Skip to content

Finally beat BG saga

Finally beat Baldur's Gate saga, took about 200 hours according to Steam. Toughest enemies vary based on your skill or abilities at the time of course, but I had most difficult beating dragon Firkaag and djinni Vidyadhar which probably took more than few hours collectively. Demogorgon was also tough and that battle before it was the only one I had to cheese out, where I planted about 30 Skull Traps before the battle and sacrificed a companion temporarily.

Oh my god what a series, easily one of the best continuous game series ever, even today. Very strategic rpg, which I liked.

Would you recommend EET for the second play through? It seems so natural to use.

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    edited September 2017
    Forgot to add from best to "not best" part,

1. BG2 SOA
    2. BG1 Dragonspear
    3. BG2 TB
    4. BG1 TOTSC
    5. BG1
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm currently playing with an EET install and I would indeed recommend it. I installed it all via BWS, which does take time (typically a day or two to get everything just the way you want it), but it dramatically expands the game's content and lets you revisit old areas even after progressing to the next game. If you decide to install SCS, though, you might want to pick only the basic components, because some of the harder ones are extremely challenging.

If you're playing EET, you can bring some BG1 and SoD items into BG2 by simply storing them in a safe container before you finish BG1 and SoD. Combining the Martyr's Morningstar with Critical Strike is very fun.
    Btw why does setting BWS take so much time? I'm no unfamiliar taking couple days of modding (TES3,4,5, FO3,NV,4), but I'm intriqued why it takes so much time, are there just so many options?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Wecome to the forum and well done. :)

And you're already talking about modding?

(I think we have a live one here, 200 hours pah, they'll be spending that much time on this forum alone talking about no reload runs within a month)
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited September 2017

Btw why does setting BWS take so much time? I'm no unfamiliar taking couple days of modding (TES3,4,5, FO3,NV,4), but I'm intriqued why it takes so much time, are there just so many options?

The statement about BWS taking days for setup is misleading. It pays to spend some time with your careful selection of mods and components you want to have. If you are not familiar with the majority of the available mods, this may take one or two hours. If you know what you're doing, you set up your BWS install in about 15 minutes.
    Afterwards, the tool just runs its job. Depending on your internet connection, your choice of mods and your computer hardware, the download of mods and their unpacking/patching and actual installation may take time (up to 20 hours for an extra large EET install). Fact is that you need not sit there to watch it. Other fact is that you can achieve the same in about six hours manual work, but only if you are expert at what you are doing - and that is just cumbersome labour the tool can do for you.
    You can do a very basic EET install in far less time (about 3-4 hours depending on your hardware). The most time consuming events are EET-core, EET_end and SCS (if you use it, which I highly recommend). But these tasks just run on their own once you started them, so you can do other things in the meantime.

The main issue - and the reason the BWS was created in the first place - is the large number of mods for BG. In an EET you can have several hundred components. Not all of them are independent. The more mods you select, the more dependencies, possible conflicts and install order requirements you will have. BWS is there to manage those. On top of that it searches the latest mod versions and downloads them for you, It does the job of unzipping them and putting every file in its place, applying last minute patches etc and then installing all components in the correct order.
    edited September 2017
    Yeah modding is natural way to enchance and spice up the second playthrough I think. Mods are what keep old games fresh, even today. Games like Morrowind I've played through like 30 times, and modders are still releasing new content to it.

About BWS, good to know that it's just matter of chosing and understanding the mods, I've modern hardware so that shouldn't be a problem.

The first playthrough was just about learning the game mechanics thoroughly, and I think I can concentrate the story and other stuff more the second time.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited September 2017

Yeah modding is natural way to enchance and spice up the second playthrough I think. Mods are what keep old games fresh, even today. Games like Morrowind I've played through like 30 times, and modders are still releasing new content to it.

About BWS, good to know that it's just matter of chosing and understanding the mods, I've modern hardware so that shouldn't be a problem.

The first playthrough was just about learning the game mechanics thoroughly, and I think I can concentrate the story and other stuff more the second time.

Just a hint:
    Currently the Spellhold and G3 forums are down (should be a matter of some days to restore them). Many mods are hosted on those sites, i.e. BWS will fail to find and download a large number of mods. Unless you have local copies somehow, it may be a good idea to wait with a large EET install until those sources are back up.
    (Also, support for EET and BWS is mostly provided on these forums. The beamdog forum for the most part just has other players who can help you with their experience but very little expertise when problems go deeper.)
    edited September 2017
    Yeah I've noticed that, well I don't mind some time off tbh, it was so epic series that I feel slightly empty and beat up (probably because of Viconia) now.