support, but many other characters are solidly better at it, both good and evil.
    ThacoBell
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    Dorn would win right now. Ajantis broke his sword and I was on the way to the mines to pick up a much better one. So duking it out isn't even close to even odds.
    [Deleted User]
  • parrkerparrker Member Posts: 22
    At which point does Adjantis attack evil NPCs?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    If Dorn is already in teh party I think Ajantis doesn't even join. I am not sure how it is if Ajantis in the party and Dorn is about to join, whether the PC has to chose directly. Other than that, Ajantis attacking evil party members is a random triggered event.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Ajantis does randomly attack evil party members, but it isn't really a big deal because if it happens you can just command him to stop.
    Chnapy
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I never really took Ajantis but wanted to try out the NPC EE mod by @subtledoctor on him once and changed him in game to a cavalier (1st ed. D&D put paladins in the cavalier class with Unearthed Arcana).
    Lawd, he's got special abilities galore then :* , esp with the Tweaks restoring their immune to disease ability. Made me rethink him, at least for a lil bit, just doesn't fit most of my runs with rep and alignment).
    With his special shield in BGNPC project and the bastard sword from Dorn's quest he kicks some tail.
    Dorn's kinda a mass murdering machine but that poison weapon comes in handy with a fighters THAC0 progression. He is a bit on the tender side though as mentioned.
    tbone1
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited September 2017
    Ajantis often says "Helm...give me strength!" when selected and "Yeah" when ordered to do something.

When doing both in quick succession he will often end up saying "Helm Yeah!".

I rest my case.
    tbone1sarevok57
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    fateless said:

So I didn't realize there was an issue but found out the hard way I'll need to choose between these two. Is one worth it more than the other?

Dorn's high strength and superior kit make him a much stronger party member than Ajantis. I always pick Ajantis anyway for roleplaying reasons, though.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Dorn will mean more damage. Ajantis has better survivability.
    Zaghoul
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    offense is the best defense...
    sarevok57
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
    If you can give your tomes to the NPCs then Dorn can benefit more from them IMO.

With the tome of Dex and Con Dorn will get improved AC and more HP.

The Con tome will benefit Ajantis as well, but his Dex is too low for it to matter so he'll need to use the Gauntlets of Dex anyway. Ajantis can get the Strength tome, but it won't help him that much.

But Dorn with the Dex and Con tome, using Legacy of the Masters is a fare bit better than Ajantis with Strength and Con tome and Gauntlets of Dex.

Dorn can be a very good archer as well and this can be very useful against some mages especially with poison arrows to quickly shut them down.

Ajantis won't be an archer, but can be a supertank and be quite powerful against Greater Dopplgainers and Werewolves with the enemy specific Bastard swords and a shield.

Both of course can use Spiderbane.