Skip to content

Party Composition Question: Mazzy or Imoen

I'm getting ready to go into Spellhold to rescue Imoen but I can't really decide if I want to keep Mazzy or replace her with Imoen. Not sure if the EE changed Imoen's xp amount when she is rescued, but my party has explored and done a lot of sidequests and just finished beating Firkraag into little red pieces with almost no challenge to the fight at all (I lost one of 3 skeleton warriors and didn't even need to heal a party member afterwards :P )

My current party is:

PC - Berserker (9) / Mage
Keldorn
Annoymen
Minsc
Jan Jansen
Mazzy

Typically just been using Mazzy as a backrow archer so far, which she has been excelling at. With my PC and Jan Jansen, I don't especially need another mage in the group, though PC tends to be up in the front lines tanking and hitting things with her scimitars more often than casting spells so there would definitely be room for another and Imoen could do well enough as an archer. Though I could eventually set Mazzy up to dual wield short swords and be able to go to town on the front lines soon too.

Tough choice. I like both Mazzy and Imoen. Thinking another mage might be the most powerful option in the long run, though, which would allow my PC to focus almost solely on her defensive magics and Jan to focus on support and party buffs.

Also, replacing Jan Jansen is not an option, so don't bother suggesting it, you turnip hating scum.

Comments

• EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 935
    Honestly, having an additional fighter instead of an additional mage will speed up your gameplay in ToB considerably, because fighters just deal very high and very consistent damage against the hordes of high hp opponents you'll be facing - and as you mentioned, it's not like Imoen closes any holes in your party setup. You will be fine either way, though.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I'd actually take Imoen in this instance. Since your PC is a combat mage, you're left with Jan as your only behind-the-lines arcane caster. Meanwhile, your party is loaded with melee warriors (including, potentially, Mazzy). Having a full-time arcane caster with more expedient access to high-level spells would be very helpful, and Imoen can fill that role. If it were me the question I'd be asking is who do I get rid of: Minsc, Keldorn, or Mazzy?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'd take Immy. I love Mazzy, but if you don't plan to use charname as an actual single-classed mage, then you need someone else to do it. Jan is great, but he's too weak arcane caster in ToB unless you play a smaller party to he levels more quickly. It'll take him a long time to reach level 9 spells, so Imoen can do that. Also, multiple mordenkainen's swords etc are excellent tanks to supplement your fighter type characters Kel, Minsc and Anomen.

Imoen will be lower level then you yes, but she will still surpass Jan soon enough.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Hmm. While I typically use charname as more of a tank and do damage with her scimitars, she is still basically a mage with some fighter levels thrown in and will have level 9 spells long before Jan Jansen or even Imoen..

And I do occasionally throw a Breach or Lower Resist out as needed with her, along with spells like Improved Haste, but it seems like a waste of time to use direct damage spells when she can slice things up so much more efficiently. I almost never bother with area effect spells like Skulltrap, though I'm sure a Horrid Wilting now and then would be nice (no level 8 spells, yet).

And I'm sure when she has level 9 spells that Time Stop will be something she always has memorized. Though playing around with Black Blade of Disaster might be fun too
  • CruentuzCruentuz Member Posts: 16
    I would let Minsc go instead of Mazzy.
    He's a funny guy, but I can't use him AND keep him alive. Always get pounded alot. I like fighters that can go beyond specialized in weapon pips.
    Mazzy is great for close combat too with shields and situation specific longsword. Tuigan bow for ranged of course.
    Imoen is family and has a reserved spot in my games.
    Also let Keldorn spend time with his family and give Carsomyr to Jan :)
    Cruentuz said:

I would let Minsc go instead of Mazzy.
    He's a funny guy, but I can't use him AND keep him alive. Always get pounded alot. I like fighters that can go beyond specialized in weapon pips.
    Mazzy is great for close combat too with shields and situation specific longsword. Tuigan bow for ranged of course.
    Imoen is family and has a reserved spot in my games.
    Also let Keldorn spend time with his family and give Carsomyr to Jan :)

Umm.. Minsc can cast Armor of Faith (up to 25% damage reduction) and other low level druid spells (yay for goodberry?) lol. Too bad he can't cast DUHM, too, but that would be OP. Easy to keep him alive, particularly when most of the baddies are trying to get through charname's mirror images and stoneskins and the others tend to be hitting on one of the other characters like Keldorn or Anomen. Jan and Minsc are must-haves in this play through for me. :P

I thought about dropping Keldorn instead of Mazzy, but I just find being able to use Carsomyr and his other inquisitor abilities to be too useful. Put the Cloak of Balduran on him (when did Firkraag start dropping this in addition to the holy avenger????) and he has 75 magic resistance. Overpowered cheese? Jan is a back row character for me, with only occasionally using Mislead cheese for backstabbing, which Carsomyr isn't good for.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    With your setup, I'd personally trade out Jan for Imoen.
    ThacoBell said:

With your setup, I'd personally trade out Jan for Imoen.

Not an option, turnip hatin scum!