Skip to content

Names of other Races on Character sheet?

CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
Afternoon ladies and menfolk!

How would I go about getting a name to display in the character for races other than the stock standard ones? Eg, Aasimar?

I'm fairly certain this worked the first time I tested it but hasn't since? I'm not to concerned with giving them any unique attributes or anything, just have the name display in the character sheets.

In short. Is this possible?

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Since I'm bored, I did some experiments to answer your question, and I think I've figured it out!

The key is the number next to the race in RACE.IDS. If the race has a number between 0 and 50, it shows up in EEKeeper without the brackets just like the regular character races. If you want aasimars to be one of those, then edit RACE.IDS to say something like

30 AASIMAR

or some other number.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    It's possible if you're adding this via WeiDU - you may add the text to any entry, you just need to check its number. That's the code I used in my Verr'Sza NPC for BG1EE:

OUTER_SET rak_lcase = RESOLVE_STR_REF(~rakshasa~) OUTER_SET rak_ucase = RESOLVE_STR_REF(~Rakshasa~) APPEND ~racetext.2da~ ~RAKSHASA 128 %rak_lcase% -1 %rak_ucase% -1~ UNLESS ~RAKSHASA~

I am not sure if there was any line for aasimar, but I guess there may be because Caelar Argent in SoD is an aasimar... it's possible, thought, that even if the race name is present in SoD, it may be missing in BG2EE or in BG1EE without installed SoD. That would need to be checked.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Thanks guys! Worked like a charm. @OlvynChuru pointed in the right direction. :D

Wrote a little tp2 modifying the piece of code @LavaDelVortel provided. 185 was the reference for Aasimar. Seems to work just fine.

Thanks again :)

One other question, can the WeiDU be used to add new races? I added another to the bottom of the list with a new number, had to code add it to the racetext as well, but nothing in game?

This is more of a problem?
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    You can't add new races to character creation. You can however do what several mods at this point have done and give variant racial bonuses through dialog or an item; such methods also allow you to change the name displayed in the race menu.

Be aware that PCs with any race other than the 7 defaults will not be able to advance romance paths or use any race-locked dialog options or items.
    Mmm interesting, I didn't even consider the romance tracks. . .

Thank you very much! :)
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited April 2017
    I did manage, a few years ago, to add/subtract according to racial bonuses. But it had to be after character creation, when the game had actually started. So, say you expected, 12 Dexterity during character creation, well... depending on race, it may end up 14 or 10. I can't remember all the bonuses. But it was done via Spell. And then there was a Script to remove the spell once you left Candle Keep for the first time. I kinda gave up making it work in a less clunky fashion. :(
  • stkrautstkraut Member Posts: 10
    Hello everybody,

i am standing before the same problem. I have imported Caelar Argent from SOD to BG2 SOA EE.

But even when i used the method suggested OlvynChuru and modified the RACE.IDS (value for Aasimar = 30) and put it in the override folder, i have the value without brackets in EEKeeper and could change it, but when i start the game, where i should read "Aasimar" there is only blank space.

And i have never used WeiDU, so i do not know how to use the other workaround.