Skip to content

Baldur's Gate EET BiG World Mod install failure?

AurethaineAurethaine Member Posts: 13
edited October 2017 in General Modding
I realise that these forums in particular may not be the best place to post this, but I already have an account from a few years ago, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Recently, having EET come to my attention, thinking that it sounds like a blast to try out, and as good a reason as any to jump back into my favourite story. The only problem is.. I don't necessarily like using NMM-type mod managers, and BiG is no exception. Though, unfortunately, I was unable to find anything necessarily conclusive on how to manually install EET, as well as the few mods that I'd like installed (namely Tweaks Anthology, SCS, a general Bioware NPC banter mod, and a couple relationship mods for Viconia and Keldorn later on). So I settled to make an attempt at using BiG.

At first everything went fine, and I was rather satisfied with it's functionality, went through selecting my mods, made sure everything was compatible and such, the mods downloaded, began installing, and the BOOM, "Installation failed, you didn't make a backup file (or something along those lines), please make a clean installation of BG2:EE and start again."

This has happened twice, I've tried making several "backup files" on several different drives, and I repeatedly get the same failure message.
Any tips/pointers?

Thanks~

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    For an EET install you need
    - a clean BGEE install, if it's steam or gog version, run modmerge
    - a clean BG2EE install

Follow the instructions here https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows/p1 step by step

Making backups is a feature during BWS installs but it's optional and you may skip it (I would, I'd rather make a new clean install than to bother with backups, but that's up to you).
  • AurethaineAurethaine Member Posts: 13
    Thank you for the quick response.

That's the guide I used beforehand, and although I followed the instructions as prompted, I got the same request/requirement that I start over with a new install, as well as a new backup.
    I'm obviously doing something wrong, I'm merely not entirely sure as to what that may be.
    BG:EE specifically, or can it be SoD?

Sorry, my mistake, forgot to be specific, it must be BGEE including SoD, both games must be v2.3 at least.

Sorry, my mistake, forgot to be specific, it must be BGEE including SoD, both games must be v2.3 at least.
    Alright, that's what I assumed, so I did that part correct, at the least.
    I'm at class now, and cannot exactly describe the issue in more detail at this time.

Though, late last night I attempted manual install, and came across a problem installing any mods at all, wherein I continuously got an error message saying that the mods were not being installed in the game directory. This was rather confusing indeed, as unless the directory locale has changed name and place, I was doing this correctly. I'm no newbie to Infinity Engine modding, and was dumbfounded by this error.
    Maybe there is some configuration issue after having re-installed the game several times and such.

You can check this
    In your BG2EE directory open the file engine.lua e.g with notepad++
    Check what the entry *engine_name = * gives you.
    In your user/yourid/documents/ there should be a folder of that same name and it should contain a file called baldur.lua

If you find any issues with the above, it may help to delete all baldur's gate related folders from your user/yourid/documents/
    Afterwards go to both BGEE and BG2EE and start a new game, continue until the first autosave is made. Having done that, you should find new folders in your user/yourid/documents/ matching your configuration.
    Next run modmerge if needed and then try to install a mod.

Maybe there is some configuration issue after having re-installed the game several times and such.

You can check this
    In your user/yourid/documents/ there should be a folder of that same name and it should contain a file called baldur.lua

If you find any issues with the above, it may help to delete all baldur's gate related folders from your user/yourid/documents/
    Afterwards go to both BGEE and BG2EE and start a new game, continue until the first autosave is made. Having done that, you should find new folders in your user/yourid/documents/ matching your configuration.

Alright, just made it home.
    Back to screwing around with EET.

I don't have notepad++, so I'm not currently able to search for that string.

This may be a tech-tarded question to ask, but when using BiG, and I am prompted to select the install directories for both BG2:EE, and BG:EE, I assumed that for BG:EE I'd just use SoD's install directory, was I incorrect in my assumption?

You can check this

Alright, just made it home.
    Back to screwing around with EET.

I don't have notepad++, so I'm not currently able to search for that string.

This may be a tech-tarded question to ask, but when using BiG, and I am prompted to select the install directories for both BG2:EE, and BG:EE, I assumed that for BG:EE I'd just use SoD's install directory, was I incorrect in my assumption?

Not sure by what you mean with *SoD's install directory*. For EET the BG:EE + Siege of Dragonspear installation (patch v2.3.67.3 is required) as well as BG2EE v2.3.67.3. You point the BWS to those two games.
    I decided after another failure of the BiG installation of EET, and my specified mods, that I'd just take my chances with manual installing. I took the order in which BiG seemed to install the mods, and just did that myself, one by one.

I played for a few hours straight last night without a hitch, everything seems to be working properly. So either I got lucky, or I did it right the first time, without need for trial and error!

My thanks for the help, regardless, and I'll surely be back if there's any other issues I find, or if I decide to take another swing at BiG again!