Skip to content

Do we have a barbarian NPC?

We don't, do we? Minsc is a ranger, though I don't see what's so "natural" about him. Maybe Bioware just used what they had. Anything in the mods?

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    There's a npc mod named White, a human barbarian for BG1.
    semiticgoddessZaghoul
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Thorfinn > DSotSC
    Wulfgar > Drizzt Saga
    Wulfgar > Region of Terror

And hundreds of non-joinable NPCs
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrBleriot
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Voghiln is pretty much the closest we thematically get to an official Barbarian NPC. That drunktard being a Skald and all. Minsc is neither a Ranger nor a Barbarian in my eyes. Just another tantrum throwing Berserker.

As for the modding front; there's also Bons's Bruce The Cockney Barfighter NPC.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Arctodus said:

There's a npc mod named White, a human barbarian for BG1.

I've traveled BG with him a number of times and he's quite a character. B)
    ArctodusStummvonBordwehr
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Thanks for the prompt @Tresset. I hadn't previously realised Minsc was a Feralan kit in origin - that perhaps provides a better explanation for the source of his rage than just the head wound.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    chimeric wrote: »
    Anything in the mods?

A few months after this question was posed:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/68262/npc-mod-ashar
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    chimeric wrote: »
    We don't, do we? Minsc is a ranger, though I don't see what's so "natural" about him. Maybe Bioware just used what they had. Anything in the mods?

Minsc's ranger traits: affinity for animals and foresrs, tons of dialogue and banters indicating him as such.

Minsc's barbarian trait : Rage ability . Oh wait, he's from rashemen and they have berserkers there!

I understand that minsc's rangerhood defies a few rules but it's definitely not an oversight.
    Voghiln is pretty much the closest we thematically get to an official Barbarian NPC. That drunktard being a Skald and all. Minsc is neither a Ranger nor a Barbarian in my eyes. Just another tantrum throwing Berserker.

As for the modding front; there's also Bons's Bruce The Cockney Barfighter NPC.

I think that having more savage origins and possibly living in a tribe qualifies a barbarian. Voghlin fits perfectly for a Viking-ish skald.
    ThacoBell
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    Now there is that Kale NPC - Halfling barbarian

pretty useful little bugger

I gave him the Boots of Speed, stripped from the cold cadaver of Drassus. Just imagine Kale literally stripping Drassus boots and putting them on his own smelly, hairy feet - tears of joy!
    I have Kara Tur mod installed, final battle is actually pretty easy because enemy mages are not affected by SCS AI for some reason. After the battle, that monk dude will sell you stuff nad he has a tachi or naginata named Blade of Lost Ronin or something like that. Well, just buy that sword and give it to Kale and just watch him doing KILL!

He is like RAGE! run run run KILL! run KILL! KILL! KILL! run run KILL! until no enemy in sight.
    awesome
    I'm thinking about using EEkeeper and changing his name to KILLE.

hmmm...there is a "legendary" ranger cadaver who has a nice chainmail, Drizzztrtrtt do Burden or something...yeah...that chainmail is just a burden for him...
    EnialusMeliamneGusindaRaduzielStummvonBordwehr
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    InKal wrote: »
    I have Kara Tur mod installed, final battle is actually pretty easy because enemy mages are not affected by SCS AI for some reason.

SCS only affects mages using vanilla fame AI. Most likely, Kara-Tur has its own mage AI.