Skip to content

Witch’s Wake

taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
So, Witch’s Wake was a legendarily unfinished NWN premium module.

Are there any plans to work on Part 2 or add in a little more content for the to make it feel a little more "finished"?
britishjWarChiefZekeThrasymachussaramakosPracticalKatIsewein

Comments

• acidchalkacidchalk Member Posts: 70
    Seriously, i've been wanting more since the beginning. I'm surprised there wasn't a community sequel.
    taclaneWarChiefZekeHunterRayder93
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    acidchalk said:

Seriously, i've been wanting more since the beginning. I'm surprised there wasn't a community sequel.

Me too. It wasn't a huge module, but it had beautiful writing and sadly just... ended.

It was a little heartbreaking that after you finish it, the game popped up a helpful window asking if you wanted to begin part two..., even if it was never actually completed. I really wish I knew where the story intended on going.
    WarChiefZekeIsewein
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    I wonder what happened to Rob Bartel, the creator of Witch's Wake. Is he still working for Bioware?
    taclaneWarChiefZeke

I wonder what happened to Rob Bartel, the creator of Witch's Wake. Is he still working for Bioware?

No. It looks like he left Bioware in 2012.

Though, among other things he's been up to, he founded a small board game company in 2010: Famous Games Co. Cool!
    Pekingduckman
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    IIRC, Witch's Wake getting canceled after Part 1 had something to do with Wizards of the Coast telling Bioware they had to set everything going forward in the Forgotten Realms. Given that everything in 5th edition is Forgotten Realms-based (except for a single Ravenloft adventure so far), I doubt this has changed.
    maybe someone will come around and write up an ending
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I've never actually played Part 1. Is it something I should try?
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Honestly! This is what the focus of the revival of NWN should be planning to do; stuff like this would be ingenious.

I'd love to see a completion of the efforts of this module.
    WarChiefZeketaclaneCvijeta
    Vallmyr said:

I've never actually played Part 1. Is it something I should try?

I'd give it a try. It is a standalone story not set in any particular D&D universe and has wonderful voice acting and writing. It also has a fairly unique XP through exploring/interacting mechanic, not just via combat.

The fact that it is unfinished is a little bit of a bummer, but it still has a self-contained story, even if it sorta ends like The Empire Strikes Back. You just know the plot was about to continue going somewhere, but Part 2 never happened.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It's pretty good, but be aware that it's all set up and no delivering. Not strange given that it was supposed to be the first part of several, but it is by no means a self-contained experience.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I liked it, and wish it could have been allowed to flourish as a series. :(
    CvijetaVasculiotaclaneSilverstar
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Really would like an answer to this too. We getting the rest of WW or will it remain sadly unfinished still?
    taclane
    Yeah, if beamdog came in and wrapped it up i would be way too hyped for my own good.
    taclaneSilverstar
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Hopefully, this is a real possibility.

Hopefully WotC will be cool with it.
    Silverstar
  • FiastraFiastra Member Posts: 33
    A lot of players loved this mod, so it's great that there is a real possibility for new chapters :D
    taclane
  • VerinVerin Member Posts: 19
    I liked it, it had some unique mechanics, but, as far as I can remember, what I played was not premium mod. I could swear I got it off the vault, back in 2002.
    taclane
  • BradgeBradge Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2017
    "Witch's Wake" originally was a player-made module, if I recall correctly, but Bioware contacted the maker, brought him on, added voice acting and other resources to make it better, and released it as an official module.
  • VerinVerin Member Posts: 19
    Well, that explains it :). I remember it ended on the battlefield. Shame it was not continued.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So without getting into too many details:

Beamdog holds the IP to Witch's Wake BUT since it isn't WotC IP (ie, set in the Forgotten Realms) they may not be able to get permission to continue it in NWN:EE.

A modder maybe able to continue the story if Beamdog can't/won't do it, but they may need Beamdog's blessing first.

It was also suppose to be 5 parts.
    taclane