Skip to content

Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms: What do you think of the new D&D pc game?

themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms

I'm liking it. It certainly isn't an epic game like BG, PS:T or IWD, but it's something fun to have playing in the background while I listen to my online lectures for school. And Minsc is in it!

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The way its DPS plays out is a bit different from other games of its kind, but I'm adjusting to it.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm having trouble understanding the appeal of this kind of game. From what I can tell from looking at trailers and descriptions, you mostly just sit there and watch the game play itself. I can't imagine spending hours and hours doing that the way I do with Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

Is it supposed to be just be something for background noise, like playing music on a device while doing something else, like exercising or using a second device? Do you even need to attend to it? Couldn't you hypothetically just leave it running around the clock?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702

I'm having trouble understanding the appeal of this kind of game. From what I can tell from looking at trailers and descriptions, you mostly just sit there and watch the game play itself. I can't imagine spending hours and hours doing that the way I do with Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

Is it supposed to be just be something for background noise, like playing music on a device while doing something else, like exercising or using a second device? Do you even need to attend to it? Couldn't you hypothetically just leave it running around the clock?

You can leave it running, but your progress plateaus unless you upgrade characters regularly.

@subtledoctor Yeah, I already uninstalled it because it got old fast. The idle game genre was born from, or at least gained a lot of traction with flash game players. The idea is the game plays itself but you have to start micromanaging to progress. Some people really get into them. Clicker Heroes was fun because of the math and strategy involved. But even that one gets old after a while for me.
    edited September 2017
    I enjoy it because its something that I can see progress in without having to pay attention to it all the time. Especially with a special needs child to take care of.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Ah - I think I misunderstood the gameplay model. I thought it was actively controlled.

It CAN be, and I'm pretty sire some people do, but its really meant to be a "running in the background time waster". I put maybe five active minutes a day to upgrade my champions and tweak my formation if necessary, then it just runs on its own.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited November 2017
    I picked up this game about a week ago (while the Liar's Night stuff was still going on). It has succeeded in supplanting Cookie Clicker as my idle game of choice. I'm currently rebuilding my stock of Torm Favor, having only just discovered that there's a penalty on refunded blessings (as well there should be, but I'd prefer that the blessing system only be accessible outside of an adventure since losing 1% of the spent favor is small beans compared to being able to switch at will between combat effectiveness vs gaining ALL THE GOLD)

Now if only windowed mode (1) was the default, (2) scaled well at smaller resolutions [I have a 1366x768 built-in monitor on my laptop, so I have to make my taskbar hide. This brings other issues since it's Win10], and (3) allowed for the screensaver without having to minimize the game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    I thought it was an amazing bit of restraint to not have Drizzt as one of the champions. Well that changed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    DEEKIN!! Bards and Kobolds, the two greatest things in D&D, together.

I used to be impressed by the devs' restraint by not having Drizzt as a champion. Now here we are and all the companions of Mithril Hall are available except Wulfgar.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You may remember him from Neverwinter Nights Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark, co-starring with Troy McClure...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You may also remember him from Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die and Gladys, the Groovy Mule.
    Okay, somebody has been reading my thoughts. The new champion is a Kobold duelist that wilds a rapier, has a swashbuckler hat, and a cool cape.