Skip to content

Belts for different fights or enemies

During my playthroughs, I get a huge collection of belts that add pretty good protection from different kinds of attacks (slashing, crushing, etc.), but I never care enough to micromanage them.

I feel like maybe I am missing out. How do you guys use your belts? Any specific fights or enemies? What's the rule of thumb to know which type of attack some enemy is planning to use against my party?

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    1. not planning on engaging in melee? missile/piercing
    2. you have a slashing belt? equip it (generally the best)
    3. you have imbalanced AC modifiers? equip the one that rounds out your AC modifiers
    4. you have balanced AC modifiers? blunt
    5. you only have the piercing belt (equip it)

parrkerThacoBellAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    parrker said:

What's the rule of thumb to know which type of attack some enemy is planning to use against my party?

Usually, you can tell what damage type an enemy deals by looking at the weapon they use. If they're wielding a mace, they deal crushing damage. If they're using any missile weapon at all, they almost always deal missile damage.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    In my low armor runs (like with a mage or kensai) I usually swap belts to protect from whatever I happen to be fighting at the moment. Unfortunately this basically requires knowing what type of damage every weapon and creature does. I have actually memorized most of the generic BG1 enemies. If you do get hit just look at the type of damage you took and swap belts to match.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    slashing is the most common.
    Aerakar
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I never swap items. Too lazy to bother with that kind of thing. :P
    OrlonKronsteen
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    The piercing belt is very useful early on against things like bandit ambushes, and I frequently swap it around to protect vulnerable characters. If I have a maintank and high physical damage is involved (like against Sarevok, for example), I make sure to have the corresponding belt equipped - otherwise, I sadly often forget about it.
    JuliusBorisovbob_vengGrond0Aerakar