Skip to content

Throwing Dagger(s)- Yours and my Guide to a Knife Storm! {Spoiler Warning!}

2»

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Permidion_Stark Ahh yes, a simple horror spell can be mighty humbling to even the most experienced of characters, heh. ;)B)

I think for us dagger aficianado's, we need a lil quest to re-attune the moonblade to a PC(cause that's one bad dagger), esp, if say Xan were to die. A shame it goes to waste if he gets chunked or some such ending. B) Even if it was for elves/half-elves only, it would add a nice touch.
    Permidion_StarkAerakarSkatan
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    scriver said:

Is Holly secretly onr of Imoen's dopplegangers? She looks just like her!

I'm using a fan portrait of Imoen by an artist named NixxiCal from this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44895/custom-npc-portraits-masterthread-spoilers-obviously/p1

I'm also using the same portrait as Imoen the Shadowdancer in my Song of Six Imoens party:

IcecreamtubscriverAerakar
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    edited October 2017
    @Permidion_Stark

Xan's Moonflair has always been a Sword that uses Dagger Proficiency from what I recall; Since Mages have no access to Swords (and I guess be deemed cheating if they put 1 point on Xan?) I never really understood that, though. I'm sure there are numerous occasions where an NPC has things they otherwise would not if made by a Player in this series. (They just aren't coming to me right now)

Good choice of Dagger to pocket for yourself, though! ;3

Holly is starting to clean up nicely if she can tank Mages during horror spells ! I've never thought to avoid Mage fights, I usually just go in either prepared or pray for the best dependant on what team/solo I'm running. (Hint: Running an all Bard team and going straight to the FAI... Yikes!) I don't think any of us will forget how absolutely nuts that fight is the base copy... Yeowwwwwzers! Anyways, I digress!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the run<3 Missile Knives forever! :)

@Zaghoul

I usually just Mod in my versions of the Moonflair, it's really simple and easy to do, honestly. One of my many versions of Cinnamon, for example, is a Dual-Wielding Sorcerer that has swapped usual base HP for Dual-Wielding Moonflairs - Fiery Yellow and Fiery Purple. She's pretty cute!
    Well, I actually just designed gears to make Dual Wielding better and gave her 2** in Bastard Sword whilst massively nerfing her HP.
    Permidion_Stark
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623

scriver said:

Is Holly secretly onr of Imoen's dopplegangers? She looks just like her!

I'm using a fan portrait of Imoen by an artist named NixxiCal from this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44895/custom-npc-portraits-masterthread-spoilers-obviously/p1

I'm also using the same portrait as Imoen the Shadowdancer in my Song of Six Imoens party:

I count to five Imoens.
    He hasn't recruited the Imoen in Baldur's Gate 1 on that picture, which I assume is what he meant by "Party of Six Imoen". @DrakeICN
    Permidion_Starkscriver
    Yeah... but uh... the bottom "Imoen" is just a poser. That is actually just Shar-Tels younger sister.
    scriverBlackraven
    It could also be Skie when she had her hippie rebellious phase long before she became a noble.
    scriverPermidion_Stark
    @Permidion_Stark

Well, learn something new every day! I knew she was the VA but wasn't aware she also had an Album. See, good taste!
    Permidion_Stark
    Well, I'll have a look through all the stores and see how many I can count, thanks for the heads up!

My main point though is the fact they are limited and thus a there's a resource management involved and will vary on how many you use per playthrough down to what you're playing, what the buffs are and your general Thac0 rating. Also depends on how many random encounters you face as well, I'll see how many daggers are available and try to work out a very basic math haha. (or just work out the maximum, put that number into my inventory and do a full BG2 to ToB run)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    If I recall correctly, you can get a lot of poisoned throwing daggers in Siege of Dragonspear.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
    How about making this thread a general throwing weapons thread? I think of course about the dart archer! 1-3 dmg and no str bonus??? Well, the archer can achieve grand mastery, and with, say, 13 levels of archer, the dmg output is 10-12 x 5 (assuming every dart hits) per round. That many APR also have the advantage of increasing your chance to hit at all...

Now, the equipment might suck until you reach
    watchers keep
    , see;
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/darts.html

And you will burn through the darts at an incredible rate (well, again, until you reach the spoiler tag) but I am sure there are mods that adda better reportoire, or at least you can think of it as a challenge. For comparison, in Realmz, they had all manner of exciting darts, such as frost darts;
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT6Qn6FTqSlnlGRhWL_PgqygGk7fgO6TMRKY7Z6Fh0u4PKxFpX

(Fifth loot items is a frost dart, I think. Also I dunno what is up with theresolution of that pic, that game actually have amazing graphics);

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    @Permidion_Stark how is the kensai run going? Did you ever dual to thief?
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I don't think it got mentioned specifically, but one draw for a Berserker doing this build is that it gets around their inability to specialize in ranged weapons, and you get those awesome immunities from rage.
    AerakarIcecreamtub
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    Thanks for the guide. Has me rethinking the plan for my Zerker->Druid dual.
    Anytime! I update this when I can but thank you for checking it out! <3
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Fighter/thief would also be quite fun with daggers. You'd sacrifice much of the dagger only part but the extra versatility would more than make up for it (backstab, traps, stealth, UAI, etc...). For a solo run you'd have a very survivable character all the way through the saga.
    AerakarPermidion_Stark
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2018
    @Aerakar

Apologies for taking close to a year to reply, I have been away from the boards for a time and only just saw your question. My kensai never did get dualled to a thief. I tried out a few versions of the character but my favourite one - and the one I went furthest with - was when I tried a 'no potions', no reload run. I managed to get her to 8th level before I foolishly allowed a spider to get too close and got bitten. I was really annoyed with myself because it was a fight she could have easily won.

I'm planning to try the same kind of run again to see how far I can get. But this time I might relax the rules a little and allow the use of antidotes (I'm not sure about this though. It's a no potions run - but is an antidote a potion?)
    Aerakar
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited August 2018
    I don't think it is mentioned here yet but Tweaks Anthology gives an option for a relaxation on the multi-classed cleric restrictions on edged weapons. I found it just makes it easier to deal with both CHARNAME and NPC clerics interested in dagger usage. I always gave a dagger to my lil gnomish C/T's I ran quite a bit in the past. Tiax always seems better suited to use them as well, given who he worships.
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    StummvonBordwehrMirandelAerakarBlackraven
    It was worth the wait for me though! @Permidion_Stark <3

Sorry to hear one of our comrades fell to a Spider, those pesky 8 legged bastards! ):
    They get the best of us </3
    Permidion_StarkBlackraven
  • SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    edited December 2018
    Hello,
    Just thinking:
    If you put Crom F off hand and Firetooth dagger MH, do you get the 25 strength bonus (when you thrown it) ??? Thanks

It’s easily veriafiable but I’m currently stuck in bgee no reload challenge for ever and bg2 isn’t install on my laptop!
    Post edited by Souplesse on