Skip to content

What do we have for gaze attackers between BG1 and BG2?

Basilisks, Aec-Lectec... Period, I think. Vampires in BG2 don't have a charming gaze, do they?

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Tanari > Death Gaze
    Ghostly Apparitions > Terryfying Gaze
    Shade Lord> Level Drain
    various Beholders gazes
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Demogorgon's Insanity Gaze.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Do Beholders use the gaze projectile? I think they have their own stuff, not GAZE.PRO.
    Beholders use a unique projectile that's found in few other spells. As for spells that actually use the GAZE projectile, this is what I see in my own heavily modded EET install:

Terrifying Gaze
    Death Gaze
    Gaze of Despair
    Mesmerism
    Slayer of Corrupted Ducklings
    Nauseating Gaze
    Confusing Gaze
    Level Drain
    Dominating Gaze
    Zombie Change
    Frightful Moan

Some of these aren't in the vanilla game (and Level Drain doesn't even drain levels, oddly enough). The only attacks using the GAZE projectile that I know of in the original game are:

1. Basilisk gaze attacks
    2. Vampire Domination
    3. Death Gaze (used by Aec and other demonsl)

In my install, Umber Hulks use the GAZE projectile, but not in the original game or (I think) unmodded EE.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    In a modded EET game there are a large additional numbers of gaze.pro spells
    *Slayer of Corrupted Ducklings* I haven't found. Sounds like some fun mod?
    I have all those others from @semiticgod 's list

I have also
    Mystra's Minor Rage
    Mystra's Gaze
    Domination gazes from Sirens
    Wailing Death from creatures by the same name.
    The beholder gazes may be another mod addition as they only appear on some beholders in context of some mod added quests They are related to the special talking Beholder in Sahuagin City and later in ToB Sendai enclave.

Out of curiosity - is gaze.pro the one that can follow you around a corner?
    @PaulaMigrate: All single-target projectiles can follow you around a corner, theoretically. If you're thinking about the gaze projectile from my Seducer mod, the reason those spells can go through walls and around corners is because they have the "No LOS" (no line-of-sight) flag, which means the target need not be in your visual range; only in the range of the spell (which is just a set length).

Note that the GAZE projectile doesn't really have much mechanical impact on anything besides the fact that it's a fast-moving projectile. But if you have Item Revisions installed, a Potion of Mirrored Eyes will grant immunity to that projectile and therefore all gaze attacks, while the unmodded potion merely grants immunity to petrification, even if it doesn't come from a basilisk's gaze.

In my install, blindness also grants immunity to the GAZE projectile, but I think that's due to a mod.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Well, many uses, then, for Gaze Reflection that will be in my spell mod.