Skip to content

Descent to Undermountain: Enhanced Edition (please don't laugh)

enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
edited November 2017 in Off-Topic
This... "gem"... should be restored, me thinks. Maybe?
  1. Descent to Undermountain: Enhanced Edition (please don't laugh)23 votes
    1. Hella yah!
      17.39%
    2. Hella nah!
        4.35%
    3. Hella don't care.
      13.04%
    4. What the hella is Descent to Undermountain?
      65.22%
tbone1Kenji

Comments

• enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    Look here for some 411 on the game:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Let's see...
    Wikipedia said:

The game earned awful reviews and has been called the worst Dungeons & Dragons video game ever...

...Interplay acknowledged this poor reception with an easter egg in the CRPG Fallout 2, released a year after Undermountain. The player may obtain a magic 8-ball item which typically dispenses advice but also has a few gag lines. One of these is "Yes, we KNOW Descent to Undermountain was crap."

You can see a speedrun of the game here. It looks a bit like Daggerfall, but with worse graphics.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited November 2017
    I assume this was a game/mod even older than my experience with the game...

But in BG :

I have visited a part of Undermountain already in EE - or better say in EET. So there is a mod already adding that.
    I also assume that the Black Pits (the version that is accessible as excursion from the main game in EET, not the stand alone campaign) are supposed to be located there - at least the entry located in Waterdeep and some comments in the pits made me feel like this was intended.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I've never played it, but anything can be polished.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i hear this ggame is not that great so shrug.
  • Nah. Pool of Radiance ftw!
    the_spyder
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Psh. Maybe after they port Eye of the Beholder 1 through 3 to infinity engine.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Only if Uwe Boll is involved
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Will the Arms of the Roadwarden make a cameo appearance?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    An Enhanced Edition of this game would require a functional game to base it on. That never existed. D&D in the Descent engine was an absurd idea to begin with. But this game is a prime example of how publishers (if not developers) had utter contempt for PC gaming enthusiasts. They would force the shipment of games that weren't even working products.
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90

An Enhanced Edition of this game would require a functional game to base it on. That never existed. D&D in the Descent engine was an absurd idea to begin with. But this game is a prime example of how publishers (if not developers) had utter contempt for PC gaming enthusiasts. They would force the shipment of games that weren't even working products.

Good point. I guess it would be a better option to remake the game on a proper, modern 3D engine. One that is more suitable for such a game. I wonder if the game's content would hold up well enough, though, even if remade well. Would people be willing to buy it enough for it to be worthwhile for Beamdog in any feasible way? After such lore giants as Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment, I wonder if it would fare that well.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    On the one hand, I actually enjoyed this bugfest. On the other hand, I don't think it would be worthwhile for developers or gamers. So I say yes and no. I mean, I'd like to see Birthright fixed and updated but is that really worth anybody's time?
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    man after watching that video now i kind of want to play it