Skip to content

Whispers of Silence - Cloak of Non Detection

This cloak is present quite early in both BG1 and BG2. I often put in on a thief - or as here on my mage/assassin Corbeau - for roleplaying reasons. But is it actually useful in any way?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    A thief is one of the few people it is useful for, actually. A thief's stealth ability is one of the few things the cloak will protect from True Seeing.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    @Tresset Any enemy clerics/druids/mages/inquisitors that actually throw True Seeing in BG1 or SoD?
    I am not sure really. I have never beaten SoD.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If you have SCS installed, then BG1 clerics and mages will use divination spells. And I believe that SoD mages and clerics will do so as well, even without SCS installed.

The only two kinds of invisibility that the Cloak of Non-Detection will protect are stealth and the invisibility effect of the Staff of the Magi in BG2. Basically it's just for thieves.

If you have Item Revisions installed, the cloak will grant immunity to all divination spells short of True Seeing, and will therefore also preserve spell- and potion-based invisibility spells as well, instead of just stealth.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    @semiticgod I have no mods whatsoever installed. Looks like the cloak is just for roleplaying purposes then...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It should still be useful in SoD if you're scouting around. Might help you escape the cave tunnels near the end of the game, for one thing, as I've seen clerics trying to reveal me as I tried to make it outside.

Bear in mind that there are BG2 enemies that will also use divination spells, notably Yuan-ti Mages.
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 939
    edited October 2017
    I can definitely confirm that several spellcasters in an unmodded SoD game will use divination spells of various different types, including true sight - at least that's the case on higher difficulty levels, I don't know how exactly spell selection and usage is affected by difficulty in SoD.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The cloak becomes truly *broken* when you mod it so that it gives the wearer "immunity to spell type" (opcode 205) with spell type 5 (divination attack)--rnemy casters will cast True Seeing yet nothing happens.

The cloak becomes truly *broken* when you mod it so that it gives the wearer "immunity to spell type" (opcode 205) with spell type 5 (divination attack)--rnemy casters will cast True Seeing yet nothing happens.

I did that once I think...