Skip to content

[Request] Anyone interested in doing this BG2 Neb-Soultaker-Skie mod?

mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
I had an idea but no skills or time IRL to do it. If anyone is interested please feel free to take this and do it and take all credit. I would test it and use it and be most grateful.

Fairly simple BG2 mod, no pre-requisites.

Neb has the Soultaker dagger. He heard about Soultaker and managed to acquire it and used it to keep the children's souls around. When you find and kill him you find it. When you turn in his head you can also turn in the dagger with instructions to deliver to Duke Silvershield. A few days later you get a messenger in an outdoors area telling you Skie has been returned to life and confirmed that you did not kill her. End of quest.

Or instead you could take the dagger to a large temple like Oghma in the Docks area and have them use it for a resurrection. Skie returns to life and you tell her to go to BG and tell her father what happened. End of quest.

Or you could even have to take the dagger to the temple of Amaunator and put it in the statue's arms. Skie returns to life and you tell her to go to BG and tell her father what happened. End of quest.

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    That plot is already part of an existing mod. Just there is someone more logical than Neb who has the dagger.
    When Valen (the messenger of Bodhi' s offer) appears as soon as you have the money for the passage to Brynlaw, she gives you the dagger as a symbol for what Bodhi has to offer, kind of an appetizer. Of course Bodhi has the dagger from Irenicus who had no further use of it and let his sister play with his leftovers, as usual. You can take the dagger to some temple and ressurect Skie. You send her back to her father to remove the murder accusation from Baldur's Gate.
    verlaineKuselBleriot
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    yep, that's way more logical. the dagger has to be somewhere around bodhi, to me that's almost canon....
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I see your points but it doesn't seem more logical to me. Why would
    Bodhi care about Soultaker as opposed to simply killing and drinking from whoever she wants to?
    It isn't a particularly powerful item otherwise. Neb made more sense to me as he wants to keep the souls around him. Also that mod is a lot more than a simple standalone mod, right?
    No matter, I will simply headcanon what I want.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Leverage against the PC, perhaps? She may not care about it but she might believe it to be worth something to them, whether it be for Skie's life or as evidence.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    irenicus gave it to her for safekeeping, or as a gift. it could be a powerful item, no specific reason why it wouldn't be an amazing artifact. we don't know what it's like.

irenicus doesn't want to be implicated with the tragic and chaotic events during SoD because, as a proven murderer of a duke's daughter, he'd literally have an army after him, and he'd find that so boring...
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

bob_veng said:

irenicus gave it to her for safekeeping, or as a gift. it could be a powerful item, no specific reason why it wouldn't be an amazing artifact. we don't know what it's like.

irenicus doesn't want to be implicated with the tragic and chaotic events during SoD because, as a proven murderer of a duke's daughter, he'd literally have an army after him, and he'd find that so boring...

Irenicus does the same that he does after he stole the protagonist's soul - he leaves the remains to his sister to play with. The dagger has served its purpose for him, the caught soul is worthless for him since Skie was far too weak a bhaalspawn for his demands.
    Bodhi feeds on the morsels from her brother, but even for her Skie is not useful when she has the prospect of Imoen instead. So the best use for it is to serve as a bait for charname.

Say what? Maybe I missed this somehow, but when is it ever suggested that Skie was a Child of Bhaal?
    mf2112

bob_veng said:

Irenicus does the same that he does after he stole the protagonist's soul - he leaves the remains to his sister to play with. The dagger has served its purpose for him, the caught soul is worthless for him since Skie was far too weak a bhaalspawn for his demands.
    Bodhi feeds on the morsels from her brother, but even for her Skie is not useful when she has the prospect of Imoen instead. So the best use for it is to serve as a bait for charname.

Say what? Maybe I missed this somehow, but when is it ever suggested that Skie was a Child of Bhaal?
    SoD is full of hints until it culminstes in her turning to the slayer in the killing scene. Seems you really missed this.
    verlaineKuselBleriot
    edited September 2017

bob_veng said:

SoD is full of hints until it culminstes in her turning to the slayer in the killing scene. Seems you really missed this.

What are the other hints? I kind of figured that the whole "becoming the slayer" is a dream.

Consider, for example - that the same "slayer" shows up a half dozen times in the game during the dream sequences. In chapter 10, you'll recall that Corwin becomes one in your dream.

I posit that the sequence in which Skie becomes a "slayer" is just another dream (note that it only happens when you sleep). Furthermore, it is *clearly* revealed that she is not the slayer when she dies. She is held in place and murdered by Irenicus because you will not kill her yourself. In fact, the "slayer" part is a trick. It's supposed to represent you defeating your taint and not committing the murder yourself. You still have your soul, so you can suppress the urge.

I think maybe you're taking the dreams too literally. Skie is not a Child of Bhaal. Neither is Corwin. The slayer - when it appears, is always the manifestation of your taint. It only occurs in your dreams and is projected upon others. Imoen is in your dreams not because she is a CoB, but as a placeholder for the taint.
    Post edited by BallpointMan on
    mf2112Sir_GarrickegbertBaptor

bob_veng said:

What are the other hints? I kind of figured that the whole "becoming the slayer" is a dream.

Consider, for example - that the same "slayer" shows up a half dozen times in the game during the dream sequences. In chapter 10, you'll recall that Corwin becomes one in your dream.

I posit that the sequence in which Skie becomes a "slayer" is just another dream (note that it only happens when you sleep). Furthermore, it is *clearly* revealed that she is not the slayer when she dies. She is held in place and murdered by Irenicus because you will not kill her yourself. In fact, the "slayer" part is a trick. It's supposed to represent you defeating your taint and not committing the murder yourself. You still have your soul, so you can suppress the urge.

I think maybe you're taking the dreams too literally. Skie is not a Child of Bhaal. Neither is Corwin. The slayer - when it appears, is always the manifestation of your taint. It only occurs in your dreams and is projected upon others. Imoen is in your dreams not because she is a CoB, but as a placeholder for the taint.
    There is already a discussion about this issue where more arguments are found:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66147/skie-whos-your-daddy#latest
    Bleriot

bob_veng said:

There is already a discussion about this issue where more arguments are found:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66147/skie-whos-your-daddy#latest

Reading through that thread, I think it's a *lot* of pretty weak conjecture. For example, pointing out that she can kill an ogre and such in a 1-on-1 battle early in SoD isnt terribly noteworthy. I suppose the game is assuming she's level 8, and more than capable. Her laying out Bence Duncan doesnt really suggest that she's a bhaalspawn either. Neither is a vague reference to considering many possibly bhaalspawns (which seems far more clearly to point towards Imoen than anyone else...).

I mean - you're free to believe she is a Bhaalspawn if you want, but the evidence (Of as the slayer in a dream - when Corwin is also one, of her winning a few fights, and her being evil because the detect alignment spell says so within the dream) - isnt even really circumstantial - it's down right speculative.
    egbertBaptor
  • egbertegbert Member Posts: 99
    edited October 2017
    [deleted]
    Post edited by egbert on