Skip to content

Dislike rolling for stats, 75 point distribution.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
So I really, really dislike rolling for stats. It's probably my least favorite part about my favorite games.

Well I saw in the 2e AD&D there was a method of character generation in Player Options: Skills & Powers.

"Method VII:
A total of 75 points may be divided among the 6 ability scores, none lower than 3 or higher than 18."

I see 75 is the minimum for BG/IWD and I realize for many of my stats I'll not be receiving a bonus at all. Should I use this method to avoid rolling?

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Let Auto Roller do it for you, if your platform allows it. It works quite well for the most part. I just finished a run no long ago with a 73 stat total (as an ogre). The only stats I had bonuses for on a wizard slayer were Str & Con. I really didn't miss anything and it made it more interesting when I did come across the various Dr.Seuss Tomes of Increase..
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    VallmyrsemiticgoddessArdul
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    I actually do have the SoB stat revision installed since you suggested it prior. Also I like that stat set up. Thank you.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858

Lately I've been doing something like this: depending on your character (and class), choose a stat you are great in, a stat you are very good in, and a stat you are pretty good in. Then use these stats:

17 - 16 - 15 - 9 - 9 - 9

Arrange them however you like. That's a 75 roll, and it lets you shine in one or two areas, without being silly. Stat boost Tomes and such will be generally meaningful, or at least half of them will.

This arrangement also has the benefit of being generally dual-classable, if you're into that specific brand of munchkinry.
    VallmyrSssiksseilor
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    http://webpages.charter.net/tedsarah/Pathfinder/utilities/pointBuyCalc.htm

Baldurs Gate is epic. So 25 Point Buy. Let's try a fighter. With +2 for strength...

Str (18) Dex (15) Con (15) Int (9) Wis (12) Cha (10)

79 Point Buy.

tbone1

Yeah but then you're a min-maxed munchkin.

Lately I've been doing something like this: depending on your character (and class), choose a stat you are great in, a stat you are very good in, and a stat you are pretty good in. Then use these stats:

17 - 16 - 15 - 9 - 9 - 9

Arrange them however you like. That's a 75 roll, and it lets you shine in one or two areas, without being silly. Stat boost Tomes and such will be generally meaningful, or at least half of them will.

Oh, and use Item Revisions to change equipment like the Gauntlets of Dexterity from setting a stat to 18, to boosting them by 1 or 2. It plays much better.

Finally, consider using my Scales of Balance mod to give more, and more broadly useful, bonuses to stats that don't matter in vanilla, and to give real penalties for low stats.

I think one edit to this method is ill then add and subtract for racial modifiers.

So like for a gnome Illusionist/thief I might stat them

Strength: 9
    Dexterity: 16
    Constitution: 9
    Intelligence: 18
    Wisdom: 8
    Charisma: 15

To reflect the +1 int, -1 wis
    tbone1[Deleted User]
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Vallmyr Yes, that's how the racial bonus is supposed to work IMO
    For that standard distribution what would you do for rangers or paladins that have high base statistics?
    tbone1
    @Vallmyr What do you mean?
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623

Oh, and use Item Revisions to change equipment like the Gauntlets of Dexterity from setting a stat to 18, to boosting them by 1 or 2. It plays much better.

How is that? Then they become next to useless for a char with low stats but kind of ok (if it was not for other items that are better) for a char with high stats. Instead of equalizers they just make the already powerful more powerful.
    ThacoBell
    Like uh

Rangers are required to have

Strength: 13
    Dexterity: 13
    Constitution: 14
    Intelligence: 3
    Wisdom: 14
    Charisma: 3

so you can't apply the 17, 16, 15, 9, 9, 9 stat distribution to that character.
    FinneousPJ
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Bear in mind that while only warriors get HP bonuses at CON above 16, halflings, dwarves, and gnomes get an extra +1 to saves vs. spell and wands if they have 18 CON instead of 16 (and dwarves and halflings, if not gnomes, also get +1 to saves vs. death).

High Wisdom is also useful for mages who want to cast Wish, but don't want to hoard Potions of Insight for every time they plan on using Wish.
    ThacoBelltbone1
    Vallmyr
    @Vallmyr @subtledoctor IMO you should keep the 9 minimum req making it 15 15 14 13 9 9 and creating an actual downside to picking a class with high reqs, as it shouls be
    Vallmyr