Skip to content

Essential classes/kits, skills & abilities for any party

darko1beamdogdarko1beamdog Member Posts: 31
Henlo.

Is there such a thing in this game as classes/kits and skills/abilities you absolutely cannot go without?

Would it be possible to finish the game with 5 beast masters and a druid (or any potentially ridiculous team composition for that matter) on "core rules" difficulty or higher?.

Thanks.
Post edited by darko1beamdog on

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    No and Yes. The game can be soloed by any class, so I don't think there would be a problem in principle with any conceivable party.
    ThacoBelldarko1beamdogGrum
  • darko1beamdogdarko1beamdog Member Posts: 31
    Grond0 said:

No and Yes. The game can be soloed by any class, so I don't think there would be a problem in principle with any conceivable party.

What do you mean soloed? The game can be completed with only 1 character without any party members on "core rules" or higher?!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Grond0 said:

What do you mean soloed? The game can be completed with only 1 character without any party members on "core rules" or higher?!
    Yes. Keep in mind that many people here have been playing Baldur's Gate for over a decade and are really, really good at the game.
    ThacoBelldarko1beamdog
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Zaghoultbone1darko1beamdogAerakar
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Essential is down to personal taste and playstyle IMO. I need to have a good pickpocket for one. Two, I need a tank to look after the pickpocket, and three, a good spellcaster of some sort to buff the pickpocket and said tank. The rest is just icing on the cake, but more than four in a party just gets to be unmanageable for me, as I like to micromanage each one as much as possible.
    It gets harder for me to say actually cause I tend to shift tactics and have learned more over time from focusing on different class strengths and weaknesses. I often think that having to focus on different skills or spells gives new insight to play in general and leads to more enjoyment or those extra special "Huh, never did that before moments". Those are the best moments IMO. B)
    Artonadarko1beamdogAerakar
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Thieves are probably the most "essential". Yes any combo can complete the game on any difficulty, but you FEEL not having a thief. As for my personal taste, it simply feels wrong if I don't have a Bard.
    Zaghouldarko1beamdogAerakar
    ThacoBell said:

Thieves are probably the most "essential". Yes any combo can complete the game on any difficulty, but you FEEL not having a thief. As for my personal taste, it simply feels wrong if I don't have a Bard.

Yup. I've played so many bards now that when I don't play one as my main PC it feels a little off without one in the group.
    ThacoBelldarko1beamdog
  • darko1beamdogdarko1beamdog Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Based upon my shallow experience, I would agree that thieves are the most essential.
    Traps have rekt my party a vast amount of times.
    ZaghoulAerakar

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Based upon my shallow experience, I would agree that thieves are the most essential.
    Traps have rekt my party a vast amount of times.

Yup. Without meta knowledge of multiple runs traps can lay waste to a party. Not sure of where or even if, what sort of damage they do even if detected, restricts some areas more than others, restricts treasure in the same way. I still forget sometimes what certain traps do even if I know about them. Stealing can easily add 150k + in shops with the add of a good fence to sell back to. Even with all that knowledge I just find it more convenient to have a good thief, even two, that can cover all the skills to a higher lvl better.

I usually pic up an additional NPC thief when they will auto lvl up to 5 or 6 and develop one skill just to use from time to time. It doesn't hurt to throw a 100pts in pickpockets to a thief that lvls to 6th, and park them outside store you use as a main pawnshop, let em join, hock everything, get it back, leave them there again, and go visit a fence to sell it one more time. Perfect use of a good rogue and how they operate.
    I usually let them have a bit for their services just for the RP aspect. B)

Stealing is much harder though in SOD and BG2 as I reckon the chances to be successful went down in relation to shops. NPC's are a little easier to pickpocket.
    Helps as well to use RR where the rules are modded to allow ya to talk your way out of failed attempt based on 4 different scores (Int,Wis,Chr, and lore), usually three attempts allowed based on those ability numbers. The flaming fist can be handled as well on failed attempts by paying a fine to them. Much more realistic feeling to me and quite fitting for a fast talkin rogue. B)
    darko1beamdogAerakarPermidion_Stark
  • VitharVithar Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2017
    There are some ''homogenized'' mechanics that classes have that will improve the QoL of your gameplay.

Open Lock (Rogue) / Knock (Arcane Caster) / Str Check (mostly Fighters).
    The above is just a 1 of many types ...

I suggest you dispel , detect invisibility , resistance buff and ''zone of sweet air''.
    If you are going to complete the whole Saga i strongly suggest you ''Pierce Magic'' types of spells (a lot of them).
    It's up to you if wanna remove that Stone Skin Buff that the enemy has with 20-30 hits or just ''1'' spell.
    Aerakardarko1beamdog
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
    I'd say that priest classes are the LEAST essential. Thieve are the most helpful overall, but there are a few key spells that make Wizards/Bards close to essential, like Protection of Petrification, etc.

But high level thieves with Detect Illusion go a long way in solving many problems, from traps to many protection spells, etc.

I honestly wish that several Wizard spells were Priest spells instead, like Prot from Petrification, Haste, and pretty much any other spell that buffs party members. To me, priests should be the buffing class, but many of the best party buffs were given to Wizards, who already have a lot of advantages, so...
    Aerakardarko1beamdog
  • ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
    edited September 2017
    Thieves and mages are pretty much essential, you could do without but lacking either one will make things a lot harder and possibly take longer. A plain beserker could probably solo but then you're having to deal with traps and magically being disabled different ways when berserk is down. Even more true for BG2.

Having a decent tank I'd say is essential for BG2 also, there are tons of class combinations that can be tanks if used optimally. You don't need a tank but the alternative is constantly kiting or using cheese tactics.
    Post edited by Zagacious on
    Aerakardarko1beamdog