Skip to content

whats is the best iwd themed party ?

I just ask, what is the most iconic in the nord theme ?
Barbarian, druid, archer, skald, cleric of tempus and what other classes ? which type of thief can be thematic here ? Or bard is fill more in the northern region ? What about mages and sorcerers ?

Comments

• saoxsaox Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2017
    I am anxiously waiting for them to add the Shaman. Other than that I think Beast Master makes a great addition! There is a black man playing drums-portrait that I think goes really well with a northern bard.

Use your fantasy. You can have a 'foreigner' in your party in the north, a wizard of Thay, a character from BG1 that ventured that way for adventure, perhaps the Planes spit out someone we know from Planescape ?
    Dev6
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    If you consider the fact that this is a game which originally was based on 2E and in the original game there were no kits, I'd say, the best thematic party would consist of at least 3 characters, a ranger, a bard and a dwarf (whatever class).

And use a non-kit bard, not a skald.
    wsnavigatorDJKajuru
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    5 Barbarians and a Bard
    [Deleted User]
  • RavandelRavandel Member Posts: 54
    In my runs I most often used:
    2x warrior, 1x ranger, thief, cleric, mage
    Ravandel said:

In my runs I most often used:
    2x warrior, 1x ranger, thief, cleric, mage

No bard to record their tale?

Reminds me of my first party in IWD, 3 fighters, a paladin, a bard and a conjurer.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I had fun with a holy expedition.

Priest of Lathander sent by his church to investigate disturbing rumours.

His sworn swords:
    Undead Hunter
    Cavalier
    Inquisitor

Stalker as scout

Bard as local liaison/ recorder of their deeds
    inethGrumAerakar[Deleted User]
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    saox said:

I am anxiously waiting for them to add the Shaman.

Ain't that the truth.
    Hurry up beamdog! :blush:
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Gnomes only. Best Party Ever. Especially if they are all from the Jansen clan.
    Queegonwsnavigator[Deleted User]
  • wsnavigatorwsnavigator Member Posts: 17
    Based on what I remember from Salvatore's trilogy about Icewind Dale, there should be one or more barbarian, fighter, ranger, or cleric. Up there in the cold it seems there is no much place for druids, mages, and sorcerers - if they come, it is only just visiting. Thiefs are probably not tolerated much in these places. No idea about bards or monks, there might be some.

When it comes to races, I suppose most of the local people are humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and half-orcs (for lack of options to play as orc).

Based on this, a lot of good parties can be created. While they might be somewaht lacking in the magic department, they surely compensate with their might.

Based on what I remember from Salvatore's trilogy about Icewind Dale, there should be one or more barbarian, fighter, ranger, or cleric. Up there in the cold it seems there is no much place for druids, mages, and sorcerers - if they come, it is only just visiting. Thiefs are probably not tolerated much in these places. No idea about bards or monks, there might be some.

What? You do realize that IWD1 has nothing to do, except for the setting with Salvatore's books?

And druids? Come on, Kuldahar is a village built upon an ancient druid shrine. And this is IWD1 based on 2E. Barbarians should be in fact a fighter kit.

And mages are common everywhere. Especially near ancient places of power, like let's say an ancient mythal.

inethDragonspear
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Elendar said:

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Elendar said:

Elendar said:

Telling each other stories about turnips and griffons... good times.
    tbone1Elendar
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Dwarven Defender (axe, shield)
    Dwarven Defender (hammer, shield)
    Dwarven Berserker (longswords 2x)
    Dwarven Fighter/Cleric (flails 2x)
    Dwarven Fighter/Thief (slings then returning throwing axe)
    Gnome Fighter/Illusionist (longbows)
    tbone1Balrog99BelgarathMTH[Deleted User]
    Redrake said:

What? You do realize that IWD1 has nothing to do, except for the setting with Salvatore's books?

And druids? Come on, Kuldahar is a village built upon an ancient druid shrine. And this is IWD1 based on 2E. Barbarians should be in fact a fighter kit.

And mages are common everywhere. Especially near ancient places of power, like let's say an ancient mythal.

Yes, the setting is what this thread is about. This fictional setting is defined in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, which is first published in the same year with Salvatore's trilogy - 1988. I've managed to check the Campaign Setting book, and it states exactly the same races that are described in the first book of the trilogy. Humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and half-orcs as playable characters, mainly barbarians, fighters, and rangers.

It is up to the authors of a fictional Icewind Dale story (like IWD1/2) to decide what races and classes would be included in their story. There is nothing wrong in making a story only with mages roaming the cold north. It would just not be typical for this part of the setting.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    @wsnavigator
    But aren't the player characters meant to be outsiders?
    I.e. a party of adventures from the Sword Coast who've traveled north, and thus wouldn't likely be very representative of the inhabitants of the North.

In IWD2, at least, the intro explicitly tells of the party taking a boat from Luskan to the Ten-Towns. I don't remember right now if the IWD1 story officially specifies something like that as well, but at least in my headcanon it's like that... :)
    RedrakeBelgarathMTH
    In IWD1, it is just said they are travelers. So it is up to the player to decide that those travelers are from the north - for example from other settlements in the Ten Towns, or rangers hunting in the summer, or dwarves mining underground, and so on. Well, it is also OK to decide that the travelers are coming from a region somewhere on the south.
    BelgarathMTH
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Hmm, i got an idea from these answers, to create an evil party. Escaped prisoners from some place, and try to survive and flee from the jurisdiction. Or like dirty dozen :)
    Skatanwsnavigator
    Playing evil in IWD1 unfortunately is not as satisfactory like say, BG1&2 or IWD2.

In IWD2 I am running currently an evil party led by a Dreadmaster of Bane. And having a duergar, a drow, a necromancer, a fighter and a bard along.
  • RavandelRavandel Member Posts: 54
    Redrake said:

Playing evil in IWD1 unfortunately is not as satisfactory like say, BG1&2 or IWD2.

In IWD2 I am running currently an evil party led by a Dreadmaster of Bane. And having a duergar, a drow, a necromancer, a fighter and a bard along.

Let your priest of Bane talk to other enemy priest of Bane in Kuldahar, there are new special dialogues for them. But I think you know that already :P
    Ravandel said:

Redrake said:

Let your priest of Bane talk to other enemy priest of Bane in Kuldahar, there are new special dialogues for them. But I think you know that already :P
    Yes, I do. And I also have a restored evil content in it, near Shanegarne River. Played over the years I think at least 10 evil parties. I once had a party of duergars. Another time, one of drow. And truly, in HoF a Dreadmaster casting Symbol of Hopelessness is the epitome of madness.

Although, as far as evil clerics go in IWD2, I enjoy a Demarch more. Mostly because of their better spells, like Executioner Eyes.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2017
    Now I'm playing a full "I hate undead" party using my mod.

Next I'm planning an Ilmaterite party (cleric, monk and paladin) with a sorcerer, a bard and a fighter-thief for the remaining slots.
    BelgarathMTH